PDA

View Full Version : Play Ball, Part Deux

Gangrel
12-05-05, 12:50 PM
Ok....took a week to make sure my need to breathe through a paper bag had subsided....

Who would have figured when Kenny Williams traded Aaron Rowand, the trade wasn't in exchange for Jim Thome, it was in exchange for Jim Thome and Paul Konerko! :D Paulie says the single most important factor in him signing the new contract was the fact that Kenny got his hands on Thome.

I smell a dynasty. Now there's just that little piece of business about getting our hands on Juan Pierre before the Scabs.....umm, Scubs.....umm, Sucubs....ummm....whatever that northside team is called....do... :D

Stu
12-05-05, 02:53 PM
Ok....took a week to make sure my need to breathe through a paper bag had subsided....

Who would have figured when Kenny Williams traded Aaron Rowand, the trade wasn't in exchange for Jim Thome, it was in exchange for Jim Thome and Paul Konerko! :D Paulie says the single most important factor in him signing the new contract was the fact that Kenny got his hands on Thome.

I smell a dynasty. Now there's just that little piece of business about getting our hands on Juan Pierre before the Scabs.....umm, Scubs.....umm, Sucubs....ummm....whatever that northside team is called....do... :D

I was just about to start a 2006 Play Ball thread.

Indians signed Paul Byrd.

Winter Meetings are underway.

dando
12-05-05, 03:17 PM
Indians signed Paul Byrd.

~$7mm/season for a career 4.23 ERA POS?!? WTF!?! :saywhat: Yes, he logs innings, but gonna need a bunch of run support. 3rd SP @ best.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
12-05-05, 03:26 PM
~$7mm/season for a career 4.23 ERA POS?!? WTF!?! :saywhat: Yes, he logs innings, but gonna need a bunch of run support. 3rd SP @ best.

-KevinOakland gave Estaban Loaiza the same amount over 3 years. :thumdown:

Now if Billy Beane can unload the deadweight known as Barry Zito to the Dodgers, at least there is already someone for me to hate. :gomer:

But for now, Barry Zito still sucks.

dando
12-05-05, 03:32 PM
Oakland gave Estaban Loaiza the same amount over 3 years. :thumdown:

Now if Billy Beane can unload the deadweight known as Barry Zito to the Dodgers, at least there is already someone for me to hate. :gomer:

But for now, Barry Zito still sucks.
I'll be happy to send Dreifort or O. Perez...heck, how 'bout both for Mr. Z. :)

Byrd's deal does have an option for a 3rd year, BTW. I'm thinking there's no chance in hell they'll be picking up that option.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-05-05, 03:45 PM
Winter Meetings are underway.

underway today in Dallas. I wonder if there's a seperate kiddie table for Jon Daniels :gomer:

Gangrel
12-05-05, 03:46 PM
Oakland gave Estaban Loaiza the same amount over 3 years. :thumdown:

hehe You know....that whole Loaiza-for-Jose Contreras trade last year don't look like such a bad move anymore...but then again, nothing Kenny Williams has done looks like such a bad move anymore. :D

Except maybe not getting Paulie tied down when he was cheap before the '05 season started...

dando
12-05-05, 03:48 PM
underway today in Dallas. I wonder if there's a seperate kiddie table for Jon Daniels :gomer:
They stuck him in a highchair on the side...no need for a separate table this year since Doogie Hower, GM I & II are no more. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

RHR_Fan
12-05-05, 05:51 PM
A few nights ago there was a Brewers winter show from Miller Park talking about the up-coming season. It was so nice seeing baseball! For the Sunday home games they'll be wearing uniforms from the 80's (with the glove symbol). No major decisions/announcements have come from them yet. It'll be interesting to see what they do about the whole Fielder/Overbay thing.

~Nicole

Dr. Corkski
12-05-05, 06:03 PM
hehe You know....that whole Loaiza-for-Jose Contreras trade last year don't look like such a bad move anymore...but then again, nothing Kenny Williams has done looks like such a bad move anymore. :DThat was always a good trade for the Sox. Loaiza was never going to be anything other than mediocre with the Yanks and there was a chance Contreras might actually be useful outside of the spotlight in NY. Low risk high reward.

Easy
12-05-05, 06:12 PM
Chubs let Furcal slip through their fingers. Now they just need to look like they're making an effort for Juan Pierre then let him go to the Yanks and they can call it a successful off-season.

Let the mediocrity continue.

Stu
12-05-05, 06:36 PM
A few nights ago there was a Brewers winter show from Miller Park talking about the up-coming season. It was so nice seeing baseball! For the Sunday home games they'll be wearing uniforms from the 80's (with the glove symbol). No major decisions/announcements have come from them yet. It'll be interesting to see what they do about the whole Fielder/Overbay thing.

~Nicole

:thumbup:

I always liked the Brewers. Got a soft spot for my former AL Central Rivals.

dando
12-05-05, 11:26 PM
10. Milton Bradley

OK, it's true Bradley isn't a threat to appear on the cover of Model Citizen Monthly. But he is A) still only 27 years old, B) not half as volatile as he's made out to be and C) a heck of a talent. So he will be traded -- and probably sooner than later. The Dodgers have had nibbles from the Yankees, Astros and Cubs. But the team most interested is (surprise) Oakland, which has never met a talented bargain it didn't like.

:laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2245437

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
12-05-05, 11:53 PM
2. Barry Zito
That Esteban Loaiza signing in Oakland only makes sense if the A's turn around and deal Zito. So even though he's a year away from free agency, there isn't a single active pitcher under 30 with more wins and a better career ERA than Zito (86-53, 3.50). Which means the bidders could be lining up from Dallas to the Bay Bridge -- and any or all rumors are believable. But watch out for all these teams: Blue Jays (if they don't sign A.J. Burnett), Orioles (ditto), Indians and (who else?) the Mets.

Oh man, I'm running out and getting a #75 jersey made tomorrow if he comes to Cleveland. :laugh:

Stu
12-06-05, 08:44 AM
Oh man, I'm running out and getting a #75 jersey made tomorrow if he comes to Cleveland. :laugh:

Rumor has it Trevor Hoffman is in town for a physical. :thumbup:

Stu
12-08-05, 07:57 AM
Hoffman stays in SD so the Indians ink Wickman to a 1 year 5 million dollar deal!!!!!!!!! :) :thumbup: :D

dando
12-08-05, 03:24 PM
Hoffman stays in SD so the Indians ink Wickman to a 1 year 5 million dollar deal!!!!!!!!! :) :thumbup: :D
Hoffman just used the Tribe for leverage. He had no intention of moving his clan to Cleveland. $5mm is gonna buy Wick a whole lotta donuts. I hope Tribe fans are stocking up on Tums for next season.

-Kevin

Stu
12-08-05, 06:29 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH

Tigers sign Kenny Rogers to a 2/16 deal. Worst GM ever.

Ed_Severson
12-08-05, 06:47 PM
Hoffman just used the Tribe for leverage.

Nah. Here's what really happened ...

Indians Meet With Trevor Hoffman, Forget To Offer Contract

December 8, 2005

CLEVELAND — Despite spending two full days this past weekend with Trevor Hoffman, Indians GM Mark Shapiro admitted that, although the ultimate goal of the experience was to sign the free-agent closer for the 2006 season, the plan to make a formal contract offer completely slipped his mind. "I went to Trevor's hometown of Del Mar, CA Saturday thinking nothing but 'two years, $14 million,' but once I got there and met [his wife] Tracy and the kids—wonderful people, by the way—any thought of money was gone before I even tasted Tracy's homemade meat loaf, which was just delicious," said Shapiro, who then traveled with Hoffman to Cleveland, where the pair took in a Browns game, visited the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, and had dinner and a four-hour conversation at the famous Blue Point Grill. "Once we started talking, the evening just flew by. We're both very interested in baseball, and Trevor had some great stories from the '98 World Series that I could've listened to all night long. Really evocative storyteller." Shapiro was afforded one last opportunity to make the deal when he sat next to Hoffman on their two-hour flight from Cleveland to the winter GM meetings in Dallas, but Shapiro said he spent the trip listening to his iPod and catching up on some much-needed sleep.

:D

dando
12-08-05, 07:01 PM
Nah. Here's what really happened ...

[I]Indians Meet With Trevor Hoffman, Forget To Offer Contract
:D
You know, being that it involves Cleveland, anything is possible. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

Stu
12-08-05, 07:08 PM
You know, being that it involves Cleveland, anything is possible. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

Hows that hockey team of yours doing?

RHR_Fan
12-08-05, 08:10 PM
Lyle Overbay to the Blue Jays.

We'll miss you here in Wisconsin Lyle... :cry:

~Nicole

dando
12-09-05, 12:03 AM
Hows that hockey team of yours doing?
They won tonight, thx fer asking....and better than yer Brownies by far. Enjoy yer whoopin' this weekend, homey. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-09-05, 05:04 AM
They won tonight, thx fer asking....and better than yer Brownies by far. Enjoy yer whoopin' this weekend, homey. :gomer:

-Kevin

what's that term you're so fond of...? tallest... dwaft... ? :gomer:

dando
12-09-05, 12:58 PM
what's that term you're so fond of...? tallest... dwaft... ? :gomer:
:p

-Kevin

Gangrel
12-09-05, 06:33 PM
Ahem.... *Hawk Harrelson voice*

Mackowak......YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! :D

heheee

Woo...Juan....woo.....Pierre.....wooo.... :gomer:

dando
12-13-05, 11:53 PM
Gameboy goes to A's! :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2258032

Have fun with that one, Corkster. :D

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
12-14-05, 12:06 AM
Gameboy goes to A's! :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2258032

Have fun with that one, Corkster. :D

-KevinGot my bottle collection ready. :gomer:

tllips
12-14-05, 09:37 AM
White Sox are loading up on arms! :)

Javier Vasquez to the Sox for El Duque and Luis Vizcaino reported on ESPN Radio this AM.

chop456
12-14-05, 09:40 AM
Woo...Juan....woo.....Pierre.....wooo.... :gomer:

:laugh:

Stu
12-14-05, 03:03 PM
White Sox pick up Vazquez and his 4.42 NL ERA. :confused:

Is McCarthy staying in 3A or are they really gonna deal Garland?

tllips
12-14-05, 03:38 PM
Sounds like they are going to trade Garland if he doesn't bring his demands down. He has turned down $8M/yr (3 or 4 yrs I think) in favor of arbitration.

Gangrel
12-14-05, 03:44 PM
Sounds like they are going to trade Garland if he doesn't bring his demands down. He has turned down $8M/yr (3 or 4 yrs I think) in favor of arbitration.

They'll work it out. Garland's still young and is just coming in to his own. Whether they want to pay market price for him or not, he and McCarthy are the future of that rotation.

tllips
12-14-05, 03:51 PM
It is also rumored that the Sox are interested in Tejada and have 6 quality starters, so they can offer the O's young (McCarthy or Garland) or veteran (Contreras) pitching along with other players depending on how the O's want to go.

I hope that last year was Garland coming into his own and not just a Loiaza like career year.

Gangrel
12-14-05, 04:51 PM
I hope that last year was Garland coming into his own and not just a Loiaza like career year.

I am sure it was. The previous years, he had good stuff sometimes and bad stuff others. How went his arm, so went the game. A big difference with him this year was his pitch selection. He was thinking his way through games instead of just firing at the plate. Also, he slowed down, which allowed his breakers and sinkers to bite like they haven't before. One concern they had about him getting too much rest before pitching in the playoffs was that he actually pitches better when he is a little tired. When he is fresh, he has too much strenght and power behind the ball. Looks like he found a remedy for that situation, too. I wouldn't figure on Garland or McCarthy getting traded. Both are too valuable to the future of this organization.