PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coast Motorsports session Notes from Mexico

Allan Craighead
03-22-03, 05:09 PM
Friday Practice Notes from Fundidora Park

- The 30th anniversary of the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship gets
underway at 8:00 a.m. local time, with a 30-minute practice session.
- The session began under sunny skies, with comfortable temperatures.
- Early in the session the track is quite slick, as it is only used once a year.
- As the session progressed the times begin to drop.
- Pacific Coast Motorsports driver Alex Figge is stuck in traffic early in the session.
- The crew believes Figge is having radio difficulty, as he has not
responded to any calls.
- Midway through the session, practice is halted, as No. 19 Valiante has stopped on course.
- The practice session resumes, with five minutes remaining.
- For the final two laps, Figge gets a clear track, but makes a few
mistakes, preventing him from moving up the charts.
- At the end of the session, Figge is ninth quickest, with a lap of
1:30.858.
- The first of two qualifying session for Sunday's Tecate Telmex Grand Prix, begins Friday at 12:15 p.m. (local time).

"I'm a little disappointed," said Figge. "As expected the track was pretty slippery, but it got better as the session progressed. Unfortunately I was stuck in traffic most of the session, and with my radio not working my crew couldn't help me find a gap. Late in the session I got some space, but made a few mistakes. I'm not to concerned though, I know I can go a lot quicker."

Friday Qualifying Notes from Fundidora Park

- The first qualifying session for Sunday's Tecate Telmex Grand Prix, got underway in sunny, but breezy conditions.
- On his opening lap of the 30-minute session, Pacific Coast Motorsports driver Alex Figge posted the seventh fastest lap.
- Early in the session the track was reported to still be quite slippery.
- By lap five, several cars had entered the pits to make minor changes, while Figge stayed on course, posting the fourth fastest time, 1:28.481.
- With 20-minutes remaining in the session, Figge had dropped to fifth, while he searched for a clear lap.
- At the 15-minute mark of the session, Figge bettered his time, posting a lap of 1:27.734, moving into fourth place.
- Just past the halfway mark of qualifying, Figge entered the pits to make minor adjustments.
- Rejoining qualifying, Figge found a gap and began posting fast clean laps.
- On lap 14, Figge jumped to the top of the charts, with a lap 1:27.003 (87.059 mph).
- With five minutes remaining in the session, Figge had dropped back to second place.
- On his final lap of qualifying, Figge looked set to post a very fast lap, but was forced to abort the lap, when another car spun in front of him.
- As the checkered flag fell, Joey Hand posted a fast lap to capture the pole, pushing Figge to third place.
- Figge's third place qualifying position is a new career best on a road course and betters his 11th place starting position last year at Monterrey.
- The second qualifying session for Round 1 of the 2003 CART Toyota Atlantic Championship season, gets underway Saturday, March 22, at 12:50 p.m. (local time).

"All in all I'm really pleased with qualifying," said Figge. "We're a new team and things have been hectic, but the team has given me a well prepared car. I was able to post a good time early, but late in the session I wasn't very good at turning a quick lap. Obviously I think the track will be quicker tomorrow and I look forward to fighting for the pole."

Saturday Practice Notes from Fundidora Park

- The second 30-minute practice session for the Tecate Telmex Grand Prix weekend got underway in sunny and comfortable conditions Saturday morning.
- Following Friday's superb qualifying session, Pacific Coast Motorsports and driver Alex Figge elected to try some changes to the car in practice.
- After taking several laps to warm-up the tires, Figge did some quick laps to determine the effect of the changes.
- At almost the exact halfway mark of the session, the red flag was displayed for a car impacting the tire wall, halting the session.
- When the session resumed, Figge returned to the course having made additional changes to the car.
- Very late in practice, the session was again halted, for a car going off-course.
- When the session resumed, Figge was only able complete one lap.
- At the checkered flag, Figge was ninth quickest with a lap of 1:28.105 (85.931 mph).
- Final qualifying for Sunday's Tecate Telmex Grand Prix begins Saturday at 12:50 p.m. (local time).

"We spent most of practice trying different things with the car," said Figge. "I didn't get many laps in the session, but I'm confident going into qualifying."

Saturday Qualifying Notes from Fundidora Park

- Final qualifying for Sunday's Tecate Telmex Grand Prix, got underway in sunny and hot conditions in the early afternoon.
- While battling traffic in the early stages of the 40-minute session, Figge posted a lap of 1:28.601, eighth quickest.
- By the 10-minute mark of qualifying, Figge had bettered his time to 1:28.515.
- On lap six, Figge jumped to fifth on the speed charts, with a lap of 1:27.421.
- For the next three consecutive laps, Figge lowered his lap times, posting a fast time of 1:26.666, fourth quickest overall.
- On lap 10, Figge pitted, putting on fresh tires for the last half of qualifying.
- Upon rejoining qualifying, Figge immediately posted a new best lap, 1:26.502.
- On the following lap, Figge was forced re-enter the pits, when the Gurney flap on his rear wing broke.
- As the Pacific Coast Motorsports repaired the rear wing, Figge fell back to 10th place.
- With the car repaired, Figge returned to qualifying and set about posting fast laps.
- On lap 22, Figge set his fastest lap of the session, 1:25.669 (88.415 mph).
- For the second straight day, on his final lap Figge was in position to post a very fast lap, when a car spun in front of him, forcing the lap to be aborted.
- At the checkered flag, Figge was eighth quickest.
- The opening round of the 2003 CART Toyota Atlantic Championship, begins Sunday, March 23, at 10:30 a.m. (local time).

"The car was getting better as the session progressed," said Figge. "I lost a bunch laps right after I put on fresh tires, when I had a problem with the rear wing. At the end of qualifying I had a great car and was on a very fast lap, when a car spun in front of me, ruining my lap. Hopefully I'll be able to work my way through the field during the race."

Allan Craighead
03-23-03, 03:57 PM
Sunday Race Notes from Fundidora Park

- The season-opening round of CART Toyota Atlantic Championship got underway early Sunday morning in hot and sunny conditions.
- After posting one of the fastest times in morning warm-up, Alex Figge was looking forward to the start of the Tecate Telmex Grand Prix.
- On the opening pace lap, Kyle Krisiloff went off course, forcing four additional pace laps to be run.
- When the green flag flew to start the race, Figge got a great jump moving up several positions. As the field entered the hairpin turn, Figge found himself boxed in, losing the majority of the positions he had gained at the start.
- At the conclusion of the opening lap, Figge was in seventh position.
- While pressuring Aaron Justus, Figge remained in seventh place for the first seven laps.
- Working lap eight, Figge inherited sixth position, as Joey Hand went wide in a corner allowing several cars to pass.
- As the race progressed, Figge maintained the position, while steadily posting faster laps.
- On lap 17, Figge encountered lap traffic, losing valuable time to fifth place.
- As Figge pushed to regain the lost time, he posted his fastest lap of the race, 1:25.240.
- At the checkered flag, Figge had finished in sixth position and posted the third fastest lap of the race.
- The sixth place finish is Figge's best career finish in the season-opener and significantly betters his 11th place finish last year in Monterrey.
- The next round of the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship is April 13, at Long Beach, Calif.

"This is a good way begin the season," said Figge. "I got a great start and was in position to move up the grid until we got to the hairpin, where I got boxed in. By the middle of the race I had a really fast car, unfortunately I lost some time in lapped traffic and never got the yellow I would have liked. I'm looking forward to building on this solid start at my hometown race, Long Beach."