PDA

View Full Version : The BC$ Smack

dando
12-04-05, 12:41 PM
Invites due out @ 6pm ET on E$PN. Here's the take from SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/stewart_mandel/12/04/final.bowl.projections/index.html

After the upsets last night, there is no controversy other than ND as the @ large selection, and I doubt anyone can argue with the Fiesta taking them first. Catholic foosball fan gots cha ching. :)

Big 10/SEC smack down with Goters/Hawkeyes and Badgers/Tigers (that will be ugly if it happens), Big Twinkie/SEC with TT/Bama, Big Twinkie/Big 10 with UM/black shirts, and Pac 10/Big Twinkie preview showdown with Okie/Ducks. It's gonna be a fun bowl week! w00t!

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-04-05, 05:37 PM
BCS selection show at 5 EST on ABC...

that was one stressful experience last year :)

Rose: #1 USC vs. #2 UT
Orange: #3 PSU vs. FSU
Sugar: #7 UGa vs. #11 WVU
Fiesta: #6 ND vs. #4 tOSU

:cry:

dando
12-04-05, 06:45 PM
ND. I want me some of dat shizzle. :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-04-05, 06:49 PM
ND. I want me some of dat shizzle. :D

-Kevin

you tivo the selection show? this season review is good stuff.

auburn wisky cap one bowl? :saywhat: too bad big-10 has 2 bcs teams, auburn OSU would kick ass...

coolhand
12-04-05, 07:12 PM
what are your predictions for Oregon v. OU
and NW v UCLA?

Dr. Corkski
12-04-05, 07:24 PM
NW v UCWestwood?There is going to be better defense on the Mexican side of the border patrol than at that game.

dando
12-04-05, 07:46 PM
you tivo the selection show? this season review is good stuff.

auburn wisky cap one bowl? :saywhat: too bad big-10 has 2 bcs teams, auburn OSU would kick ass...
Caught bits while prepping and cooking dinner. War Eagle vs. Bucks was a matchup that was mentioned a few weeks back, but it never made sense. Not sure I'd want a piece of that, despite what coolhand sez. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-04-05, 07:59 PM
and NW v UCLA?
OU's running game will cause probs for the Ducks. Should be a close game.
I wouldn't want to guess on an over/under for NW/UCLA. Should be in triple digits. If NW wins, you can expect alot of smack talk from me, as NW is the Big Ten 5 or 6 vs. Pac 10 #3. :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-04-05, 08:15 PM
and NW v UCLA?

they're pac-10 bowls not on new years day or new years eve.

newsflash: no one GAF :gomer:

Caught bits while prepping and cooking dinner. War Eagle vs. Bucks was a matchup that was mentioned a few weeks back, but it never made sense. Not sure I'd want a piece of that, despite what coolhand sez.
what? afraid of the SEC? ;) If it plays out well, Big-10 could end up with #2 and #3 in the final polls... not bad.

Big 12's gonna get rolled this bowl season, CU vs. Clemson, Nebraska vs. Michigan, Mizzou vs. USC, TCU vs. Iowa State...

I call Clemson, michigan, USC, and TCU in all of those...

dando
12-04-05, 08:26 PM
There is going to be better defense on the Mexican side of the border patrol than at that game.

:laugh:

I don't think you could get a decent D outta those two if you combined both teams.

-Kevin

Car-B-Q
12-04-05, 08:49 PM
Anyone else think that 8-4 FSU getting a BCS game is a crock?
So much for getting the best teams into the BCS. Oh well, I guess that's better than f'n up the #1 vs. #2 game.

dando
12-04-05, 08:56 PM
So much for getting the best teams into the BCS. Oh well, I guess that's better than f'n up the #1 vs. #2 game.
Of course, and so is the Big lEast getting into it. I've long been a proponent of a playoff. Take the top 8 BC$ teams, and three weeks late you'll have a legit champ. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-04-05, 08:57 PM

BCS never pretended to match up the top 8 teams in the top 4 bowls... the only purpose was to pit 1 vs 2, and beyond that put together the conf champs with the best possible at larges and spread the resulting wealth amongst the conferences... the advent of the BCS system didn't bring about the 12 team mega-conferences which required a title game, nor is the BCS responsible for bowls having conference championship tie-ins.

ppl wanna give the BCS **** for last year, well last year OU Auburn and USC would've been in 3 diff bowls. this year UT and USC would be in diff bowls, FSU would still be going to the Orange w/o the BCS, only thing is that Ohio State, West Virginia, and Notre Dame wouldn't be guaranteed any appearance, although ND would most certainly be invited, WV would probably have been snubbed for for Auburn or someone. and UT would be facing Oregon if the Fiesta was unsuccessful in lobbying for Notre Dame...

Dr. Corkski
12-04-05, 09:10 PM
This wouldn't be the first time the ACC sent a weak FSU team to the BCS.

They need to eliminate any teams with more than 2 losses from any of the BCS bowls, conference champion or not. If any of the BCS conference champs has more than 2 losses their spot should be opened up for at large teams.

Ankf00
12-04-05, 09:14 PM
This wouldn't be the first time the ACC sent a weak FSU team to the BCS.

They need to eliminate any teams with more than 2 losses from any of the BCS bowls, conference champion or not. If any of the BCS conference champs has more than 2 losses their spot should be opened up for at large teams.

if they forced conferences to max out at 10 teams and play full-round robin, we wouldn't have this problem w/ the title games allowing posers to back their way into a major bowl w/ merely one good performance...

coolhand
12-04-05, 10:11 PM
Its the Conference Champ games that allow this to happen.

Dr. Corkski
12-04-05, 10:16 PM
FSU went to the 2003 Sugar Bowl at 9-4 as the ACC champ.

skaven
12-04-05, 11:53 PM
Big 10/SEC smack down with Goters/Hawkeyes and Badgers/Tigers (that will be ugly if it happens

Go SEC. We better cheat or something this year vs. Iowa. :gomer:

That last loss to them was ugly. The Goters just didn't seem interested to be there. Hopefully Urban Legend can get them motivated to play.

You know, we actually beat two BCS teams. We should get some of that $$$. :cry:

dando
12-05-05, 12:11 AM
You know, we actually beat two BCS teams. We should get some of that $$$.
Well you do, or FL does to be correct. BC$ $$$ (I know that's redundant :gomer: ) goes to the conferences and is distributed to all conference teams....except in ND's case.

Die, Irish, die! :flame: :mad: ;)

-Kevin

dando
12-05-05, 12:15 AM
Conference championship games cheapen the regular season, but they generated big $$$, so they are here to stay. I hope the Big 10 never goes +1 for two divisions and a championship game. If the NCAA had any sense @ all, they would eliminate the conference championship game, lose the 12th game, mandate round robin conference play, and institute a playoff system using the two 'saved' games, and add one more for the championship. It's that bloody simple. Just do it.

-Kevin

CART T. Katz
12-05-05, 02:14 AM
i wish you people would lay off the big east. it's a down conference this year. and? teams go in cycles. at one time neither texas or southern cal or notre dame or ohio state or penn state weren't any good and all of them once during the past 10 years. just because the big east didn't have any highly ranked teams this year at the end is not a reason to dump them or even considering dumping them. besides, who are you going to replace the big east with, hmm?

the mountain west? oops, they are tcu and the 8 dwarfs. plus they had a collective sagarin behind the big east AND d1-a independants, and that was only because it was heavily influenced by notre dame.

conference usa? oops, they don't have a top 25 ranked team in EITHER poll that had winless central florida in their championship game.

the mid american conference? oops, their champion is barely bowl eligible.

the western athletic conference? two words- smurf turf. any team that has to use its gimmicky field as an attraction deserves to be treated as minor league.

the sun belt? oops, their champion is 6 up and 5 down.

and of those conferences that i mentioned, there are only six schools located in what are considered major media markets, the standard i apply is being bigger than louisville. the big east has five of those teams (including us) alone. and the bcs is also about big tv markets as well as getting 1 vs 2. to tell the truth, if any conference should have been in danger of getting their bcs position ripped, it should be the acc. the year before vpi and miami jumped, the acc's average poll position of the conference champ was worse than the big east.

everyone seems to revel in the fact that the big east is the 6th of the big 6. funny how no one seems to mention that an unranked stanford and poorly ranked fsu made it to bcs bowls. if the big xii north were a seperate conference, i'll bet every team outside syracuse smokes the entire division. just think if texas was challenged by colorado. or even better- if they were BEATEN by colorado. give us 2 years, and i believe that the big east will overtake the sec as the 5th best sagarin conference. don't sleep on south florida or syracuse in the future (and unless you have watched the conference this year closely i think its fair if you don't comment).

frankly i'm tired of the double standard. if you eliminate the big east and don't replace them with another conference, that means that a majority of division 1-a is out of the bcs and the establishment doesn't want that.

frankly i'm glad that 4 loss and 22 ranked (which is lower than the second place big east team) fsu made a bcs bowl. if anything it may increase the time that this fecking retarded bcs crap goes away.

:flame:
/rant

Dr. Corkski
12-05-05, 02:44 AM
So the argument for the Big lEast is that give them a few years with a guaranteed BCS bowl, they might be more deserving of it than good at-large teams and great mid-majors.

Stick to basketball. :laugh:

Ankf00
12-05-05, 03:00 AM
Blame the Orange Bowl, not the BCS. The Orange Bowl could've picked WVU instead of FSU for their anchor bid, they chose not to. If there was no BCS WVU probably doesn't even get to go to ANY bcs bowl if their own home bowl isn't willing to take them. What's it say when the Orange Bowl picks a 4 loss FSU team over 1 loss Big East champions?

Pitt, Rutgers, UConn, USF, Cinci? You're saying those guys would roll the big 12 north? Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, Iowa State, Kansas? give me a break.

Rutgers couldn't even beat ILLINOIS, Iowa State put it to Iowa. Pitt lost to OHIO UNIVERSITY. The majority of the Big Least would be lucky to hang with the MAC, let alone any real BCS conf. Hey, go figure, 40% of the Big Least comes from a conf even worse than the MAC. Pitt couldn't even pretend to deserve to be on the same field as a Mountain West team last year.

and don't act like you didn't bitch about the Big East's auto BCS bid when L-ville was in CUSA and was on the outside looking in, you know you were along with everyone else

Losing BC, VT, and Miami, and replacing them with L-ville, USF, and Cincinatti is not called "a down year." It's called bait & switch.

CART T. Katz
12-05-05, 06:54 PM
f00 you are illustrating my point perfectly.

tell me, have any of you watched much big east football this year? :shakehead i'm sure most of you know this, but espn is majorly biased towards some conferences. you know who was hurt just as much as the big east when the acc came raiding? the four letter network. and now just because there isn't a big named team, espn is trying to dump their contract with the big east as far as football is concerned. but some of these teams have the makings of being forces in the coming years. (that's what i mean by giving the big east time. not just to cash the checks because the top of the conference is deserving but time for these teams to develop their players.) south florida is pretty good. if they didn't redshirt some of their defensive upperclassmen last year in preparation for big east play, they would have been in a bowl last year. rutgers is improving. uconn just had their first d1-a losing season this year. pittsburgh despite wannsteadt is getting better. cincy just had a coaching change, but they were pretty competitive. every single one of you has bought into the disney hype that the acc is some god conference (its not) and the sec is the best football conference in the nation (it's not either).

stop looking at the records exclusively. you all know that there are some bad teams with winning records and good teams with losing records. the entire big xii north is a joke; when your division champ backs in with what was it, 3 straight losses and desides not to leave campus for the championship game, that is a joke.

the orange bowl desided to hang with the home conference of the home team, and miami is a part of the acc now. makes perfect sense to me. i think that most bowls try really hard to be affiliated with the conference of the home team.

and just so you know, i didn't bitch about the big east's spot when we were in c-usa, if anything it just wanted us as a collective fanbase to get in the big east faster. that was because the big east was a better conference than c-usa. any football related posts i made anywhere were something similar to "get us out of this crappy conference and in the big east". if there was any complaining going on, it was towards uab and tulane and memphis (especially memphis) for not letting at least louisville go to the big east last year and last year's team would have definitely given the big east credibility.

i asked for other big east fans help in defending my conference seeing as how this is 2 on 1. i think that the biggest point made that i believe was that the four year ranking of the big east champion was 1-9-10-11, well within the standard set of 12 with an average of 7.75. that standard was set by the OTHER conferences. if you have a problem with the big east as a bcs league, take it up with the other conference commissioners. they set the bar and the big east has met it. and should the big east no longer meet that standard, i won't say anything because we didn't meet the set standard and to be upset about it is simply triffling. but kick out the big east when it's meeting the standards will bring a lawsuit so large it will make the scientologists jealous.

it will be very interesting to see what the reaction will be should another conference have all its teams go bad for a few seasons. i don't recall the outrage before when the acc was florida state and the seven dwarfs or when the big 11 was the last of the 6 years ago with iowa and michigan ranked in the bsc at 11 and 12 respective or when the pac 10 sent unranked stanford (bcs 22) to the rose bowl in 1999. i hope the call goes out to get rid of them is just as loud and just as vicious. you are all suffering from gomerlike revisionist history.

Wheel-Nut
12-05-05, 07:13 PM

I agree. Where's LSU??

Ankf00
12-05-05, 07:33 PM
Yea, I have watched Big East football. It's much akin to watching high school playoffs once you get past WVU and L-ville :gomer: Well, not really, watching UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, it was painful... Watching Matt Stafford play vs. Jevan Snead this weekend, that was fun... 2 of the top qb's coming out this year.

stop looking at the records exclusively. you all know that there are some bad teams with winning records and good teams with losing records. the entire big xii north is a joke; when your division champ backs in with what was it, 3 straight losses and desides not to leave campus for the championship game, that is a joke.

Rutgers, Cincinatti, USF, UConn, Pitt constituting the "mid-pack" of the Big East is what's a joke. You can cite the 4 year avg of the Big East all you want, but you're taking credit for teams that no longer play in the BE. I personally don't care if the Big East has an auto-bid or not, but sorry, the MAC certainly has more depth... BE only has 2 teams w/ more than 8 wins and you're ragging on a division that has more bowl eligible teams than an entire CONFERENCE? :laugh:

Stop looking at the records? Yes, lets ignore the fact that Rutgers fell to Illinois, Pitt to Ohio University...

The only Big East teams to have ever vied for a national title the past 15 years are now in the ACC, and to replace them the BE has CUSA teams? 2 elite programs for 2 crap CUSA ones. Replace one good program in BC with another good one in L-ville. Syracuse is the ONLY team in the Big East w/ a natl title and that was in 59, last time WVU even played for one was 89

You earn credibility w/ results on the field, not excuses about "we might be good in a few years, give us a chance." Outside of L-ville and WVU no one's been relevant the past 10 years.

Stick to basketball, it's where you get to stick it to the ACC ;)

Ankf00
12-05-05, 07:37 PM
I agree. Where's LSU??

playing Miami, should be good stuff.

Dr. Corkski
12-05-05, 08:09 PM
A lot of mid major teams can say they will be a force in a few years if their recruiters can go around telling kids that they will have a 1 in 8 shot against a pile of mediocrity.

How many bowl bound teams did the Big lEast teams beat in non-conference play? :gomer:

Taking out Miami, Va Tech, and BC, and including the 3 powerhouse teams they took from college football powerhouse C-USA, their rankings are more like 15-unranked-10-11. :laugh:

dando
12-05-05, 08:13 PM
I agree. Where's LSU??
The system works, you see. 10-2 LSU is lower ranked than 9-2 Auburn, which LSU defeated (although due to 5 missed FGs by Auburn's K). So where's LSU? Ca$hing a check from the conference championship game, wondering why they aren't cashing a bigger check from the BC$ share. d00d, that's the way it works with conference championships and the BC$. Don't like it the current system? Send a note to your uni of choice and the conference commish.

-Kevin

dando
12-05-05, 09:14 PM
Sorry, CART T., I don't share your optimism about the Big East. I see games every Sat, and outside of an occassional UofL or WVU game, they just aren't compelling games. I also programs either on the decline or treading water like UC, Pitt, and the 'cuse. Our points will be underscored on 1/2/06 when UGA walks over WVU. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. Sorry about yer luck.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-05-05, 09:42 PM
The system works, you see. 10-2 LSU is lower ranked than 9-2 Auburn, which LSU defeated (although due to 5 missed FGs by Auburn's K). So where's LSU? Ca$hing a check from the conference championship game, wondering why they aren't cashing a bigger check from the BC$ share. d00d, that's the way it works with conference championships and the BC$. Don't like it the current system? Send a note to your uni of choice and the conference commish.

-Kevin
the SEC game is the one game in which neither team was robbed, both had stellar seasons and both settled it on the field for the first time.

dando
12-05-05, 09:52 PM
the SEC game is the one game in which neither team was robbed, both had stellar seasons and both settled it on the field for the first time.
My point was that LSU and AU ended up with the same # of losses, LSU beat AU, yet AU ended up ranked higher than LSU. Reference post from earlier in the season about rankings relative to who lost when, etc. I agree that neither got screwed other than the final ranking for LSU. LSU was fortunate to be in the conference championship, IMHO.

-Kevin

dando
12-06-05, 12:18 AM
Interesting tid bit about the Bucks/Domers showdown came to light today...AJ Hawk dates Brady Quinn's sister. :eek: I'd like to be a fly on the wall during the holidays @ chez Quinn. :D

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
12-06-05, 12:21 AM
Interesting tid bit about the Bucks/Domers showdown came to light today...AJ Hawk dates Brady Quinn's sister. :eek: I'd like to be a fly on the wall during the holidays @ chez Quinn. :D

-Kevin

"I'm going to nail you as hard as I did to your sister last night!" :laugh:

coolhand
12-06-05, 12:34 AM
I think Brady will throw all over OSU. just a hunch.

How productive is OSU's offense?

Ankf00
12-06-05, 01:09 AM
Bryant Gumble is such a douche :laugh: That guy that does the covers for SI, Deford?, he's interviewed on Real Sports about the 63 'horns, w/ QB James Saxton on the SI cover, he's talking about all white players/coaches back then, '05 horns being black QB and half black players/coaches... somehow OU comes up and Deford says "greatest rivalry"

Gumble gets pissy... "not even in the top 5" mentions USC/ND (the only credible one he mentioned), ASU vs. Zona, Oregon vs. OSU, Stanford vs. Cal... :rofl: yes, you know all those top 5 rankings and national titles Cal, SU, ASU, OR St, Oregon , and Zona have risked on the field in the past 50 years.

geezus, at least mention army/navy, osu/mich, and auburn/bama...

I make Bryant Gumble look like Malcom X

:D I'M WAYNE BRADY, BITCH!

Fordham/Columbia, Houston/Rice, Nevada/UNLV, Temple/Drexel now THAT'S football :cool:

coolhand
12-06-05, 01:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=rose

bottom of th page Reggie high school higlights.

dando
12-06-05, 01:32 AM
I think Brady will throw all over OSU. just a hunch.

How productive is OSU's offense?
He might, but if they can't run, he'll pay the price (ala NW, Minn, NW, MSU, U/M, etc.). Brady hasn't thrown against a decent D all season other than U/M (we scored more on them than they did, but should have been far more).

OSU > MSU > @ND > @U/M

That's all you need to know, grasshopper.

re: OSU's offense, it's been a tale of two seasons and missed opps...After the PSU game, it has been quite effective, with the exception of the mistakes that kept the U/M game close.

OSU: 42 ND: 17

-Kevin

Tifosi24
12-06-05, 01:39 AM
Reggie Bush isn't in high school anymore, why should we care?

coolhand
12-06-05, 04:09 AM
Reggie Bush isn't in high school anymore, why should we care?

ask ESPN that. But its fun to look back at the career of a heisman winner

Ankf00
12-06-05, 12:11 PM
damnit, some RB tix went on gen sale w/ ticketmonster, no dice though :mad:

they ought to kick out all the sc fanboys and let real fans get tix.

cartman
12-06-05, 02:25 PM
ask ESPN that. But its fun to look back at the career of a heisman winner

Yeah...uh, that may be fun for a bandwagon USC fan that didn't know who John Robinson was, but the rest of us could care less. Reggie will probably end up being a total flop in the NFL anyway just like so many Heisman winners before him. Unfortunately for Reggie, there are a lot of guys in the NFL that are just as fast and good as he is.

coolhand
12-06-05, 03:30 PM
:cry:

Ankf00
12-06-05, 07:04 PM
anyone here work at Citigroup or ABC and wants to give their Rose Bowl ticket to me? :D pretty please?

dando
12-06-05, 07:26 PM
anyone here work at Citigroup or ABC and wants to give their Rose Bowl ticket to me? :D pretty please?
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=rose+bowl+tickets

There you go. Just write the check for $2K, and you and Jer are there. :D

-Kevin

dando
12-06-05, 08:15 PM
Yeah, the BC$ works. :laugh: Coaches gone wild:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2249627

Other votes that went against the norm were:

• SMU coach Phil Bennett had Oregon 15th.

• Ohio coach Frank Solich placed LSU fifth, 10 spots ahead of Georgia, which beat the Tigers 34-14 in the Southeastern Conference championship Saturday.

• South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier had Notre Dame 14th, his own team 21st, and in-state rival Clemson 24th. The Tigers beat Spurrier's Gamecocks 13-9 to close out the regular season.
:saywhat: :shakehead

@ Solich has an excuse, he was likely hammered. :laugh:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-06-05, 08:17 PM
man, F that. I want to know if most of the tickets haven't been released yet, how all these brokers got their dirty little paws on them so early... :mad: bastids.

too bad it's not like World Cup where they program your name and credit card info into an embedded microchip, thereby successfully nixing the resale market :)

in other news: Mitch Mustain, the savior of Arkansas football, one of the top QB's this year alongside Matt Stafford has apparently withdrawn his verbal to Piggie, is considering Domers, Pumpkins b/c of Cutcliffe's return...

What's hilarious is how badly Fulmer's ****ed himself up the ass. He totally ****ed with C.J. Leak thus prompting Chris Leak to distrust him and gay Goter instead. He's ****ed around with Rick Clausen so badly that even w/ Cutcliffe, Papa Clausen's on record as saying there's no way in hell Jimmy Clausen's going to play for that dishonest fatass. :laugh: If they can successfully sign Mustain, Fulmer pulled a rabbit out of a hat to save his ass

re: final coaches votes, since #1 and #2 were sewn up, I doubt many of them even bothered updating their ballots much, thus why some have LSU so far above UGa despite getting whupped. That will change after the bowls... I'm with Phil Bennet, he ranked Team Nike about where they belong :D

FLCARTfan
12-06-05, 09:12 PM

Seems OK to me :cool:

dando
12-06-05, 09:23 PM
re: final coaches votes, since #1 and #2 were sewn up, I doubt many of them even bothered updating their ballots much, thus why some have LSU so far above UGa despite getting whupped. That will change after the bowls... I'm with Phil Bennet, he ranked Team Nike about where they belong :D
Problem is that other BC$ bowls were @ stake, and that doesn't explain the ommision of WVU from one ballot. :shakehead The lack of oversite by USA Today is alarming. Fact is, this is the only coaches poll that is released, so we have no ideas what games were being played all season, nor the diff from the previous week to the next.

Also, BC$ vision 2.006 will likely remove the automatic qualifier for the non-conference champ that is ranked 3rd or 4th. That'll fix it. :shakehead I assume the non-BC$ conference team being ranked 5th or 6th rule will remain to pacify the WACs and MACs out there. This thing is almost as bad as FTGs visions.

Oh, and OSU students that won the Fiesta Bowl ticket lottery receive a voucher to pick up their tix in Tempe, so they won't be selling them on eBay. They can still sell them outside the stadium, but that's an expensive flight to sell tix for ~$500 outside the stadium. :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-06-05, 09:40 PM
OSU and ND's final rankings were known when LSU and VT choked in their title games. BCS is just to pit 1 vs. 2, the rest is just placation for the conf commish's

about LSU vs. Auburn in the CapOne thing... Les Miles and LSU AD were actually in Dallas the week before SEC title game lobbying Cotton Bowl reps, Cotton Bowl wanted 'bama the whole time though...

btw: can't students just scalp the voucher?

anywho, w/ 5th BCS bowl, there'll be less whining from Pac-10 refugees, and that annual small-conf rep can get smacked down for all the public to see.

dando
12-06-05, 10:02 PM
btw: can't students just scalp the voucher?

Gotta have the ID, just like was required for student tix to get into games this season.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-06-05, 10:49 PM
Houston Nutt is ass****ed... Mustain was his brass ring, his recruiting's completely dried up other than the kids from Springdale HS, he just hired on the Springdale HC which was supposed to guarantee Mustain for him.

He was forced to fire his QB coach and he has been dragging his heels on bringing in a new OC.

Frank Broyles is gonna can him after next year.

dando
12-07-05, 12:09 AM
Houston Nutt is ass****ed... Mustain was his brass ring, his recruiting's completely dried up other than the kids from Springdale HS, he just hired on the Springdale HC which was supposed to guarantee Mustain for him.

He was forced to fire his QB coach and he has been dragging his heels on bringing in a new OC.

Frank Broyles is gonna can him after next year.
:laugh:

Apparently Arky was supposed to have another recruit visit, Ryan Hill, CB from FL ranked #6 overall, but he decided to visit OSU instead. Prolly won't matter since Miami is supposedly his fave.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-07-05, 12:13 AM
FL kids are punks, make a big show about considering out of state schools, feed lines about "oh yea, that out of state program is my #1 now after the visit, even if I have been a (Florida/Miami/FSU) lean for a while."

then signing day the huge production for them to announce their commitment to the home team...

*yawn* whatever, same **** Ryan Perrilloser pulled last year, except he was actively recruiting our recruits for LSU while on his visit here, the punk, hope Jamarcus Russell starts for 2 more years in front of that little bitch. "LSU doesn't have any good qb's, I could be starting this year, I think I can win the Heisman my freshman year" <--:laugh: sure kid, sure...

is Chris Wells the little brother of Jonathon Wells? JW was an OSU rb right? He was on the 1st Texans roster, pretty sure he was OSU... CW's HS vids look great...

dando
12-07-05, 12:28 AM
is Chris Wells the little brother of Jonathon Wells? JW was an OSU rb right? He was on the 1st Texans roster, pretty sure he was OSU... CW's HS vids look great...
I doubt it. J Wells was from a city near New Orleans.

Chris Wells is being compared to Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! It's about time we finally got a big time back since EG in '95!

-Kevin

coolhand
12-07-05, 07:08 AM
The law firm SHAUB, WILLIAMS & NUNZIATO LLP, representing Riles & Co., threatened us with a lawsuit for infringing on Trademark Registration numbers 1,552,980, 1,878,680 & 1,522,980 for the word "Three-Peat".

This is former Los Angeles Lakers coach Pat Riley, who obtained a trademark for the term "Three-Peat" when the Lakers were hoping to beat the Detroit Pistons in the 1989 NBA Finals, but didnt. Yet when the Chicago Bulls three-peated twice, and when Kobe and Shaq finally pulled it off for the Lakers in 2002, Riley was the only one allowed to put the word "Three-Peat" on a t-shirt.

We are not even using the exact term "Three-Peat" (which is public vernacular anyways the same way "You're Fired" or "That's Hot" is).

Apparently Pat Riley, Donald Trump and Paris Hilton believe it is their right to own common words?

We do not, but there is little recourse for small or even larger operations when faced with the threat of intellectual property infringements. Penalties for copyright infringement can potentially reach $150,000 per work.

We are working on designing our way around the issue, but as of right now, there is no way to buy a "Three-Pete" shirt to show your support for Pete Carroll's 2005 Trojans accomplishing what Pat Riley's 1989 Lakers couldn't. :thumdown:

cartman
12-07-05, 10:57 AM

Funny, I don't remember ever originally posting just a period.

Ankf00
12-07-05, 11:14 AM
:laugh: and still playing 2nd fiddle to the Lakers

Ankf00
12-07-05, 11:26 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3285822

Barnett is out, must suck to learn of your firing through the press. Then again it just sucks to be Gary Barnett.

Butch Davis would seem like an obvious approach before Piggie gets their grubby little paws on him. Supposedly the AD wants to approach Mariucci b/c of what he laid out at Cal before leaving. And Dennis Erikkson's said to want to return to coaching as well. Definitely a better HC opening than San Diego State :laugh:

Dallas put together a too little too late band-aid plan for the cotton bowl

http://www.statesman.com/horns/content/sports/stories/longhorns/12/7cotton.html

Cotton Bowl Game reps said it's 80-20 they leave the actual Cotton Bowl even w/ the cheap ass $50M in renovations to go to Jerry Jones' new stadium in Arlington, and that'll help them lobby for that 5th BCS bowl which is what they want...

OU's AD has pretty much agreed at staying, UT's AD has pretty much packed it in and is looking for excuses to move the game to home & home. Dallas' own fault for not ponying up $250M for the Cowboys to build a brand new stadium w/ some of jerry's money next to the Cotton Bowl a couple years back...

Ankf00
12-07-05, 02:45 PM
From Calvin Watkins @ Dallas Morning News

Just got off the phone with SMU football coach Phil Bennett. He said he's taking some heat from the Oregon fans, who are upset that he voted the Ducks 15th in his final USA Today/ESPN Coaches poll. Fans have taken Bennett's e-mail address and signed him up for various subscription-based Web sites. Bennett's assistant, Sandra Gross, said she spent some time unsubscribing to the Web sites.

Bennett said he likes Oregon's team, but didn't think they were a top-10 team.

suck so much you can't pretend you played a game w/ USC? just go blame 1 voter :gomer:

coolhand
12-07-05, 09:30 PM
You guys laugh at my bias statements.

http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/

• Eight of the 13 coaches who voted Oregon seventh or lower came from the two conferences that had teams vying with the Ducks for a BCS at-large spot, SEC (Auburn) and Big Ten (Ohio State).

Look at the other data they have there

none of the "self-gratification" coaches came form the Pac-10

coolhand
12-07-05, 09:34 PM
Funny, I don't remember ever originally posting just a period.
http://terpsboy.com/blogger5/SP-SpecialCartman.jpg
"My name is Cartman and I think Reggie will be a flop in the NFL, even though the experts say he will be #1 pick"

Ankf00
12-07-05, 09:39 PM
Oregon had a chance to prove they belonged on the same field as USC, Oregon failed.

coolhand
12-07-05, 10:13 PM
Oregon had a chance to prove they belonged on the same field as USC, Oregon failed.

Oregon has the right to be treated fairly by the coached of the Big-10 and SEC too. but the good ol'boys club did not want any up and commers involved in their party.

Pete Carroll is not even a voter

Ankf00
12-07-05, 10:17 PM
Oregon has the right to be treated fairly by the coached of the Big-10 and SEC too. but the good ol'boys club did not want any up and commers involved in their party.

Pete Carroll is not even a voter

:rofl: yea, it's a conspiracy to hold out the Pac-10

2004 Pac-10 Runner-Up: California Golden Bears vs. Big 12 #4
Holiday Bowl:
Texas Tech 45
California 31

2005 Pac-10 Runner-Up: Oregon Ducks
2005:
USC 45
Oregon 13

next time you guys want to feel indignant about the Man holding you down, try showing up for the game :rolleyes:

coolhand
12-07-05, 11:21 PM
You guys rag on Oregon for playing a 1-aa team, but why not auburn for playing I-aa Western Kentucky? Iowa played 1-aa Northern Iowa.

and you argument is carring very litle weight challenging that fact that b10 and SEC schools don't want oregon to compete with them for bowl bids.

Ankf00
12-07-05, 11:52 PM
what bowl bid? the Holiday Bowl? pac-10 runner up contractually in there, I don't think the Big Ten and SEC are out to steal your Holiday Bowl berth, relax ;)

and unless Oregon was going to drop out of the top 12 they qualified for a BCS bowl, there's just no chance in hell they were ever going to be selected :gomer:

the diff between Oregon and Auburn and Iowa, is that no one's raving about Iowa being a top 5 team, and Auburn's proven themselves vs. competition, they beat UGa, they played LSU close and lost due to 5 missed FG's, Oregon lost by 5 touchdowns to the one ranked team they played all year :laugh:

try again, maybe if you throw in a black helicopter and a grassy knoll it'll make for a more compelling argument :laugh:

Ed_Severson
12-08-05, 12:00 AM
:thumdown:

Maybe the SC crowd just isn't smart enough to figure out how to get around it, because it's been done before. :gomer:

I still have a "3-Pete" t-shirt somewhere around the house from when the Boilers wrapped up their 3rd consecutive Big Ten basketball championship in 1996.

coolhand
12-08-05, 12:01 AM
Maybe the SC crowd just isn't smart enough to figure out how to get around it, because it's been done before. :gomer:

I still have a "3-Pete" t-shirt somewhere around the house from when the Boilers wrapped up their 3rd consecutive Big Ten basketball championship in 1996.

They can use 3-Pete due to Pete Carroll

coolhand
12-08-05, 12:05 AM
what bowl bid? the Holiday Bowl? pac-10 runner up contractually in there, I don't think the Big Ten and SEC are out to steal your Holiday Bowl berth, relax ;)

no, but you are using their schedual as a sign of Pac-10 weakness when SEC and Big-10 teams need 1-aa spots to fill out a schedual.

Ankf00
12-08-05, 12:18 AM
no, but you are using their schedual as a sign of Pac-10 weakness when SEC and Big-10 teams need 1-aa spots to fill out a schedual.

the difference, as stated previously, is that those other teams were tested during the course of their seasons.

Oregon failed the only test it faced. It's not that hard to figure out. They played one ranked team, and didn't even belong on the same field.

Auburn beat the SEC champs. Auburn lost in OT to SEC runners-up.
Oregon? They lost by 5 touchdowns to the Pac-10 champs. :gomer:

Ankf00
12-08-05, 12:55 AM
Visorboy is my hero :gomer:

Steve Spurrier stirred things up by voting his South Carolina team ahead of a Clemson team that beat the Gamecocks at the end of the season. But the most startling part of his poll was selecting Notre Dame No. 14. The Irish finished sixth and are playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

"They hadn't really beaten anybody," Spurrier told The Sun on Tuesday. "They didn't hardly beat anyone with a winning record.

"Personally, I think it's a crying shame why they allow them to go 9-2 and play for the big money. I'll always nudge them down a little in my poll. I just don't think it's fair but college football isn't fair. Why do we have to treat those guys differently?"

coolhand
12-08-05, 01:43 AM
Visorboy is my hero :gomer:

so if ND did not belong then would oregon have gotten that spot :thumbup:

Insomniac
12-08-05, 09:26 AM
Blame the Orange Bowl, not the BCS. The Orange Bowl could've picked WVU instead of FSU for their anchor bid, they chose not to. If there was no BCS WVU probably doesn't even get to go to ANY bcs bowl if their own home bowl isn't willing to take them. What's it say when the Orange Bowl picks a 4 loss FSU team over 1 loss Big East champions?

Pitt, Rutgers, UConn, USF, Cinci? You're saying those guys would roll the big 12 north? Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, Iowa State, Kansas? give me a break.

Rutgers couldn't even beat ILLINOIS, Iowa State put it to Iowa. Pitt lost to OHIO UNIVERSITY. The majority of the Big Least would be lucky to hang with the MAC, let alone any real BCS conf. Hey, go figure, 40% of the Big Least comes from a conf even worse than the MAC. Pitt couldn't even pretend to deserve to be on the same field as a Mountain West team last year.

and don't act like you didn't bitch about the Big East's auto BCS bid when L-ville was in CUSA and was on the outside looking in, you know you were along with everyone else

Losing BC, VT, and Miami, and replacing them with L-ville, USF, and Cincinatti is not called "a down year." It's called bait & switch.

First, I'm a WVU alumni, so yiou all know where my loyalties lie.

The Orange Bowl takes the ACC team, not the Big East team. Then they got to pick their opponent. Which basically left WVU as the only team left.

The Big East is pretty weak, no question. WVU also has a long history of choking in Bowl games. However, even though the top 2 teams left for the ACC (and proceeded to dominate it immediately) WVU did tie for the Big Eastchampionship the previous 2 years and have beaten or given VT/Miami a run for their money.

You can call it a bait and switch, but they had no choice. The ACC poached the teams. Also, they weren't that good when they formed the Big East. Miami had just been in trouble with the NCAA. I'm so glad you can predict how crappy a team is going to be years into the future.

We'll see on 1/2 if WVU can give Georgia a better game than LSU did last weekend.

Insomniac
12-08-05, 09:39 AM
The only Big East teams to have ever vied for a national title the past 15 years are now in the ACC, and to replace them the BE has CUSA teams? 2 elite programs for 2 crap CUSA ones. Replace one good program in BC with another good one in L-ville. Syracuse is the ONLY team in the Big East w/ a natl title and that was in 59, last time WVU even played for one was 89

I think WVU had a shot in '93 if Nebraska lost and WVU won (split chamionship). WVU went 11-0 that year.

Ed_Severson
12-08-05, 09:43 AM
there is no way to buy a "Three-Pete" shirt

They can use 3-Pete due to Pete Carroll

Which is it? They can't both be true, although we're familiar with your desire to cling to contradictions. :)

Insomniac
12-08-05, 09:45 AM
Answer was in the post...

Ankf00
12-08-05, 12:41 PM
I think WVU had a shot in '93 if Nebraska lost and WVU won (split chamionship). WVU went 11-0 that year.

93 was Notre Dame vs. FSU, ND beat FSU in South Bend I believe, then late in the season ND chokes to BC and the AP awards #1 to FSU thereby inviting the Wrath of Holtz. :laugh:

89 was WVU's chance iirc...

WVU looks to be a pretty good team, but you can't honestly say that cincinatti et al are going to be nationally relevent soon, they can't begin to compete with facilities or recruiting, L-ville and WVU are the only ones who can currently, and Pitt is the only other team that looks to be turning the recruiting corner.

Also: after the Orange lost it's Big 8 tie-in, didn't they begin taking their pick of ACC/BE champs? Or at least did while Miami was BE?

Insomniac
12-08-05, 01:35 PM
93 was Notre Dame vs. FSU, ND beat FSU in South Bend I believe, then late in the season ND chokes to BC and the AP awards #1 to FSU thereby inviting the Wrath of Holtz. :laugh:

89 was WVU's chance iirc...

WVU looks to be a pretty good team, but you can't honestly say that cincinatti et al are going to be nationally relevent soon, they can't begin to compete with facilities or recruiting, L-ville and WVU are the only ones who can currently, and Pitt is the only other team that looks to be turning the recruiting corner.

Also: after the Orange lost it's Big 8 tie-in, didn't they begin taking their pick of ACC/BE champs? Or at least did while Miami was BE?

I meant the 1993 season, and the Orange Bowl in 1994. FSU vs Nebraska.

So I guess 1994 the way you're using the years.

88/89 was their definite chance. Major Harris was the QB and he was injured during the game. :(

I agree with you, although I'm not sure if Pitt will ever turn it around with Wanny as the coach. ;) There are only 8 teams in the Big East. Only 1 team can compete for a BCS spot/National Title per conference pretty much. (And given how things have been recently that's USC vs the best of SEC, Big 10, Big 12 or the ACC.)

Right now WVU and Louisville are the best in the Big East. Syracuse was a powerful team 5 years ago. Pitt has had it's share of success, so it's doubtful they will suck forever. Can they compoete for a national championship, I doubt it, and certainly not near as consistently as the other Big 5 now. Can the Big East winner compete with one of the other Big 5 Conference Champions? I'm sure at least one of them.

Someone pointed out the point of the BCS isn't to get the Top 8 teams to play in the 4 Bowls. It was really about getting #1 and #2 to play and money.

If you want to argue the Big East champion shouldn't get an automatic bid and one more at large should be added, that's fine. The conference took a huge hit (through no fault of theirs) and it may take 3 or 4 years to recover. I just don't agree with kicking them out immediately. WVU is #11 and went 10-1. I know it's a weak conference and they didn't really beat any big teams. Lost to VT (which looks much less impressive after what FSU did to them). It's like saying the NFC West champion doesn't deserve a playoff spot because they sucked last year. Give the Big East a little time. The 3 best teams (record wise) in the ACC are all from the Big East. Seem slike the ACC wasn't as great as they seemed until they showed up either.

In any case, it won't matter much I guess. Next year they'll add 2 more teams. I'm sure spomeone in the Big East would be ranked high enough to avoid complaining.

On the Orange Bowl, it's my understanding they get the ACC champ if they aren't hosting the national championship game and the ACC champ isn't already playing in it. How the determine the order of who picks from the teams that are left, I'm not sure.

Ankf00
12-08-05, 02:15 PM
No I meant 1993 season... you're right though, WVU would've won the title had they won b/c ND tripped up vs BC in the last week of the season... but did WVU even hold the #1 spot going into the bowls?