PDA

View Full Version : Winter Driving Advisory

nrc
12-04-05, 01:27 AM
Attention motorists. When it is cold and raining and you see the rain solidifying on your windshield, that is a hint that you should slow down. This is particularly true when approaching bridges.

As we were driving home in freezing drizzle tonight the first bridge we came across had an accident with police on the scene. The second bridge was actually closed for an accident and the fact that it was too frozen to cross. So we detoured and came to a third bridge. I see cars sliding on the bridge ahead. Weee.

I can see that there's already an accident on the opposite side. Obviously another very slippery bridge. So I slow to a crawl and put on my emergency flashers. Traffic behind isn't impressed, goes around and nearly piles into each other as they discover how slippery the bridge is. Someone coming the other direction does pile into another car slowing for the accident. The original accident looks pretty bad so RaceGrrl calls 911. It takes a while to convince them that we're not talking about the accident at the previous bridge.

The next bridge we come to is closed as well. Another detour and still one more bridge to cross before home. Fortunately that one had been salted so we're able to make it home without further adventure.

Winter driving doesn't scare me nearly as much as other winter drivers do. :shakehead

dando
12-04-05, 01:40 AM
Attention motorists. When it is cold and raining and you see the rain solidifying on your windshield, that is a hint that you should slow down. This is particularly true when approaching bridges.

As we were driving home in freezing drizzle tonight the first bridge we came across had an accident with police on the scene. The second bridge was actually closed for an accident and the fact that it was too frozen to cross. So we detoured and came to a third bridge. I see cars sliding on the bridge ahead. Weee.

I can see that there's already an accident on the opposite side. Obviously another very slippery bridge. So I slow to a crawl and put on my emergency flashers. Traffic behind isn't impressed, goes around and nearly piles into each other as they discover how slippery the bridge is. Someone coming the other direction does pile into another car slowing for the accident. The original accident looks pretty bad so RaceGrrl calls 911. It takes a while to convince them that we're not talking about the accident at the previous bridge.

The next bridge we come to is closed as well. Another detour and still one more bridge to cross before home. Fortunately that one had been salted so we're able to make it home without further adventure.

Winter driving doesn't scare me nearly as much as other winter drivers do. :shakehead

Nasty night out there, boss. Glad to hear you two are safe. I've already experienced my share of knucklehead winter drivers during our Thxgiving trek. :( Only 4 more mos. to go..... :shakehead

-Kevin

Lizzerd
12-04-05, 02:21 AM
I had to go to the beer store earlier tonight for my Sunday beer (no sales in IN on Sunday), and had to scrape about an eight of an inch of ice off my windshield. So, I ask myself, why wasn't my car in the garage?

coolhand
12-04-05, 02:25 AM
what makes the bridges so much more accident rpone then the normal raods, i am not familiar with the ones in Ohio.

Lizzerd
12-04-05, 02:28 AM
what makes the bridges so much more accident rpone then the normal raods, i am not familiar with the ones in Ohio.

:saywhat: Air under a bridge is as cold as the air over it. Ground under a road is warmer than the air over it. Hence, bridges freeze much quicker than a road.

You don't live in a cold winter state, do you?

coolhand
12-04-05, 05:00 AM
:saywhat: Air under a bridge is as cold as the air over it. Ground under a road is warmer than the air over it. Hence, bridges freeze much quicker than a road.

You don't live in a cold winter state, do you?

California,

but this is a nice thing to know now.

Stu
12-04-05, 08:21 AM
California,

but this is a nice thing to know now.

Theres about 5 inches of snow in my driveway and I am heading up to the Browns game. Too bad they heat the fields and clear the snow. I'll be taking the RTA down though. Why drive 20 mph when they can do it for you?

trish
12-04-05, 10:06 AM
You've never seen those signs that say 'bridge ices before road'?

trish
12-04-05, 10:08 AM
I cut my speed in half when it snows and I start braking waaaaay before I get to my turn, becuase that's when I'm most likely to lose control of the car. In fresh snow, I'd drive about 10 miles an hour. We don't do snow tires here.

fourrunner
12-04-05, 10:10 AM
I was going downtown one day (PHilly) .. It was Icy so I decided take Septa (Train) .... Nothing more fun than being in a Train stopping at a station on Icy Tracks and the Train has the brakes locked and it just slides right by the Station about 1000 ft. and has to back up to drop off & pick up passengers :eek:

Needless to say the braking point was well before the Stations from then on ... In fact the "Driver" would come to a complete stop before the station, then creep in !

trish
12-04-05, 10:25 AM
And you have to be real easy on the brakes. You can't just slam them on. Gradually start braking and by the time you get to your turn, you should be at a snails pace. And don't oversteer the car. It may slide a little anyway and if you oversteer, you're gonna have a problem.

edit: It might be better to say, like your braking, do your steering gradually.

skaven
12-04-05, 11:24 AM
11" Vail yesterday
10" Vail today

4 wheel drive, 1/2 hour down I-70. I'm outta here... :thumbup:

dando
12-04-05, 12:24 PM
11" Vail yesterday
10" Vail today

4 wheel drive, 1/2 hour down I-70. I'm outta here... :thumbup:
I've been wondering how the snow goter was doin' with the flakes begnning to fly out there. 10-11"? Dats nothing for y'all. Get back to us when ya get a coupla feet. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
12-04-05, 01:12 PM
I was going downtown one day (PHilly) .. It was Icy so I decided take Septa (Train) .... Nothing more fun than being in a Train stopping at a station on Icy Tracks and the Train has the brakes locked and it just slides right by the Station about 1000 ft. and has to back up to drop off & pick up passengers :eek:

Needless to say the braking point was well before the Stations from then on ... In fact the "Driver" would come to a complete stop before the station, then creep in !That's interesting, I would have guessed the weight of the train would pressure melt the ice, guess not.

Methanolandbrats
12-04-05, 01:14 PM
And you have to be real easy on the brakes. You can't just slam them on. Gradually start braking and by the time you get to your turn, you should be at a snails pace. And don't oversteer the car. It may slide a little anyway and if you oversteer, you're gonna have a problem.

edit: It might be better to say, like your braking, do your steering gradually. Or you can use this method. Hard on the brakes, turn in hard, off the brakes to load up the front of the car. Yank the handbrake to rotate the back, off the handbrake, back on the gas and steer like hell. :D

RHR_Fan
12-04-05, 02:49 PM
So far when I've been driving in crappy conditions people have been considerate. I think I've driven in snow more this past week than I did all winter. Good practice though. I've slid a few times, but nothing major. It's not fun driving on ice and snow!

~Nicole

DjDrOmusic
12-04-05, 03:13 PM
I'm right with you NRC, I saw the carnage driving home last night, and then slipped off the porch trying to get into the house. Of course coming home on a Saturday night for me is really interesting since, I swear, Katkatlovr and I are the only ones leaving sober. :shakehead

Ankf00
12-04-05, 04:23 PM
Snow? What is this... snow... you speak of? :)

Only driving hazzards here is the scrap metal strewn about and stupid ppl.

No matter the geographic divide, it always boils down to the stupid people.

Sean O'Gorman
12-04-05, 04:45 PM
Theres about 5 inches of snow in my driveway and I am heading up to the Browns game. Too bad they heat the fields and clear the snow. I'll be taking the RTA down though. Why drive 20 mph when they can do it for you?

You drive a WRX you wuss. IT WAS MADE FOR SNOW.

Jeez, even I was driving the MR2 through unplowed roads just fine until it died on me this afternoon. :o

dando
12-04-05, 05:52 PM
Snow? What is this... snow... you speak of? :)

Only driving hazzards here is the scrap metal strewn about and stupid ppl.

No matter the geographic divide, it always boils down to the stupid people.
d00d, yer in Big D now. You will see snow. Perhaps this week even. :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
12-04-05, 06:51 PM
That the ice-on-overpass situation continues to provide a steady stream of wrecks roughly 40yrs after the interstate highway system was completed in the effected areas would seem to support at least a few amusing behavioral theories.

oc

nissan gtp
12-04-05, 06:57 PM
I love driving in snow, WRX owns in the bad stuff :thumbup:

Ice on the other hand, uh, no thanks

oddlycalm
12-04-05, 07:17 PM
You don't live in a cold winter state, do you? That culture gap is operational with regard to road salt as well. It's common in the Great Lakes area and the Midwest, but doesn't happen West of the central states.

One of the people that reported to me in the Detroit area had his frequent car wash expenses questioned by our accounting people, who further demonstrated their epic ignorance (and insolance) by sending him a bucket and wash mitt as a sarcastic message. :saywhat: His reaction was off the charts and I had to intervene and explain to the smug halfwits in accounting (in less than polite terms) the need for frequent washing, including steam cleaning the underbody, rocker panels and wheel wells of cars operated in areas where salt is applied to roads. Uh, Vern, ever wonder why it's called the Rust Belt? :shakehead

oc

Tifosi24
12-04-05, 09:02 PM
Speaking of salting roads, I am surprised roads in Milwaukee don't completely turn to power after two years. Yesterday was the first real snow to speak of and I walked the four blocks to church and the bottom of my jeans were white with salt, apparently they have never heard of sand. They use some salt back home in Des Moines, but they use mostly sand for traction, which was the same technique I saw used in Minnesota. Salt=bad, sand=good.

fourrunner
12-04-05, 09:11 PM
In Philly & the Suburbs, some Townships have been using a "Brine" type solution which evidently is less corosive to cars & less damaging to the Road Surface !

dando
12-04-05, 09:24 PM
In Philly & the Suburbs, some Townships have been using a "Brine" type solution which evidently is less corosive to cars & less damaging to the Road Surface !
Around here they started brining the roads (it's not just for a juicy bird, ya know :gomer: ) in advance of storms a couple of years ago. Supposedly helps delay the snow from accumulating right away, which works great for a general 2-6" snowfall. However, when we got a foot last December, it dint help much.

-Kevin

Stu
12-04-05, 09:42 PM
You drive a WRX you wuss. IT WAS MADE FOR SNOW.

Jeez, even I was driving the MR2 through unplowed roads just fine until it died on me this afternoon. :o

The roads were actually pretty clear. I was doing 70 on the highway to the game. Most everyone else was doing 40-50. I was gonna take the RTA cuz I thought the traffic was gonna be a lot heavier. Plus, 3 bucks round trip takes you right to the tailgate lot, saves you 18 miles on the car, and avoids paying to park.

But because it was clear I parked at Cleveland State and walked. It was a beautiful day for a walk. ;)

skaven
12-04-05, 10:29 PM
I've been wondering how the snow goter was doin' with the flakes begnning to fly out there. 10-11"? Dats nothing for y'all. Get back to us when ya get a coupla feet. :gomer:

-Kevin

The snow goter... I like. :)

That was 21" in under 48 hours and just added to the existing base. They opened Tea Cup and China Bowls at Vail today. The snow was above my knees at every turn (mid-thigh at times) and I'm 6'1" and all legs. Absolutely awesome season so far. :thumbup:

racermike
12-04-05, 11:34 PM
They have been using De-icing stuff on bridges here for a couple of years, only problem is, the "sheen" that the de-icing stuff creates makes it LOOK very icy, and everyone slows down and stops.

oddlycalm
12-05-05, 02:53 PM
That was 21" in under 48 hours and just added to the existing base. They opened Tea Cup and China Bowls at Vail today. The snow was above my knees at every turn (mid-thigh at times) and I'm 6'1" and all legs. Absolutely awesome season so far. :thumbup: Awesome season for certain. Big storm last week hit here as well. On Hood they have 120" base after getting 60" new snow last week... and it's only the first week of December. :thumbup: At the peak of the storm it was snowing 2" per hour.

Of course here in Puddle City it was just splash and gurgle so lame drivers only had wet roads on which to embarrass themselves and create mayhem...

oc