PDA

View Full Version : So, who's going to Road America in '06?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anteater
12-02-05, 11:37 PM
A little early, but those hotels get booked up quickly! I couldn't get a room in Plymouth within a day of the announcement, so it'll be Sheboygan for me. This will be my first trip to RA (and Wisconsin, too), so any pointers would be appreciated.

Anybody else?

Methanolandbrats
12-02-05, 11:49 PM
Me friday and sunday. Maybe sat. When the date gets closer we need an RA Newbie Thread and a Wisconsin Newbie Thread. This requires much thought.

RHR_Fan
12-02-05, 11:53 PM
Ant, you're going? Awesome! Bring the cones. ;)

I plan on camping with some friends. I'm soooooooo excited. I'm already planning on missing school that Friday. I just hope it's not a lab day, but I don't think they'd have lab days on Fridays since that's the end of the week. Sheboygan isn't too far from the track, like 10-15 minutes or so. See ya there!

~Nicole

chop456
12-03-05, 02:24 AM
I doubt it.

mapguy
12-03-05, 08:25 AM
I'm working on it. Airfare is just under $400 round trip. Should know in a few months. Plus I don't need no stinking motel. :gomer:

KLang
12-03-05, 09:15 AM
We'll be there Thursday through Monday. Trying out The Ostoff this time. I think I got my reservation in before they knew what was going on and needed to raise their rates even higher.

Roadranger
12-03-05, 09:26 AM
Many thanks for putting this one back on the calendar! I will be there all 3 days. It will be great weekend for racing and there are so many places to watch the race at RA. CCWS activities have been well attended like the autograph session and fan forum (last RA Fan Forum I think there were almost 500 attending). I agree with Anteater -- that you should book your room soon. With that said -- Milwaukee or Green Bay are about little over an hour of "freeway driving" from RA if you needed to go that far to book a room.

stroker
12-03-05, 12:39 PM
I booked a room in Manitowoc. I figure that if I'm going with anyone, it'll be a friend who I need to take on the tour of the WWII sub USS Cobia at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, so we'd have to go there anyway. :)

I hope I can get my brother to fly in from CA and some other old friends from western WI/eastern MN to come along, too. Gotta do what we can to get the attendance up... It's been about 20 years since we've all been to a race together, so who knows, maybe they'll bite.

What's really neat about this is the buzz that the trip is getting on all the boards. You just know that everyone is going to get together and it's going to be a great time!

Any OffCamberians live in Missouri aside from me?

G.
12-03-05, 12:53 PM
I doubt it.
:laugh:

You funny guy. :gomer:

I'll be ther, don't know how many I'll bring. Gotta bring g.

Camp, daytrip(s), hotel?? Not sure yet.

Dr. Corkski
12-03-05, 01:55 PM
Bring your hateball gloves.

Classic Apex
12-03-05, 02:03 PM
In.

TRDfan
12-03-05, 02:07 PM
I'm there.

2.5 - 3 days

Hotel reserved in Plymouth.

Ankf00
12-03-05, 02:07 PM
I'll bring the Tucker Death Mix w/ requisite CamelBak :)

what's the deal w/ camping out up there?

G.
12-03-05, 04:54 PM
what's the deal w/ camping out up there?You can't bring firearms or explosives to the campground. I guess I need to find a hotel...

And I wanted to bring weapons 8-( (http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/track_camping.htm)

Dirty Sanchez
12-03-05, 06:13 PM
Anybody else?:laugh:

Redwing
12-03-05, 07:48 PM
I'm there. Sprints, BRIC, ALMS, CCWS right in the middle of God's Country, just like the good ole' days. :D

Lizzerd
12-04-05, 02:32 AM
This is indeed an early Christmas present.

I'm there already, camping in turn 2.

Ankf00
12-04-05, 06:59 AM
You can't bring firearms or explosives to the campground. I guess I need to find a hotel...

And I wanted to bring weapons 8-( (http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/track_camping.htm)

wtf? how the **** do they expect me to come visit without my pipe bombs and revolvers...

oh wait, I'm not an okie, I'm not Barry Switzer... I don't travel with illegal weapons :D I was confused for a moment there.

what kind of noise restrictions/curfews do they enforce? because I've had a few unfriendly incidents with Tx Parks & Wildlife Rangers on camping trips the past year :D the way I see it, if you bring a ****ing RV w/ sattelite TV into the boonies to end all boonies, you deserve to have to put up with rowdy youthful campers worshipping the virtues and legacy of Dionysus :D. if you wanted the comforts of civilzation, you shouldn't have driven all the way to the middle of nowhere for some ******** faux camp-out :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
12-04-05, 09:44 AM
Ya have to go to bed early in the carousel campground. You can stay up pretty late in turn 2. You have to do something really stupid to get arrested. Cops are cool once you're inside the track. Cops are not cool on the way to the track. DO NOT SPEED within 25 miles of the track. Race weekends are huge moneymakers for The County and the State Patrol.

rocket
12-04-05, 09:59 PM
I'm in......

Nothing short of the governor activating the National Guard will be able to control what's going down in T2 next Sept. :D

SteveH
12-04-05, 11:46 PM
yo :thumbup: :D

Twisty Bits
12-05-05, 12:26 AM
The van and I will be there for some more Wisconsin Hot Laps.

Warlock!
12-05-05, 01:27 PM
If I go, can I bring beer into the track? What about crystal meth?

Methanolandbrats
12-05-05, 02:22 PM
If I go, can I bring beer into the track? What about crystal meth? They sell beer, but I've never seen a meth stand, so bring that to be safe.

Ankf00
12-05-05, 02:29 PM
They sell beer, but I've never seen a meth stand, so bring that to be safe.

can't be that hard to find one, just mosey on down the road a couple of miles you're sure to find a trailer-park cooking lab or few ;)

G.
12-05-05, 02:36 PM
The track is in the middle of Nowheresville Wisconsin! Of course they have meth!

chop456
12-05-05, 02:37 PM
What do you think makes Johnsonville Brats so good?

Easy
12-05-05, 06:03 PM
What do you think makes Johnsonville Brats so good?

I always thought it was the rat feces but then I realized I was always talkative and did a lot of cleaning after a couple Johnsonville's.

NismoZ
12-06-05, 06:30 PM
So, all you "campers," any of you coming to The Last Open Bar on Friday or Saturday night? My guess is there'll be plenty of room.

RHR_Fan
12-06-05, 08:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is the overall rule, but during the ALMS weekend the rule was you couldn't bring glass bottles in. Of course they're not checking anyone so you can be sneaky about it. If you're seen with it, there'd probably be a problem. About the crystal meth...don't think you'll be able to bring that in. ;)

~Nicole

Ankf00
12-06-05, 08:04 PM
screw bottles, just bring a couple of flasks, jeans come with 2 ass pockets right?

Methanolandbrats
12-06-05, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is the overall rule, but during the ALMS weekend the rule was you couldn't bring glass bottles in. Of course they're not checking anyone so you can be sneaky about it. If you're seen with it, there'd probably be a problem. About the crystal meth...don't think you'll be able to bring that in. ;)

~NicoleI did'nt know about the glass rule. I've always had a huge cooler full of bottles and food in the trunk. I don't think they search anything.

nissan gtp
12-06-05, 08:47 PM
I did'nt know about the glass rule. I've always had a huge cooler full of bottles and food in the trunk. I don't think they search anything.

yep :thumbup:

mueber
12-06-05, 09:06 PM
I'll be there. Only been once before and thought I'd never have a good reason again. :)

Dr. Corkski
12-06-05, 09:16 PM
I did'nt know about the glass rule. I've always had a huge cooler full of bottles and food in the trunk. I don't think they search anything.Good. That's probably the only way we can get Ank into the track. :D

RHR_Fan
12-06-05, 10:44 PM
I did'nt know about the glass rule. I've always had a huge cooler full of bottles and food in the trunk. I don't think they search anything.

That was just for ALMS weekend; not sure if it's RA's rules in general. Plus I stayed in the turn 8 camp ground so rules might be different there as opposed to turn 2. If you're in your own area drinking something and minding your own business, I don't think there'd be a problem.

~Nicole

SteveH
12-06-05, 11:48 PM
minding your own business

sure :gomer:

Anteater
12-07-05, 12:14 AM
Ant, you're going? Awesome! Bring the cones. ;)
Yes, I'm going to ship Apex to your house via Parcel Post. You don't mind bringing him the rest of the way, do ya?

Lizzerd
12-07-05, 12:30 AM

Attach bait to hook, cast, reel in fish... :rofl:

Easy
12-07-05, 12:20 PM
So, all you "campers," any of you coming to The Last Open Bar on Friday or Saturday night? My guess is there'll be plenty of room.

I don't know about plenty of room, but I'm sure people will squeeze in at Siebken's. Siebken's+Big Spectator event=Sardines.

RHR_Fan
12-07-05, 04:07 PM
Yes, I'm going to ship Apex to your house via Parcel Post. You don't mind bringing him the rest of the way, do ya?

Oh of course not. Apex and I can become friends. :D I do remember one time in gym class years ago I bumped into a cone and actually said "sorry." LOL Whenever I'd bump my violin I'd always apologize to it for some reason.

And as for "minding your own business," I didn't know how to word that. I guess as long as you're not shouting "look at me. I'm doing something stupid," it's all good. ;)

~Nicole

NismoZ
12-07-05, 07:17 PM
That narrows the field somewhat.

skaven
12-08-05, 02:49 PM

Unlike the Wisconsin River. :mad:

When I lived in Chicaco, we used to do a three day canoe on the Wisconsin River from Sauk City down to a pickup near a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

The water pigs would go to camp sites and canoes looking for glass and writing tickets. One year, someone brought a bottle of vodka, so we had to bury it in the sand between rounds. We did get searched a few times.

After a few rounds, we would all sing "the glass police, they're looking for you..." ala Cheap Trick. :D

Back on topic, I might have to bring some old Chicago pals to RA next year. FIBs.

Ankf00
12-08-05, 03:33 PM
Back on topic, I might have to bring some old Chicago pals to RA next year. FIBs.

and this time you won't have "I've got a plane to catch" as an excuse for not getting ****-housed :D

skaven
12-08-05, 04:21 PM
and this time you won't have "I've got a plane to catch" as an excuse for not getting ****-housed :D

A couple more drinks at Gingerman and I would've been "I've got a plane to miss." :gomer:

chop456
12-08-05, 04:28 PM
Ank took you to the Gingerman? I'm surprised he didn't try to meet you at Oil Can Harry's across the street. ;)

Gingerman's beer list = :thumbup:

skaven
12-08-05, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I was in the Suck D for work and booked a late flight out of DFW.

The beer list was great and the beer even better. :thumbup:

chop456
12-08-05, 05:01 PM
Oh, I assumed Austin. The Oil Can Harry's reference just became even unfunnier than it was before.

skaven
12-08-05, 06:02 PM
What's really unfunny is that you say you might not make RA. :saywhat:

Oh well, you'll be there in 2007 I'm sure.

Ankf00
12-08-05, 11:01 PM
Ank took you to the Gingerman? I'm surprised he didn't try to meet you at Oil Can Harry's across the street.

"Oh, I assumed Austin. The Oil Can Harry's reference just became even unfunnier than it was before."

yes, yes it did. :p you better show up.

Austin + Houston Gingermen > Dallas' beerlist

Austin's has the worst atmosphere b/c it's in an old warehouse, Houston comes in 2nd place, Dallas 1st b/c it's a 2 story house, very phatty.

Ankf00
12-08-05, 11:05 PM
meh, dp... after visting Gingerman :p

Andrew Longman
12-09-05, 11:29 AM
I'll there with at least my oldest. In the carousal. Trevor said something this morning about the historics racing the week prior. He suggested we go for the whole week. I said that meant missing a week of school. He ask me what my point was. :laugh:

Ankf00
12-10-05, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised he didn't try to meet you at Oil Can Harry's across the street. ;)

also, dude, you're dating yourself, it's all about boyz cellar now ;)

JT265
12-10-05, 10:42 PM
Do they supply porta-potties considering that this isn't a street course? I have a spastic colon you see.

:saywhat:

anait
12-12-05, 12:36 AM
Darn it. I really want to go. But we'll probably be neck-deep in drywall at that point in time...

race chica
12-12-05, 02:25 AM
That was just for ALMS weekend; not sure if it's RA's rules in general. Plus I stayed in the turn 8 camp ground so rules might be different there as opposed to turn 2. If you're in your own area drinking something and minding your own business, I don't think there'd be a problem.

~Nicole

You can bring in beer, booze, glass bottles, anything really. I've gone into the farm house with a glass bottle and no one said anything. I've seen people walking around with bottles of hard liquer and not getting stopped. Just word to the wise- dont bring ANY alcohol in the compettion padock. you will be asked to dump it out before going any furhter.

rocket
12-12-05, 05:09 AM
I left one of those 1.75 liter bottles of Bacardi sitting out last year at the ALMS weekend. A scientific fact I was never aware of is that it only takes about 8 hours for a bottle that size to evaporate if the cap is loose.:saywhat:

Pretty much they don't hassle you unless you make a scene....if you do make a scene and look kinda dangerous, they'll leave you alone too. ;)

tantra
12-14-05, 09:34 PM
Even after reading the previous posts from many fans who suggest that there may be beers held high in the infield in Sept., I've decided to attend anyway.

However, if I should come to my final demise prior to the drop of the green flag at the best venue CC has ever known, I shall leave instructions my son-in-law to attend in my stead ..... and sprinkle my ashes in your beers.

RTKar
12-14-05, 10:31 PM
Darn it. I really want to go. But we'll probably be neck-deep in drywall at that point in time...

The kids can't put up drywall?

anait
12-14-05, 10:54 PM
The kids can't put up drywall?

Oh, how I wish they were old enough to do that...slipping away for the weekend for racing and beer would be HEAVENLY. On the other hand, if we don't build this year, I think a weekend away will be an easy sell to the mr.

Anteater
12-14-05, 11:14 PM
On the other hand, if we don't build this year, I think a weekend away will be an easy sell to the mr.
Oh for pete's sake, anait, do you REALLY need a new house next year? ;)

Ankf00
12-14-05, 11:17 PM
Oh for pete's sake, anait, do you REALLY need a new house next year? ;)

seriously, she's pushing the boundaries of "high maintenance" :gomer:

anait
12-14-05, 11:43 PM
:p

Need, no.

And if we do make it to RA or Edmonton, I'm sure mr anait will be happy to tell one and all just how high maintenance I am. :cool:

Ankf00
12-15-05, 12:07 AM
well that's impossible, you'll be far too preoccupied with construction of your igloo to join us in our backwoods champ car revelry :p

dando
12-15-05, 12:08 AM
Oh puhleeze, does an igloo really need drywall? :D :p

:runs:

;)

Heck, we're gonna have a 3-mos. by then in addition to the ~3 year old by then, and I'm trying hard to find a reason for a 'business' trip to Chicago with a brief diversion north for the weekend.

Honey, I know I just went to AUS for the Buckeyes game, but..... :)

-Kevin

rocket
12-15-05, 01:29 AM
Even after reading the previous posts from many fans who suggest that there may be beers held high in the infield in Sept., I've decided to attend anyway.

However, if I should come to my final demise prior to the drop of the green flag at the best venue CC has ever known, I shall leave instructions my son-in-law to attend in my stead ..... and sprinkle my ashes in your beers.

You just get there old man :D

Warlock!
12-15-05, 10:19 AM
...I've decided to attend anyway.
What ^Joe^ said.

Good to hear from ya, Oldtimer.

Oh... and don't forget to bring a replacement for Crapus' small, cylindrical, ceramic object. :D

Dirty Sanchez
12-15-05, 10:26 AM
he already did :thumbup:

anait
12-15-05, 12:17 PM
Is it totally wrong of me to be thinking of postponing our house in order to go to RA this year?? :D 'Cause I'm looking at track camping sites, and searching hotel sites for good deals, and thinking about driving vs. flights for 6, and getting all fired up here...

Ankf00
12-15-05, 12:44 PM
1 upcoming race weekend > next 10 years of your life

or wait, did I have that backwards? naaa...

G.
12-15-05, 02:29 PM
Is it totally wrong of me to be thinking of postponing our house in order to go to RA this year?? :D 'Cause I'm looking at track camping sites, and searching hotel sites for good deals, and thinking about driving vs. flights for 6, and getting all fired up here...If ONE FREAKING weekend is make-or-break on your house construction schedule, trust me, you're already broke. :p

JoeBob
12-21-05, 05:15 PM
Do they supply porta-potties considering that this isn't a street course? I have a spastic colon you see.

The porta-potties at Road America are world class.

Does that trailer-o-johns at Turn 6 actually move? That thing is something else.

Oh yeah, I'll be there too. Staying in Fond du Lac.

Methanolandbrats
12-25-05, 03:38 PM

:saywhat:

:laugh:Stealth crapping is easier in the forest than behind a Starbucks.

skaven
12-29-05, 03:55 PM
Any Ultimate Frisbee players out there?

If we can round up some folks and there is a gap in the action, we can run around, drink, smoke and throw the friz in a suitable flat spot near the campgrounds.

The rules are easy and you need not... correction - should NOT be sober.

We could team up old folks vs. young-uns... (Lizzerd, etc. vs. Ank, etc.).

Or we can have play everyone against SOG. :laugh:

RHR_Fan
12-29-05, 05:51 PM
Any Ultimate Frisbee players out there?

If we can round up some folks and there is a gap in the action, we can run around, drink, smoke and throw the friz in a suitable flat spot near the campgrounds.

The rules are easy and you need not... correction - should NOT be sober.

We could team up old folks vs. young-uns... (Lizzerd, etc. vs. Ank, etc.).

Or we can have play everyone against SOG. :laugh:

I actually played ultimate my senior year in high school. hehe I wasn't that good, but I did improve...somewhat.

~Nicole

skaven
12-29-05, 06:22 PM
I actually played ultimate my senior year in high school. hehe I wasn't that good, but I did improve...somewhat.

~Nicole

EXCELLENT ! ! ! :cool:

You can be a team captain and help enforce the rules. :thumbup:

The rules are simple, but I don't know if we can trust some of these guys... they might try to cheat and run/ shuffle with the frisbee. ;)

I might get stuck covering rabbit... I'm not as tall as him though, but I can jump. :p

RHR_Fan
12-29-05, 07:11 PM
EXCELLENT ! ! ! :cool:

You can be a team captain and help enforce the rules. :thumbup:

The rules are simple, but I don't know if we can trust some of these guys... they might try to cheat and run/ shuffle with the frisbee. ;)

I might get stuck covering rabbit... I'm not as tall as him though, but I can jump. :p

I'd be the only sober one playing! We should play sober against drunks...now that'd be funny.

~Nicole

skaven
12-29-05, 07:38 PM
I'd be the only sober one playing! We should play sober against drunks...now that'd be funny.

~Nicole

Sweet. This'll be good fun. :)

As we get closer to RA, we can start drafting other players. If we can scrounge up 6 more, we'd have enough for a decent game. If we can get more, we can have a bench of reserves to plug in as the drunks fall down. :laugh:

reoracer
01-03-06, 12:28 AM
John and I are planning on being there all weekend. We'll be in the campground with some friends (right RHR_Fan?)

Can't wait to see some of you, especially those I haven't seen for a few years. (Waves at Anteater!)

I am sooooooo happy this race is back on the schedule, I'm already about to explode.

Jen

RHR_Fan
01-03-06, 02:17 PM
John and I are planning on being there all weekend. We'll be in the campground with some friends (right RHR_Fan?)

Can't wait to see some of you, especially those I haven't seen for a few years. (Waves at Anteater!)

I am sooooooo happy this race is back on the schedule, I'm already about to explode.

Jen

I'm planning on it. Even if I have classes on Fridays, I'm missing school! Hopefully Fridays won't be lab days...

~Nicole

Turn7
01-04-06, 10:37 AM
There.

Ankf00
01-12-06, 09:52 AM
Sweet. This'll be good fun. :)

As we get closer to RA, we can start drafting other players. If we can scrounge up 6 more, we'd have enough for a decent game. If we can get more, we can have a bench of reserves to plug in as the drunks fall down. :laugh:

oh no you don't, I'll make sure you're in the same state as the rest of us :p

CART 500
01-21-06, 05:28 PM
I left one of those 1.75 liter bottles of Bacardi sitting out last year at the ALMS weekend. A scientific fact I was never aware of is that it only takes about 8 hours for a bottle that size to evaporate if the cap is loose.:saywhat:
No wonder you looked like that the next morning :D

trauma1
02-03-06, 04:49 PM
i'll be there all weekend, talked a f1 fan whose in the Navy to go, got to get new fans up there

rocket
02-04-06, 12:50 PM
No wonder you looked like that the next morning :D

I,I,I don't know what you're talking about man :D

race chica
02-22-06, 10:26 PM
i'll be there all weekend, talked a f1 fan whose in the Navy to go, got to get new fans up there

I talked another Navy guy into coming too. We should all just recuit Champcar fans from teh Navy...lol

Sean O'Gorman
02-22-06, 11:07 PM
I talked another Navy guy into coming too. We should all just recuit Champcar fans from teh Navy...lol

:thumdown:

race chica
02-22-06, 11:08 PM
:thumdown:

not cool....see if i let you camp with us :p

Sean O'Gorman
02-22-06, 11:09 PM
Well I'll just camp with Cork instead, he is twice the woman you are!

Dr. Corkski
02-22-06, 11:23 PM
Well I'll just camp with Cork instead, he is twice the woman you are!You can't afford me.

trauma1
02-24-06, 05:18 PM
i'm doing my best to get people from great mistakes to go up there

BigIrlFan
03-01-06, 02:19 AM
I aint hahahahahahahha

Lizzerd
03-01-06, 04:01 AM
I aint hahahahahahahha

'scuse me while I sneeze... Boo sheet! achoo! boo sheet! achoo!

Ankf00
03-06-06, 12:17 AM
You can't afford me.

it's not that he can't afford you, it's that he can sack up and go without the Four Seasons for a couple of nights and camp instead :gomer:

race chica
03-06-06, 05:16 PM
it's not that he can't afford you, it's that he can sack up and go without the Four Seasons for a couple of nights and camp instead :gomer:

since when was there a four season in elkhart lake wisconsin? lol

Anteater
07-25-06, 11:21 PM
Time to bump this thread! :cool:

Twisty Bits
07-25-06, 11:49 PM
In.

Lizzerd
07-26-06, 01:34 AM
I'm there. Five of us coming with three newbies!

RTKar
07-26-06, 06:29 PM
:thumbup: In

maybe even drink a beer or two

CART 500
07-26-06, 07:41 PM
Might stop by