PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 450 Z V-8 For ALMS?

NismoZ
12-01-05, 06:52 PM
Makes sense to me. If BMW can/may try a V-8 so can others. Whaddaya think, GT2? 1? The talk is starting, and I think mfgs. to ALMS is not finished.

nissan gtp
12-01-05, 08:30 PM
Makes sense to me. If BMW can/may try a V-8 so can others. Whaddaya think, GT2? 1? The talk is starting, and I think mfgs. to ALMS is not finished.
The ALMS entry has to be a "street car" ... BMW got thrown out with the E46 V8 (engine was from the M5 if I remember)

so maybe Nissan will come out with a V8Z ? :thumbup:

coolhand
12-01-05, 08:52 PM
this is still early in the of season

extramundane
12-01-05, 11:22 PM
The ALMS entry has to be a "street car" ... BMW got thrown out with the E46 V8 (engine was from the M5 if I remember)

S2 Rules allow that configuration now- that's quite possibly what PTG will run in 2006.

As for Nissan, I'd expect a straight-up GT2 350 if anything. It's already FIA/ACO GT2 Homologated, and one ran (unremarkably) in some FIA GT races last year.

NismoZ
12-02-05, 01:11 PM
But Nissan does not want to remain unremarkable and intends to do something about it. I don't think it will be status quo for them. I don't believe they want to wait to see if that Super GT series catches on in the US and they need to make a strong effort in a US series. Perhaps. :)

extramundane
12-02-05, 03:16 PM
But Nissan does not want to remain unremarkable and intends to do something about it. I don't think it will be status quo for them. I don't believe they want to wait to see if that Super GT series catches on in the US and they need to make a strong effort in a US series. Perhaps. :)

Well...the GT2 350 was an entirely privateer effort by RJN Motorsport, with no factory involvement. And while it didn't do remarkably well, it didn't do remarkably horrible either (4th in the British GT team standings). It's safe to assume that factory involvement would boost the car's stock significantly. Given the utter failure that was Rollcentre's Dallara-Nissan, I'm still thinking a GT2 350 is what we'll see first, if anything, from Nissan stateside.

NismoZ
12-02-05, 05:31 PM
No question you know more about it than I do, now Autoweek is saying the production car may be a Skyline GT-R with the Infinity V-8, sold as an Infinity because of the higher base price. Could this be the one they might race? (I still think they'll produce a 450-Z, though, for us poor people! :) )

oddlycalm
12-02-05, 07:20 PM
The ALMS entry has to be a "street car" ... BMW got thrown out with the E46 V8 (engine was from the M5 if I remember) There actually is a production E46 M3 GTR that has the V8 and carbon fiber hood and roof, just not enough of them produced to satisfy ALMS at the time.

I'd love to see a mfg's "arms race" in ALMS. A Z with a 4.5L V8 would be good competition for the M3 GTR and probably the new M3 when it arrives as well.

oc