PDA

View Full Version : Lexus to ALMS GT2S

NismoZ
12-01-05, 02:29 PM
Welcome to another factory effort. ALMS has to be liking this, but I'd still like to see more thunder up top! I think that's where Honda can find that competition they're always bragging about.

Methanolandbrats
12-01-05, 02:38 PM
Welcome to another factory effort. ALMS has to be liking this, but I'd still like to see more thunder up top! I think that's where Honda can find that competition they're always bragging about.06 is the beginning of a new era :thumbup:

extramundane
12-01-05, 03:51 PM
http://www.speedarena.com/news/uploads/sportscar/600_400_038.jpg

Possibly a couple more S2 entries coming as well. I think there are far more entries confirmed for next year than there were last year at this time. GT1 is the only class that probably won't see fairly substantial growth in numbers.

Sean O'Gorman
12-01-05, 04:07 PM
What is S2?

Steve99
12-01-05, 04:39 PM
I'm no expert but....

S2 is a rules set for running in ALMS GT2 class. Allows sports sedans with 2 or 4 doors. I don't think S2 cars will necessarily be legal at Le Mans 24.

FCYTravis
12-01-05, 04:48 PM
The S2 cars won't be legal at the 24 Hours of Le Mans at all.

This is a great step forward - because it means Don and the guys running IMSA finally have figured that that what works for a bunch of French guys running basically one race a year doesn't necessarily work for a 10-race series in the United States.

Screw the ACO, run what works for America - and if that means making a new class, do it.

:thumbup: to a rejuvenated ALMS.

coolhand
12-01-05, 04:54 PM

This is a great step forward - because it means Don and the guys running IMSA finally have figured that that what works for a bunch of French guys running basically one race a year doesn't necessarily work for a 10-race series in the United States.

Screw the ACO, run what works for America - and if that means making a new class, do it.

:thumbup: to a rejuvenated ALMS.

second straight Mfc. from Grand American to start a factory program in ALMS. :thumbup: (I know Lexus is still in Grand American, for next year at least.)

Sean O'Gorman
12-01-05, 05:56 PM
So basically it is a fifth class, and one that (at this point) has no one running in it but Lexus? And this is growth?

extramundane
12-01-05, 05:57 PM

Yet. ;)

extramundane
12-01-05, 06:00 PM
So basically it is a fifth class, and one that (at this point) has no one running in it but Lexus? And this is growth?

PTG's M3s are also S2. It's a subset of GT2 rules, much like Prep 2 is a subset of GA GT.

More S2 cars should be on the way.

extramundane
12-01-05, 06:02 PM
second straight Mfc. from Grand American to start a factory program in ALMS. :thumbup: (I know Lexus is still in Grand American, for next year at least.)

These cars were originally intended for GA, but someone at Lexus apparently wasn't too thrilled about the tube-frame cars being in the same class.

Sean O'Gorman
12-01-05, 06:06 PM
Then why even mention that it is in the GTS2 class? I never heard anything about Pontiac winning GT Prep 2 races.

The competing against tube-frame cars suggestion you make I guess would have some merit to it, but you have to be up close to one of those GTO.R's to notice it is tube framed. Probably about as production based as this (http://www.cadillacclub.se/cadnews/cts-v%20back.jpg) thing though.

coolhand
12-01-05, 08:51 PM
what advantage does a Mfc. have by doing a factory effort in Grand Am? their top flight class allows no development. the other classes are obscure in an already obsure series. It makes sense that mfcs. are flocking to ALMS with a chance to win a prestigous set of races. Versus the 8th biggest race at Daytona.

makes sense because they want to compete with the 3 series BMW

extramundane
12-01-05, 11:41 PM
Then why even mention that it is in the GTS2 class? I never heard anything about Pontiac winning GT Prep 2 races.

There is no GTS2 class per se. There's a GT2s/S2 (seems to be some indecision about the exact title) ruleset. The cars will compete to those rules, but will be classified as part of the GT2 class. There won't be an S2 winner, podium spot, point standings, etc.

The competing against tube-frame cars suggestion you make I guess would have some merit to it, but you have to be up close to one of those GTO.R's to notice it is tube framed.

You're right- you do have to be up close to notice, but that's not the issue. Look at it from a marketing standpoint. Joe Sixpack tunes into a GA race for the first time and sees a Pontiac GTO beating the hell out of an M3 or 911. Now you and I know that the M3 and 911 are based heavily their road-going counterparts and the GTO is a tube-frame racecar. But Joe Sixpack thinks "well, dang it, I don't need to spend 2,3,4 times the money for one of them German cars when a good ol' Pontiac is obviously a better car for less money!"

Probably about as production based as this (http://www.cadillacclub.se/cadnews/cts-v%20back.jpg) thing though.

Don't even get me started on that thing. Or the people who drive them.

extramundane
12-01-05, 11:50 PM
what advantage does a Mfc. have by doing a factory effort in Grand Am? their top flight class allows no development. the other classes are obscure in an already obsure series. It makes sense that mfcs. are flocking to ALMS with a chance to win a prestigous set of races. Versus the 8th biggest race at Daytona.

Oh, but there are no factory efforts in Grand Am. ;)

Seriously, though, I don't know as I'd classify the ALMS races as any more prestigious than GA's to anyone except us forum loonies. And I can only hope that manufacturers are flocking to ALMS. 2 solid, new factory efforts is great, but I'm not slapping backs and handing out cigars quite yet.