PDA

View Full Version : daytona 24 hour

rosawendel
12-01-05, 12:58 PM
anyone ever been?

my dad (and his big honkin' rv) recently moved to florida, so i'm looking to go down and spend the weekend with him watching the race. on-site rv parking looks to be somewhat rediculously priced (700 bucks to park in the infield???), so we're looking to camp off-site and take the jeep to the race itself. my dad found a couple of sites in the 20 min. away range that seem reasonable. anyone ever done this?

i would imagine being a 24 hour race, you'd get in/out privelages, like at le mans...

Methanolandbrats
12-01-05, 01:45 PM
I went in 96 before it went to hell :D ...Hi SeanO........ :gomer: Ya, you can go in and out. Between NASCAB 3 and 4 is very cool. Get along the fence and watch them pound around the banking. Then, a few hours before sunset head for NASCAB 1 and watch the cars come off the infield and hit the banking again, they come right at you and up to the wall. Then climb to the top of the grandstands above that point and watch the track change as it gets dark. VEry nice view.

Gnam
12-01-05, 01:57 PM
dad + big honkin' RV + Florida = Sebring Yes,no?

rosawendel
12-01-05, 03:46 PM

ooh... tempting. but i'll have to do that next time around.

last summer i did le mans with my then fiancee. tent camping in 95 degree heat. not fun. the summer before that was cleveland (she insists that she had fun). she still married me and loves me, but her days of attending races with me are pretty much over (unless i want to get a hotel and take her to monaco... HA! like i can afford that).

don't get me wrong-o, i prefer american le mans to grand am, but, i think i'll break my dad into it gently. sebring maybe next year.

Fio1
12-01-05, 11:53 PM
I was there last year. It's fun, but freaking cold at night.....The city of Daytona is a s**** hole by the way. The hotel I stayed at was the worst ever. I think one star hotels in Guatemala are better.....And, the people who live there are worked. Daytona reminds me of Vegas outside of the strip...

Methanolandbrats
12-02-05, 12:04 AM
I was there last year. It's fun, but freaking cold at night.....The city of Daytona is a s**** hole by the way. The hotel I stayed at was the worst ever. I think one star hotels in Guatemala are better.....And, the people who live there are worked. Daytona reminds me of Vegas outside of the strip... :rofl: Yes, there are budget accomodations nearby.

Ankf00
12-02-05, 12:07 AM

sounds more like a retirement community :gomer: :D