PDA

View Full Version : Applied for insurance, found out something important

anait
11-30-05, 01:06 PM
Thoughts and prayers are appreciated...not a drastic need...well, kinda...but it's kinda ongoing... Okay, here's the deal.

We recently applied for an increase in our life insurance, which necessitated both of us to have mini-physicals by a nurse who came to our house. I got the once over; when it was hubby's turn, she took his blood pressure, looked very concerned, and said, 'You're going to see a doctor by the weekend.' This was on a Wednesday evening. His 'under' number (can never remember which is diastolic, which is systolic) was 115.

He saw our doctor the next day, who immediately prescribed meds; usually they would start with lifestyle changes (which the doctor also directed), but the doctor said the blood pressure has to come down NOW.

So, he's taking the meds, and is doing the prescribed exercise and eating healthier. He's never really eaten poorly, it's more fitting exercise into a commuter/desk job lifestyle. He sees the doctor in a month to assess how things are going.

He's not exactly freaked out, just concerned...and feeling guilty about leaving his health sorta out of the picture...and it's such an odd feeling, not feeling at all 'sick', but being told there is an immediate need for change. Often with high blood pressure there are no symptoms at all, until body systems start shutting down.

His job stress won't change, though. We're also in the midst of finalizing steps to build in the spring...not sure if there's more stress in going ahead or holding back.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Kiwifan
11-30-05, 01:26 PM
You take car of him! We men need all of the help we can get, or so my wife tells me. ;)

I hope you get things sorted. It's funny, haven't jumped on the scales or been near a Dr in years but just after I got back from Aus I "caught" myself in the mirror and thought I'd put on weight. As I haven't it's gotta be middle aged spread so I think it's time for a bit of a lifestyle change too.

Like your hubby I'm reasonably fit, don't each much rubbish but all of the same.....

All of the best to you and yours my friend.

Rusty.

trish
11-30-05, 02:49 PM
Will do. Good luck to you and the hubby. :)

oddlycalm
11-30-05, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Tiana, but it is a siuation that can be managed. Not sure if you have a cardio-rehab facility in your area, but if you do he's going to want to get referred there. Supervised exercise at least twice per week and he should meet with a dietician. With severe hypertension self-directed excercise can be dangerous without somebody monitoring BP, pulse and blood oxygen. Don't want to do damage while trying to do good. There's no mystery about what foods are aggravating factors, but which ones vary by effect with the individual. If he smokes, that's history regardless what it takes to finish it. Caffeine is history as well.

The real challenge is learning to cook healthy food in ways that actually make you want to eat it. Salt, red meat and saturated oil are at the top of the chart, but that doesn't mean you can't eat food that tastes good. Use olive oil and cold pressed canola instead of other vegetable oils. Sub fish for meat, and use spices instead of salt. Lots of fresh dark greens like beet, kale, spinach, etc. Greens wilted in olive oil, garlic and low sodium chicken broth (or with a dozen other spice combinations) are a good way to fill up without doing damage. TV cooks like Rachel Ray have dozens of really good greens recipes. Pasta is fine and so are grains. Hash browns cooked without oil in a non-stick pan with ketchup is good and filling. Just a matter of finding what he likes.

Ironically, dietary modification was one of the things that got me into slow cooked BBQ which renders most of the grease out of cooked meats. Most folks don't think of Q as health food, but with the right cuts it can be pretty health if eaten in moderation. Grilling is fine as well, but you have to start with really lean meat like skinless chicken breasts and fish and use a salt free spice rub of powdered chiles, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, coriander, etc. tast great and are good for you. My favorite is to marinade chicken in the juice of one lime, an equal amount of olive oil and two tablespoon of Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom rub for 45 minutes prior to grilling. Good eats, doesn't stick to the grill and no salt. Another I like real well is grilled salmon filet with a white wine/citrus glaze. Takes all of 15 minutes to prepare it, and it can be done inside under an oven broiler in a pinch.

Another challenge is traveling. Commercial restaurant food is loaded with sodium and grease and airline flights aggravate hypertension by lowering blood oxygen saturation below 90%. Baked potatoes, steamed veggies, fruits and salads are often the only choices (ugh), although it is getting better.

Good luck with the lifestyle change. Try to keep him focused on what is important. Jobs, projects, etc. are window dressings that don't mean much if one isn't around to enjoy them. Reducing exposure to annoying jerks can be just as impotant as diet and exercise, particulary in countries that don't allow handguns... ;)

oc

nrc
11-30-05, 10:27 PM
Don't know if I was special because my BP was high at a relatively young age, but my doc did some kind of renal study to make sure that it wasn't caused by kidney problems.

That ruled out it's 50 mg Tenormin forever. Beta-blockers rule.

dando
12-01-05, 01:12 PM
Tiana, just be thankful you found like this. As others have posted this is manageable to live a full life. Thoughts & prayers for you and yer kin.

NRC, beta blockers? I guess that explains how you put up with us kids. :)

-Kevin

nrc
12-01-05, 06:36 PM
NRC, beta blockers? I guess that explains how you put up with us kids. :)

-Kevin
Just remember, I'm only allowed one a day. :)

Ankf00
12-01-05, 06:47 PM
Just remember, I'm only allowed one a day. :)

well, if you ever start up on Valium, be sure to let us know so we can adjust puerility to appropriate levels :D

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/spinaltap-36821.jpg

Anteater
12-02-05, 10:49 PM
Good thing your husband had that exam before the high blood pressure caused some serious trouble! I'll keep him in my prayers.

anait
12-15-05, 12:35 PM
Update o'rama...

Mr anait is doing okay, but quite down...kicking himself for not tackling lifestyle issues until now.

Both insurance applications were declined. Still have existing policies, and it's not like he was after enough coverage to make us wealthy, or like we're assuming the worst will happen...but in the immediate future this will likely affect our building plans. We would have enough with current policies to cover approx 1/3 of the new home's value. The bank probably won't say 'no, you can't build'...but they wouldn't exactly recommend it.

My dad died of a heart attack with no insurance, left my mom with a negative balance - so mr anait has that in the back of his mind, but is trying to dwell on the positive, improve things now...

I'm trying to be positive, to encourage him that he's doing well with changes, that I'm really not upset with him...he needs to know that his family is behind him in this and we'll take whatever comes...

Hopefully his trip to Nicaragua in February will be a good break for him, bit of big picture perspective getting...he and two other friends are going to assist building a kitchen and dining hall for an orphanage.

Thanks for the continued thoughts, folks. :)

Anteater
12-28-05, 03:57 PM
Glad your husband's doing OK, anait. And when he gets down on himself for ignoring health issues, just thank him and praise him for all his new healthy choices! We're pulling for him here.