PDA

View Full Version : Awkward social situations?

oddlycalm
11-27-05, 05:09 PM
The holidays are times when people that don't see each other often get together, often with strange, awkward or embarrassing results. Anybody want to entertain us with thier holiday story? :D

oc

Sean O'Gorman
11-27-05, 09:31 PM
Who said awkward social situations should be restricted to the holidays?

Ziggy
11-27-05, 09:35 PM
One time at a Christmas Party some guy was talking about Wisconsin, and having a few drinks in me made the comment, "only thing from Wisconsin are whores and football players" to which he replied, "I will have you know my wife is from Wisconsin."

Only thing I could think of "what position does she play?"

thats an old joke. :rofl:

Winston Wolfe
11-28-05, 01:02 AM
I got a good one. From this year.
Walking across the thresh hold with the family and inlaws in tow to another good friend of the family's home. Mother in Law says "you first", I say "No, go ahead... my hands are full".... she begins to walk in, and BAM!... she missteps on the brick walkway, falls headfirst towards the door, and puts her hands out to stop herself, falls on her left side and rolls onto her backside and slides back towards the door, hits her head on a solid wood door, and comes to rest with a THUD!.... Weird deal, cuz it all happened in s-l-o-w- m-o-t-i-o-n, but when I think about it in detail, I can hear every nuance of the fall happening over and over. Weird deal.
When I got home later that evening and the In-Laws had gone their way, I am sitting on the sofa, and tried to relay the story to the wife as to how it all happened, and I just started laughing.... I couldnt stop when I got to the part about how she made so many sounds falling such a short distance, and barely missed the basket full of goodies that I had for the party. Anyways, I start laughing, so the wife does too.... pretty soon I am trying to recreate the fall with a demonstration, and I am laughing so hard that I begin to cry, and the wife is laughing too.... I then am LITERALLY rolling on the floor, grabbing my completely gorged mid-section, gasping for air, and my chest\stomach begin to hurt from laughing so hard.... Wife has to remove herself from the room, since she is now starting to laugh... She goes to the bathroom, and I am still on the floor laughing trying to make myself stop, because this is, after all, my wife's mother, who is 72 and this is NOT FUNNY, but for some reason, I am dying with laughter.....
Nothing like a good fall to give you a chance to laugh at someone else's expense !!!! btw: she is fine, her wrist is okay, and the M-I-L is just a little sore.

oddlycalm
11-28-05, 01:58 AM
Who said awkward social situations should be restricted to the holidays? I bow to your mastery of the year round socially awkward moment Sensei... :D

OK, here's mine. Our daughter was going with her boyfriend, who is a documentary film producer, for an early T-day dinner with him and his parents. She was coming here afterward and asked if we wanted to stop by for a visit to meet his parents. So we get to his condo and meet them, and they seem nice enough. His mother is busy telling me that they went to a well regarded German restaurant and how wonderful the spätzel, sausage and kraut she had was and how large the servings were. A few minutes later she excuses herself and retires to the lieu. Now this is a rather small condo, and it was apparent the spätzel, sausage, kraut were no longer on friendly terms. :eek:

My wife and I eased out on the deck, even though it was cold and beginning to rain. A few minutes later our daughter joined us followed a few minutes later by her boyfriend. At this point she turns to him and said; "Dude, your mom totally dropped a deuce," to which he nodded and starting laughing uncontrollably, soon joined by our daughter. My wife and I were trying not to laugh out loud, and nearly blowing a gasket from the effort. The real challenge was when we went back inside into that diabolical pall and had to smile, pretend nothing had happened, and make sure we didn't convulse with involuntary laughter. We soon said our goodbyes and made our good our escape from the affected area.

The rest of our T-day was without consequence. Not sure I'll want any German food for a good long time...

oc

Michaelhatesfans
11-28-05, 04:07 AM
:rofl:

CARTNUT
11-28-05, 01:21 PM
I got a good one. From this year.
Walking across the thresh hold with the family and inlaws in tow to another good friend of the family's home. Mother in Law says "you first", I say "No, go ahead... my hands are full".... she begins to walk in, and BAM!... Nothing like a good fall to give you a chance to laugh at someone else's expense !!!!

You tripped her, didn't you! :saywhat: ;)

devilmaster
11-28-05, 04:01 PM
K - here's one for me....

Back in 94, when I was still in the Naval Reserves, my bud Kev and myself were heading up to Halifax for the summer. The Navy, trying to save a dime whenever they could, would train us up from Windsor to Toronto, catch an airporter Bus from Union station to the airport, then fly us from Toronto to Halifax. (it saved about 200 bucks per person this way instead of flying to toronto, but added 5 to 6 extra hours onto the trip, but i digress)

Anyways, we're in full dress uniforms on a nice warm early summer day. We're standing outside waiting for the train to board and we are standing right beside the door to the station (this is important).

There are a few of us heading out, and family members are there too, so we are all in a group chatting away. I don't remember exactly what the topic was, but we were talking about places in windsor or something, and I was describing where a certain restaurant was and decided to point it out, saying something like it was a few miles thata way - and I extended my arm behind me and pointed in the direction where it was.

I didn't actually look where i was pointing.

As I pointed, my hand encountered something soft.

Really soft.

I turned and looked at a large, very well endowed black woman and take a wild stab where my hand was. Yep, you got it. She had just walked out the door and here's this young, very handsome (hey, I can dream :p ) military man apparently pointing out her boob.

I turned about as white as you can possibly imagine, and started sputtering apologies as quickly as I could.

The lady just gave me a warm smile, and said "Its alright suga."

:D

oddlycalm
11-28-05, 04:42 PM
I turned about as white as you can possibly imagine, and started sputtering apologies as quickly as I could.

The lady just gave me a warm smile, and said "Its alright suga." Gotta admire her grace under pressure. :thumbup: As far as turning white at such moments Steve, I seem to prefer a particularly attractive shade of crimson tinged with purple... ;)

oc