PDA

View Full Version : shocking trick in dover this year

High Sided
11-26-05, 11:17 AM
just read a great little trick hendrick pulled earlier in the year...

After Hendrick Motorsports drivers Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch finished 1-2 at Dover, NASCAR officials discovered rear shock absorbers that raised their cars up when they hit bumps, providing a significant aerodynamic advantage. :thumbup: :thumbup:

NASCAR decided that the shocks were legal, but changed the rules after the race, banning them in the future.

Stu
11-26-05, 12:10 PM
just read a great little trick hendrick pulled earlier in the year...

After Hendrick Motorsports drivers Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch finished 1-2 at Dover, NASCAR officials discovered rear shock absorbers that raised their cars up when they hit bumps, providing a significant aerodynamic advantage. :thumbup: :thumbup:

NASCAR decided that the shocks were legal, but changed the rules after the race, banning them in the future.

You know, that's stupid. NASCAR pisses me off when they do stuff like that. Instead of just banning stuff that gives people an advantage, why not let the teams do it. Smart teams will figure out what others are doing and do the same. In the end it will all work out.

Now I am not talking about allowing jet engines on the back to give rediculous times and whatnot, but for shocks, come on, lets get some evolution to the sport.

pchall
11-26-05, 01:34 PM
When I read about that during the season my reaction was "NASCRAP as usual".

This is just the result of a series that is so over regulated and over controlled by the ownership for commericial reasons that the only way to find a competitive edge is to cheat. :shakehead That little shock jacking trick violated the spirit, if not the letter of all of NASCAR's aero regs. After it was discovered they wrote that into the regs to make it illegal.

Oddly, this makes me think that Penske South must be really moribund these days since they haven't had a single development regulated out of use in years. :rofl:

devilmaster
11-26-05, 01:44 PM
Now I am not talking about allowing jet engines on the back to give rediculous times and whatnot,

The return of the Turbine!!! :D :rofl: ;)

Methanolandbrats
11-26-05, 02:03 PM
This is just the result of a series that is so over regulated and over controlled by the ownership for commericial reasons that the only way to find a competitive edge is to cheat. :shakehead That little shock jacking trick violated the spirit, if not the letter of all of NASCAR's aero regs. After it was discovered they wrote that into the regs to make it illegal.

:If the rules only mentioned minimum ride height before and after the race, the shock jacking is innovation, not cheating. If they want to write it into the rules, then write it in for next year, not in the middle of the season. This is why NASCAR is not racing, it is a manipulated entertainment series.

oddlycalm
11-26-05, 07:25 PM
You know, that's stupid.
- snip -
come on, lets get some evolution to the sport. Agreed and agreed.

oc

NismoZ
11-26-05, 09:52 PM
What about the plenum spacers? Should Honda have been allowed to run them the rest of the year? Jim Hall's snowmobile engine? Articulated side skirts? Movable wings? (my favorite)...now they can't even have trick shocks! So what do the chief "engineers" suggest? Let more air out of the tires! :thumbup:

Stu
11-27-05, 10:19 AM
What about the plenum spacers? Should Honda have been allowed to run them the rest of the year? Jim Hall's snowmobile engine? Articulated side skirts? Movable wings? (my favorite)...now they can't even have trick shocks! So what do the chief "engineers" suggest? Let more air out of the tires! :thumbup:

Well it worked so well at Lowe's.