PDA

View Full Version : RIP Richard Burns.

Cam
11-26-05, 09:44 AM
Awwww man!!!! This sucks! :(

Rest in Peace Richard

Rallying-Former world rally champion Burns dies

(Reuters) - Former world rally champion Richard Burns has died after a long illness, a statement issued on behalf of his family said on Saturday.

The Briton, who was 34, died on Friday evening of a brain tumour with his partner, family and close friends at his bedside. He had been in a coma for some days.

Burns, who in 2001 with Subaru became the only English driver to win the world championship, was diagnosed with the tumour while with Peugeot in 2003 after blacking out at the wheel on his way to the British Rally in Wales.

He had been due to return to Subaru in 2004 but the illness forced him to withdraw from that season.

The Briton, overall runner-up in 1999 and 2000 and winner of 10 rounds of the world rally championship, had a course of chemotherapy and radiotherapy last year and in April this year underwent brain surgery.

"From the outset, Richard knew that the odds were heavily against him and yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour," said the statement.

"Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy, he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004. For a while his health showed signs of improvement but then after six months it once again began to decline.

"Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active," the statement added.

"At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received.

"However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma."

He died on the fourth anniversary of his championship win.

JohnHKart
11-26-05, 09:48 AM
I did not know this....I know all about his tumour....but I always thought he would pull through....I am totally upset about this. Thanks for posting. This is so frickin sad I can't believe it!!!!!!!

John

Wally
11-26-05, 11:10 AM
RIP Richard.......

Kiwifan
11-26-05, 11:23 AM
Oh man, that really sucks. He was a real talent and will be missed by many.

I hope he finds Possum up there and they can race forever. :cry:

Rusty.

trish
11-26-05, 12:13 PM
:( I remember hearing of him being ill a few years back, but I thought he was getting better. RIP. :(

Methanolandbrats
11-26-05, 01:38 PM
:(

oddlycalm
11-26-05, 07:21 PM
Very sorry to learn of Richard's passing. :(

oc

cart7
11-26-05, 10:23 PM
:( Very sad. I've wondered about his health since we really hadn't heard much. god bless his family and friends.

emjaya
11-27-05, 07:31 AM
:( Very sad news