PDA

View Full Version : Arbitor rules against T.O.

devilmaster
11-23-05, 05:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Apdnhi3fVSx5DSUsym7fDkE5nYcB?slug=ap-eagles-owenshearing&prov=ap&type=lgns

Terrell Owens was shut down completely: his grievance, his time with the Philadelphia Eagles, his season.

For conduct proven to be a "destructive and continuing threat" to his team, an arbitrator ruled Wednesday that the Eagles were justified in suspending their All-Pro receiver for four games -- and are within their rights to deactivate him for the rest of the year.

The Eagles will now look to trade or release Owens before next March, when he's due a $5 million roster bonus. Arbitrator Richard Bloch wrote in his 38-page decision that there was "no violation of the labor agreement inherent in the club's decision to pay Mr. Owens, but not to permit him to play or practice due to the nature of his conduct and its destructive and continuing threat to the team."

After the ruling, the Eagles released a one-paragraph statement thanking Bloch for considering the matter and saying Philadelphia is looking forward to "moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game vs. Green Bay and the rest of the 2005 season and will have no further comment on this issue."

rabbit
11-23-05, 06:04 PM
Bu-bye TO, don't let the door... :thumbup:

dando
11-23-05, 06:28 PM
10-1 he ends up on the Lions. :D :gomer:

:runs:

Oh, and I found it amusing that the NFLPA will have the opportunity to remove this particular arbitrator from overseeing any NFL cases w/in the next month or two. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Gnam
11-23-05, 06:53 PM
How much cash will the Eagles have to pay Owens for not playing?

devilmaster
11-23-05, 07:11 PM
10-1 he ends up on the Lions. :D :gomer:

:runs:

-Kevin

Wow. I gave 5-2 odds. Knowing how stupidly the Fords run their team, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.... And then I torch all my Lions gear thats left, and then I will ebay my NFL team loyalty to the highest bidder.

How much cash will the Eagles have to pay Owens for not playing?

Well since the ruling was upheld, TO loses his pay for the 4 games of the suspension, but will get his regular salary for the final games of the season after that. I remember reading it, its something like a few million.

IIRC - TO's deal was front end loaded, which means alot of it was signing bonus. For some reason $600,000 or so a game comes to mind.

Gnam
11-23-05, 07:19 PM
Wow. I gave 5-2 odds. Knowing how stupidly the Fords run their team, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.... And then I torch all my Lions gear thats left, and then I will ebay my NFL team loyalty to the highest bidder.
I thought Mooch and TO didn't get along.

dando
11-23-05, 07:37 PM
I thought Mooch and TO didn't get along.
They don't. There's almost 0 chance of that happening, nor him going to @lanta, which is where his former OC from SF is now. However, coaches and GMs desperate to save their @zzes may do something strange.

Personally, I'm glad we won't hear anything more about TO for a day or two now.

-Kevin

TravelGal
11-24-05, 01:51 AM
IIRC - TO's deal was front end loaded, which means alot of it was signing bonus. For some reason $600,000 or so a game comes to mind.

I just read something about them having to unload him before Feb or there is a $5 million "roster" payment. Must be nice just to get $5 mil for having your name on the roster. :thumdown:

Andrew Longman
11-24-05, 06:55 AM
I was nervous about this ruling. I am no Iggles fan, but I do care about the health of the sport.

If it was ruled that TO had a right to work after the suspension and the Eagles were forced to release him, then another team competing with the Eagles for a playoff spot (well that's not too likely now) could pick him up.

Forcing the Eagles to choose between keeping him on the team or competing against him seems totally unfair and sets a precedent that would make it impossible for any team to maintain discipline.

The likes of TO are ruining the sport and it was long overdue that the NFL and the Eagles pulled things back.

How surprising is it the Michael Irvin and Trottier are still defending him. Just don't get it do they?

Ziggy
11-24-05, 02:07 PM
If it was ruled that TO had a right to work after the suspension and the Eagles were forced to release him

He is still their property. They will have to pay him something, but I think the roster bonus will be pro rated for the time he was on the team. It's in their best interest to sit him one year.

Frick that idiot. :thumdown:

Cam
11-24-05, 08:15 PM
If it was ruled that TO had a right to work after the suspension and the Eagles were forced to release him

I used to like to go to work, but they shut it down,
I've got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found

Stu
11-24-05, 08:54 PM
I used to like to go to work, but they shut it down,
I've got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found

You don't have a right to work. This isn't Russia. You work if you deserve it.

Cam
11-24-05, 08:58 PM
You don't have a right to work. This isn't Russia. You work if you deserve it.

Whippersnappers! :shakehead

FTG
11-24-05, 11:05 PM
Someone will pick him up. Be interesting to see who. More interesting to see if he gets a signing bonus or not. Even more interesting to see how long he lasts.

Andrew Longman
11-25-05, 01:40 PM
Someone will pick him up. Be interesting to see who. More interesting to see if he gets a signing bonus or not. Even more interesting to see how long he lasts.

He'll get work, but not like the deal he had with the Eagles or that he hoped he could renegotiate. I predict lots of one year deals with desparate teams or teams that think they just need one more piece to put them over the top (not unlike what the Eagles thought, except they thought they could work with him.)

Winston Wolfe
11-25-05, 01:55 PM

one of the ESPN Football guy's (Mort Anderson, I think) ran through a list of all of the teams in the League who "could" take him. Put all of the helmets up on the screen and in a "Space Invaders" kind of skit, blasted out all of the teams who "Would not", "Could Not", or "Should Not" take T.O. when he becomes available. Stuff like Former coaches from SF now at other teams, teams with Salary Cap issues, Player personnel issues, and other factors pretty much ruled out EVERY team in the league... teams like the Niners, Falcons, Steelers, even Raiders were ruled out for logical reasons... Others were kind of a stretch, but bottom line is this: Owens will probably "never" sign a long term contract again in this league, and he more likely end up with a NFL minimum contract, heavily laiden with clauses, performance based bonuses, with strict rules about conduct. He has painted himself into this corner, and deserves to lose every dollar that he is losing. No doubt that Dood is a great talent on the field, but just another example of an athlete who thinks people want to "hear" him, rather than "see" him... :thumdown:

FTG
11-25-05, 02:24 PM
If I were a GM, I'd sign him to a one year deal, no signing bonus, which meant that I could cut him whenever I wanted.

I have a feeling, however, that someone might make him a better offer.