PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Day!

Ankf00
11-22-05, 12:08 PM
So who's serving up something different other than the usual?

I think I'm going to try out some deep-fried gobble gobble this year. Any tips other than "don't burn your parents' house down?" :D

Picks:
Detroit wins despite Joey Heisman :gomer:
Dallas wins to lead the NFC East :saywhat:
Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl

rabbit
11-22-05, 12:51 PM
Went to my wife's family Thanksgiving last weekend. Her aunt, who is a caterer, served pizza subs. :saywhat: :rolleyes: :thumdown:

Stu
11-22-05, 01:42 PM
Church in the morning. Thats the highlight of the day cuz then there is family :rolleyes:

Hoping to avoid all that and just watch NFL.

Jealous of my mom cuz she is going to Vegas on Thursday night.

G.
11-22-05, 01:50 PM
I think I'm going to try out some deep-fried gobble gobble this year. Any tips other than "don't burn your parents' house down?" :D

Most common mistake with fryers is they put too much peanut oil in the tub. Lower the bird in, fooommp, flames.

You have to test the oil level with water when everything's cool. Put the bird in, adjust water to right level, remove bird and mark the remaining water level.

I would LOVE to try a turducken someday.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/turducken.html

Several years ago, I went with my family to my aunt and uncle Cassie and Joe Luquet's place in Mandeville for Christmas Day dinner, as we usually do. When I got there, they said, "Hey, we've got a surprise for you!" They drew the hype out until the "surprise" was removed from the oven and placed before me. "A turkey," I said. "Big deal!" They smiled and shook their heads. On further examination, the turkey looked a little saggy, as if it didn't have a backbone. It didn't. In fact, there were no bones in it at all. In fact, it wasn't just a turkey at all; it was a Turducken -- a turkey, stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken, with oyster dressing inside the chicken, andouille dressing between the chicken and the duck, and cornbread dressing between the duck and the turkey. Wow.

Stu
11-22-05, 02:28 PM
Most common mistake with fryers is they put too much peanut oil in the tub. Lower the bird in, fooommp, flames.

You have to test the oil level with water when everything's cool. Put the bird in, adjust water to right level, remove bird and mark the remaining water level.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/turducken.html

http://www.mediocreminds.com/03q3/misc/pcs/john_madden.jpg

^ Worlds biggest Turducken Fan

Ankf00
11-22-05, 02:35 PM
There's a place that makes them in Houston according to that site, hrm.... :D
I've only got 2 to 3 more years before the slow metabolism kicks in, I've got to get all of this good stuff out of the way before then!

RHR_Fan
11-22-05, 02:52 PM
I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. I get my first "major" break from school!

~Nicole

jcollins28
11-22-05, 03:04 PM
Duck? Yuck! To greesy for me.

Stu
11-22-05, 03:08 PM
Bush just pardoned the Presidential Turkeys as a part of a tradition dating back to Harry Truman. Marshmallow and Yam were saved from being eaten this year and will be heading to the west coast to be the grand marshall and backup grand marshall of Disneyland's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Ankf00
11-22-05, 03:25 PM
http://home.tiac.net/~cri_d/cri/1997/camel.html

Who wants to try sheep stuffed whole camel? :D

TKGAngel
11-22-05, 03:34 PM

Paula Deen did a Thanksgiving show with a Turducken. Looked interesting to prepare.

Bush just pardoned the Presidential Turkeys as a part of a tradition dating back to Harry Truman. Marshmallow and Yam were saved from being eaten this year and will be heading to the west coast to be the grand marshall and backup grand marshall of Disneyland's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

How is it no President has gotten called out for being soft on turkeys? ;)

Gnam
11-22-05, 03:35 PM
Here's a blog of someone's attempt this year. link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175233,00.html)
Sounds pretty tricky.

dando
11-22-05, 05:16 PM
Paula Deen did a turducken on her Thxgiving FoodTV special this year. To much work for me.

I've done the fried bird thing a few times. Don't do it on a deck or near flammable materials. Don't drink too much before you dunk the bird. Don't overfill the pot with oil. Check for the proper fill point using H2O. s-l-o-w-l-y lower the bird into the oil. Being a rocket scientist, you shouldn't have any probs, f00. :gomer:

I've also smoked one on the grill, which is quite tasty. This year I'm just doing a boring old brined and roasted bird while sipping some Jack and watching foosball. :)

-Kevin

KLang
11-22-05, 06:56 PM

Yep, DO NOT mark the water level while the bird is still in the water. I did that the first time I fried one (too many beers :o ) Fortunatly no flames but it did make a hell of a mess on the pavers by the pool we had at the time. :mad: Bird was great though.

My wife is hooked on me frying a bird every year now.

dando
11-22-05, 10:01 PM
Yep, DO NOT mark the water level while the bird is still in the water. I did that the first time I fried one (too many beers :o ) Fortunatly no flames but it did make a hell of a mess on the pavers by the pool we had at the time. :mad: Bird was great though.

My wife is hooked on me frying a bird every year now.
well, i think the key there is to leave the bird wrapped to measure the level, or fully dry off the bird when yer finished. ;)

-kevin

Methanolandbrats
11-22-05, 10:24 PM
I've also smoked one on the grill, which is quite tasty.

-Kevin

That's the best way. I came up with a way to make smoked gravy. Put a 9x12 pan on the bottom rack with tinfoil wings on both sides to keep grit out of the pan. The charcoal is on both sides of the pan. The pan has white wine, water, butter and chopped onion in it to begin with. The bird is placed on the top rack and cooked by indirect heat. Adjust the openings until you have 350F. The bird is unstuffed. The raw bird is basted with olive oil and paprika which gives it a nice reddish color. I baste the bird every 30 minutes. The last 30 minutes throw some shagbark hickory bark on the coals to smoke it. Incredible texture and taste. The pan with the drippings can be retrieved and heated on the stove over low heat to make gravy. Just add a flour rue. Damn, I'm hungry.

Ankf00
11-22-05, 11:36 PM
:saywhat: control freak aunt #1 already sent li'l cuz to the store to pick up the ham, the "boxes" of potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc... and turned down sis' offer to make fresh pumpkin pies, "my kids like my pies, so I will make them." sure lady... and everyone loved your mango pulp from a can you used to make when we were kids too. then there were the **** ass falafels :saywhat: looks like I'll be feasting on Indian food Thursday evening, the only fresh food that will be served at the time..

between her, control freak aunt #2 flying in tonight, and the re-hydrated meal that awaits us all, I don't know why I'm bothering to drive home :gomer:

at least I get to ditch Friday morning to drive to Collie Station to witness the Fleecing of the Aggy :D

TravelGal
11-23-05, 02:24 AM
:
between her, control freak aunt #2 flying in tonight, and the re-hydrated meal that awaits us all, I don't know why I'm bothering to drive home :gomer:

to have stories to tell your progeny my dear, to have stories to tell.

On the othe hand, I am making the same turkey dinner I have made for the last 20 years. If I vary one thing, I get complaints. Pretty basic stuff. 20 lb turkey, rolls, frozen peas (or should I say "unfrozen peas"?), herb stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. Stuffing, etc, all homemade, of course.

extramundane
11-23-05, 11:49 AM
Roasted pork tenderloin rolled with chorizo & crabmeat stuffing. Who needs turkey?

Ankf00
11-24-05, 12:40 AM
Herbert's Specialty Meats is on Nightline right now talking about ppl driving 100 miles or more to buy a Turducken. haha, awesome!

Andrew Longman
11-24-05, 07:05 AM
I have about 40 nephews, nieces, cousins, uncles, aunts, grandmothers,brothers, sisters and in laws coming.

I will do three turkeys and an ham. One turkey in the smoker (went on about an hour ago), one on the weber and one in the oven. Cornbread and cranberry stuffing, prociutto stuffing and a traditional herb stuffing. Sweet and white potatos, pies, wine, etc., etc.

And football.

My favorite day of the year. :D

TRDfan
11-24-05, 09:29 AM
I get to enjoy 7 ounces of turkey, a VERY small portion of my Mom's stuffing (which I love), some romaine lettuce, a cup of raw baby carrots, 1/2 banana......and if I'm really daring - a sliver of pumpkin pie with lite Cool Whip.

This weight loss thing has been okay - but today and the Christmas season are going to suck.

28.6 lbs and counting.

racer2c
11-24-05, 12:03 PM
Roasted pork tenderloin rolled with chorizo & crabmeat stuffing. Who needs turkey?

Save me a slice of that! I'm 45 miles up the road. I'll be there in 25 minutes. :D

extramundane
11-24-05, 02:43 PM
Save me a slice of that! I'm 45 miles up the road. I'll be there in 25 minutes. :D

...which is about 10 minutes longer than the pork will last! ;)

Methanolandbrats
11-24-05, 03:46 PM
I have about 40 nephews, nieces, cousins, uncles, aunts, grandmothers,brothers, sisters and in laws coming.

I will do three turkeys and an ham. One turkey in the smoker (went on about an hour ago), one on the weber and one in the oven. Cornbread and cranberry stuffing, prociutto stuffing and a traditional herb stuffing. Sweet and white potatos, pies, wine, etc., etc.

And football.

My favorite day of the year. :DFeeding 40? That's a serious thrash in the kitchen, way to go :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
11-25-05, 01:46 PM
Feeding 40? That's a serious thrash in the kitchen, way to go :thumbup:

All went really, really well. We all had a blast.

Started cooking at 4:30 am and the kitchen was cleaned and I was unconcious by 10 pm

Time for a turkey sandwich on toast with black pepper, mayo, cranberry sauce and lettuce. And a little couch time in front of a football game :D

oddlycalm
11-25-05, 05:46 PM
I'm impressed, we've got good variety as well as some epic cooks here. Even some meat smoking.... :thumbup:

Nothing special in the meal department around here, strictly old school. Didn't even bother to put the bird on the smoker due to general weather suckage. Had a great meal and visited and laughed for hours, which is always the main event anyway.

oc

chop456
11-25-05, 05:54 PM
Fried 2 10-pounders with the best result yet. Perfection. Mashed sweet taters w/pecans and bourbon, green bean casserole, homemade cran sauce, stuffing from scratch, smashed taters w/roasted garlic and horseradish, Sierra Celebration ale, Maker's Mark and a cigar. Stuffed and sufficiently drunk for an 11pm bedtime, and I didn't even yell at anyone. :thumbup: