PDA

View Full Version : "Standing Mile" drag race from Motor Trend

indyfan31
11-21-05, 12:25 PM
How do I get a job like this?

Motor Trend (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=2572)

.... guess who was quickest? ;)

devilmaster
11-21-05, 12:43 PM
here's a thought - what would the numbers be if they had used super speedway trim?

here's another thought - what would the numbers be if they had used a better CC team? ;)

pchall
11-21-05, 12:53 PM
Certainly not the IRL car.

I suppose they couldn't get an engine.

High Sided
11-21-05, 01:40 PM
as far as dream jobs i envy the guy's who host top gear. they get to push just about every type of car made plus they make enough money to buy the new gt40.

Hard Driver
11-21-05, 06:37 PM
I guess after taking the rear wing off his grand am car and spinning wheels at 180, he decided not to do that with the champ car. ;)

Don Quixote
11-21-05, 07:26 PM
as far as dream jobs i envy the guy's who host top gear. they get to push just about every type of car made plus they make enough money to buy the new gt40.
I've always coveted Alan DeCadenet's (sp?) job driving those vintage Ferrari's and whatnot around the twisty roads of Europe. :thumbup:

devilmaster
11-21-05, 07:31 PM
I've always coveted Alan DeCadenet's (sp?) job driving those vintage Ferrari's and whatnot around the twisty roads of Europe. :thumbup:

yeah, but he does have a downside..... almost getting his head taken off by a supermarine spitfire, having to work with ol' racist Brocky.....

:)

indyfan31
11-21-05, 08:19 PM
yeah, but he does have a downside..... almost getting his head taken off by a supermarine spitfire ....:)
That was one of the best "Holy $#!t" moments on video. :laugh:

Anteater
11-21-05, 08:22 PM
:confused: Isn't the magazine article from Road & Track rather than Motor Trend?

Pretty cool article, anyway. I enjoyed reading that issue when it was published. Champ Car beat the IRL car, nyah nyah nyah! :D

Opposite Lock
11-21-05, 08:42 PM
That was one of the best "Holy $#!t" moments on video. :laugh:

Actually, I think his quote was "F*!# me!" :cool: :thumbup:

NismoZ
11-21-05, 09:08 PM
Yeah, well, he probably saw that raft scene from Catch 22! :eek: What was that, a B-25?

L1P1
11-21-05, 09:40 PM
I read this article while getting an oil change. There were some interesting results. Like, although the Champ Car had the top time, it didn't have the top speed.

theunions
11-21-05, 11:54 PM
:confused: Isn't the magazine article from Road & Track rather than Motor Trend?

Precisely...when was the last time Motor Trend did an article on "racing" that wasn't related to NASCAR or worse, drifting?

Rocketdoc
11-22-05, 10:10 PM
How do I get a job like this?

Motor Trend (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=2572)

.... guess who was quickest? ;)

They are called "Ride and Drives", and many race instructors do them.

They're not all they're cracked up to be.

Some are fun, like this one, and others are driving dumb *** journalists, car dealers, or wealthy owners around, or teaching them not to destroy some very valuable machinery.

Pays well, but it takes its toll.

NismoZ
11-23-05, 01:26 PM
Steve Millen? One of my all-time favorites! Or was it Rod!? Great fun in the "old" days!

oddlycalm
11-23-05, 04:11 PM
There were some interesting results. Like, although the Champ Car had the top time, it didn't have the top speed. Yup, and the MV Augusta scooter was 4th quickest by 9th on top speed. The modded Viper makes great speed but it's carrying a lot of mass. The stock Viper was keeping the Corvette company of course. I was also amused that a top sportbike can blow off a Daytona Prototype in a timed mile. The cost ratio on that one is pretty staggering.

oc

Gnam
11-23-05, 04:25 PM
I was also amused that a top sportbike can blow off a Daytona Prototype in a timed mile. The cost ratio on that one is pretty staggering.
GrandAm isn't about lap-times. ;)

jonovision_man
11-23-05, 06:34 PM
Cool article.

Just like BAR-F1 on the salt flats, you're taking a car that's designed with enough downforce to take corners fast and testing it in a straight line. And a turn or two and the Champ Car would have been even more dominant.

jono

oddlycalm
11-26-05, 07:05 PM
a turn or two and the Champ Car would have been even more dominant. Yup, as in over the horizon gone.

oc

FCYTravis
11-26-05, 11:32 PM
Yep, that's Road and Track. And that's *our* Grand-Am car that was featured :cool:

We didn't bother taking the rear wing off like Paul Gentilozzi did to his Trans-Am car. Why try and fake the comparison? Just do it straight-up. On the Riley, the wing's more of a trim tab than anything else... or an air brake :rolleyes:

As for the sport bike... well, yeah, it weighs virtually nothing. Why would you be surprised that it would outrun a tube-frame sports prototype?

The bike also outran a Trans-Am car, a Ford GT, Ruf Turbo Porsches, a Lambo... etc. Heck, it was second to the Champ Car through the quarter-mile.

Very fitting that the Champ Car proved so dominant.

nrc
11-27-05, 12:24 AM
We didn't bother taking the rear wing off like Paul Gentilozzi did to his Trans-Am car. Why try and fake the comparison? Just do it straight-up. On the Riley, the wing's more of a trim tab than anything else... or an air brake :rolleyes:

According to the story, Rocketsports took the top element off, not the entire wing.

FCYTravis
11-27-05, 01:26 AM
Trans-Am cars only have single-element rear wings.

"So, stability be damned, he has the crew remove the XKR's large rear wing and heads out again."

coolhand
11-27-05, 03:20 AM

"So, stability be damned, he has the crew remove the XKR's large rear wing and heads out again."

either way that "prototype" was barely faster then a Trans-Am car.

FCYTravis
11-27-05, 03:57 AM
And either way, only one of those two cars has a series to race in next year.

Skater_36
11-27-05, 09:58 AM
Yup, and the MV Augusta scooter was 4th quickest by 9th on top speed. The modded Viper makes great speed but it's carrying a lot of mass. The stock Viper was keeping the Corvette company of course. I was also amused that a top sportbike can blow off a Daytona Prototype in a timed mile. The cost ratio on that one is pretty staggering.

oc

Back on topic:

I'm not so sure I buy the "picked up a pebble and damaged the turbo" excuse for the modded Viper. ;)

The Ford GT was very impressive for a stock street car. Loved the MV Agusta!

nrc
11-27-05, 11:50 AM

My mistake, misread and thought that you were talking about the Champ car.

FCYTravis
11-27-05, 06:04 PM
C'mon now, even I'm not a big enough shill to think that DPs would *ever* be anywhere near a Champ Car :) :gomer: