PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Crash at Homestead

trish
11-20-05, 10:48 PM
Two choppers crashed at the track. One collided with a motorhome.

Yes, I read it at AR1 first and then it popped up on Wind Tunnel.

AR1 says one person known to be injured.

Cam
11-20-05, 10:49 PM
What?????

trish
11-20-05, 10:51 PM
Two hellicopters collided and crashed. One of the hellicopters crashed into a motorhome in the infield.

theunions
11-20-05, 10:51 PM
Despain says one was landing, the other taking off.

JoeBob
11-20-05, 11:02 PM
http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/13220551.htm

Two helicopters collided outside Turn 2 of Homestead-Miami Speedway approximately 9 p.m. Eastern following Sunday's Ford 400 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series race.
Speedway officials confirmed at least one person was injured and none of those involved was a NASCAR competitor.

One of the helicopters was able to land in the helicopter landing area outside the track, an eyewitness said. The other up ended on on top of a recreational vehcile outside Turn 2. Medical personnel arrived at the scene about 9:10.

"There were two helicopters, and there was one above the other, and they both appeared to be coming down," eyewitness Jody Winnett of Melbourne, Fla. said. "The top helicopter's landing gear hit the rotors of the bottom helicopter.

"The top helicopter was able to land, and I saw that everybody was OK that was in that helicopter. The other helicopter slammed into the RV and exploded."

trish
11-20-05, 11:12 PM
No NASCAR participants are said to be involved. A pilot was injured.

cameraman
11-21-05, 01:36 AM
The pilot has died from his injuries.

Pilot Killed in Crash Outside Speedway
By The New York Times

HOMESTEAD, Fla., Nov. 20 - One pilot was killed in a collision of helicopters Sunday night outside Homestead-Miami Speedway after the Ford 400 Nascar Nextel Cup race.

The fatality was confirmed by Detective Nelda Fonticiella of the Miami-Dade Police Department.

The pilot was pronounced dead at an area hospital shortly after he was airlifted there, Fonticiella said.

The pilot's identity was withheld pending notification of the family.

Members of the F.A.A. and National Transportation Safety Board were on the scene, which was just outside Turn 2 of the racetrack.

trish
11-21-05, 08:08 AM
How sad. :( Condolences to his family.

fourrunner
11-21-05, 09:21 AM
Too Bad about the pilot !!

They're going to start needing Air Traffic Controllers at these Race Tracks!

God forbid you have to sit in Traffic after the Race !

Most of the Tracks I've been to always seem to have the Helipads next to the Motorhome compound ... Sooner more than later there's going to be carnage.

I've flown in Bell JetRangers a number of times ... the pilots have always stated that they are relatively safe, but that an "incident" is more a given and will happen in a pilots career.