trish
11-20-05, 04:02 PM
Just wondering.

rabbit
11-20-05, 04:06 PM
I dabble.

trish
11-20-05, 04:09 PM
When broiling a steak, are you supposed to turn it over at some point?

Cam
11-20-05, 04:30 PM
Yes! :saywhat:

trish
11-20-05, 04:32 PM
Yes! :saywhat:

:D I thought so, but I wasn't sure. I'm not much of a cook. :o

Methanolandbrats
11-20-05, 04:34 PM
Me :)

Cam
11-20-05, 04:41 PM
:D I thought so, but I wasn't sure. I'm not much of a cook. :o

I hope by now you have turned and taken it out of the broiler! Otherwise it will probably taste like charcoal! :D

trish
11-20-05, 04:43 PM
I wasn't actually cooking it, someone else was. It's a tad over cooked though.

KLang
11-20-05, 05:21 PM
The proper way to cook a steak is on a grill. ;)

I'm the primary cook at our house.

trish
11-20-05, 05:25 PM
The proper way to cook a steak is on a grill. ;)

I'm the primary cook at our house.
I don't have an indoor grill, unless George Foreman counts.

Sean O'Gorman
11-20-05, 05:52 PM
I can use this:

http://japanesecentral.com/Siryoo/pictureclips/furniture/microwave.jpg

Classic Apex
11-20-05, 06:14 PM
Broiling a steak?

Throw some crumbled blue cheese onto the steak for the final 2 1/2 minutes that its under the broiler.

:D

nissan gtp
11-20-05, 06:20 PM
cook ?

oh yeah :D

and you should turn yr steak over, preferable about 2/3 thru the cooking. and put it on a grill, not on the stove or (shudder) in the oven.

marinade it in something (use a big ziplock bag for an hour or so) --- soy+ginger+sherry+brown sugar, plus a tiny bit of baking soda (1/4 tsp or so)

dando
11-20-05, 07:08 PM
:raises hand:

Chief chef and bottle washer @ our house.

In fact, we're having steaks @ our place this evening. :) Yeas on the marinade, nada on the blue cheese (I love it, the wifey poo does not).

-Kevin

trish
11-20-05, 07:26 PM
cook ?

oh yeah :D

and you should turn yr steak over, preferable about 2/3 thru the cooking. and put it on a grill, not on the stove or (shudder) in the oven.

marinade it in something (use a big ziplock bag for an hour or so) --- soy+ginger+sherry+brown sugar, plus a tiny bit of baking soda (1/4 tsp or so)
That sounds delicious.

racermike
11-20-05, 07:45 PM
For never been to cooking school, am a VERY good cook at home.

Kinda learned from being around my mom in the kitchen a lot when younger, and am a natural at knowing how long to cook several items at once, and have them all be done at the same time.

I also learned how to clean as I cook, so by the time everything is done, the kitchen is cleaned up. (only dishes need to be done). That is an art form in itself.

pchall
11-20-05, 07:51 PM
trish, if you want to know stuff about cooking, buy a pb copy of this:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0684818701.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I taught myself to cook and entertain from an earlier edition while in grad school. There are folks on this forum you can attest to how good I've gotten over the years.

Cooking is great entertainment and a tasty hobby. Enjoy!

trish
11-20-05, 07:55 PM

I taught myself to cook and entertain from an earlier edition while in grad school. There are folks on this forum you can attest to how good I've gotten over the years.

Cooking is great entertainment and a tasty hobby. Enjoy!

I took a cooking class at my community college and ended up droppng out. :o

pchall
11-20-05, 07:57 PM
I took a cooking class at my community college and ended up droppng out. :o

Try, try again. :)

At home with noone looking over your shoulder might help.

nissan gtp
11-20-05, 07:58 PM
That sounds delicious.

give it a try, very easy and yummy.

extramundane
11-20-05, 08:22 PM

Yes, yes, yes. The only cookbook you'll ever need.

BTW, for steaks: Balsamic Vinegar, pepper-infused olive oil, garlic, cracked black pepper. Marinate for at least 1 hour, then grill. The same marinade is awesome for grilled veggie/seafood skewers too.

trish
11-20-05, 08:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I have the joy of cooking on cd somewhere....Yup, just found it. I bought it off the innernet from eversave.com.

I bought it in 2000.

Opposite Lock
11-20-05, 08:48 PM
great post, trish! :thumbup:

Fitti Fan
11-20-05, 10:02 PM
Yes, yes, yes. The only cookbook you'll ever need.

BTW, for steaks: Balsamic Vinegar, pepper-infused olive oil, garlic, cracked black pepper. Marinate for at least 1 hour, then grill. The same marinade is awesome for grilled veggie/seafood skewers too.

Mmmm, getting hungry now!!!

Also, we grill year round.

Cam
11-20-05, 10:07 PM
Just wish I could eat...... :(

trish
11-20-05, 10:39 PM
Are you ill?

RHR_Fan
11-20-05, 10:40 PM
I've been cooking and baking for years at home, but now I am going to school for it. On Wednesday we're making fresh pasta and duck. And this morning for breakfast I made buttermilk oatmeal-raisin-chocolate chip pancakes. Sundays are when I get creative for breakfast. hehe

~Nicole

Cam
11-20-05, 11:01 PM
Are you ill?

No...... In recovery.....

Ankf00
11-20-05, 11:03 PM
yes.

but the kitchen usually looks like it was carpet bombed when I'm done:D

JoeBob
11-20-05, 11:05 PM
There's been quite a few great food threads around here over the years.

I'm on the list of those who enjoy creating in the kitchen (or backyard by the grill)

Andrew Longman
11-21-05, 12:26 AM
Yes.

On my worst days of work I stop my the market and just browse.

Thai, Cajun, and Italian are my favorites.

Love to bake bread

Will grill anything 365 days a year in any weather.

My wife does Greek and Puerto Rican.

Fun to eat at my house. :D

trish
11-21-05, 01:02 AM
No...... In recovery.....

You didn't have gastro-bypass surgery did you?

trish
11-21-05, 01:05 AM
Yes.

On my worst days of work I stop my the market and just browse.

Thai, Cajun, and Italian are my favorites.

Love to bake bread

Will grill anything 365 days a year in any weather.

My wife does Greek and Puerto Rican.

Fun to eat at my house. :D
I tried to make bread last year, except it wasn't supposed to be flat bread. I could have layed the sidewalk with it.

Lizzerd
11-21-05, 01:24 AM

See here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8442)

TravelGal
11-21-05, 02:31 AM
I can cook pretty well (except for JoeBob's macacroni, which never seemed to come out the way we expected).

Cookbooks are guidelines. Usually much too confusing and too complicated for the beginner. Just COOK. If it's too thin, cook it more. If it's too thick, add liquid--anything from water to wine, depending on what flavor you are looking for. Figure out which flavors you like and start with them. Garlic? Tomato? Mustard? Spices? My mother never met a recipe she couldn't throw a can of tomatoes into. Well, almost never.

Tip #1 is don't keep poking the meat if you're broiling. You let all the juices out and it gets tough. Overall tip, you can cook it more but once it's overcooked. GAKKKK!

chop456
11-21-05, 02:34 AM

Of all the names I've ever called Cam, fatty isn't one of them. :laugh:

As for cookbooks, this is my bible: CIA: The Professional Chef (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471382574/002-6659019-3948866?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

trish
11-21-05, 08:11 AM
:(
See here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8442)
Sorry, I had forgotten about that.

trish
11-21-05, 08:13 AM
I can cook pretty well (except for JoeBob's macacroni, which never seemed to come out the way we expected).

Cookbooks are guidelines. Usually much too confusing and too complicated for the beginner. Just COOK. If it's too thin, cook it more. If it's too thick, add liquid--anything from water to wine, depending on what flavor you are looking for. Figure out which flavors you like and start with them. Garlic? Tomato? Mustard? Spices? My mother never met a recipe she couldn't throw a can of tomatoes into. Well, almost never.

Tip #1 is don't keep poking the meat if you're broiling. You let all the juices out and it gets tough. Overall tip, you can cook it more but once it's overcooked. GAKKKK!

I love cumin.

Cam
11-21-05, 08:25 AM
I love cumin.

There's the lob! :D

chop456
11-21-05, 08:41 AM
There's never a superfluous apostrophe around when you want one.

rabbit
11-21-05, 09:00 AM
'

Methanolandbrats
11-21-05, 09:27 AM
There's been quite a few great food threads around here over the years.

I'm on the list of those who enjoy creating in the kitchen (or backyard by the grill)

This site is the last word on smoking meat :D

trish
11-21-05, 09:36 AM
There's the lob! :D
Pronounced koo-muhn

tllips
11-21-05, 10:27 AM
Pronounced koo-muhn

YOU can pronounce it however you want! :eek: :D

RHR_Fan
11-21-05, 12:00 PM
Hey...if any of y'all come to MKE, I'll make some cookies for you guys. Or someone bring a grill and I can grill some stuff. lol

Hey Cam, if you go to a race where I'll be at (so for MKE is the only confirmed) let me know and I'll make you something. :)

~Nicole

anait
11-21-05, 12:21 PM
Mr anait and I share the main dish cooking. We'll make anything. :D I make bread and buns, and do lots of baking for family and friends. Started doing Christmas baking orders a few years ago, really enjoy doing that.

DjDrOmusic
11-21-05, 04:57 PM
Cooking is my hobby, it's what relaxes me! Thanksgiving will be a dream for me, I'm cooking for some Franciscan Friars, 3 turkeys, 2 roasted and one deep fried, lots of stuffing, chicken paprikash, lot's of veggies, a boatload of gravy, and a few other goodies like Hugarian apricot cookies, pumpkin pie and hot cider with cinnamon sticks....eat your heart out Martha Stewart!! :D

dirtyboy
11-21-05, 08:26 PM
I can attest that chop456 is an excellent cook. However, he could never open a restaurant because it takes him three hours to make four sandwiches.

To this day I still am pondering what took you so long.

Anteater
11-21-05, 08:44 PM
My mom always chased me out of the kitchen, so aside from 8th grade Home Ec, I didn't really learn how to cook until I was out on my own. My roommate thought I was pathetic, so she gave me a copy of The I Never Learned To Cook Cookbook. Nowadays, I do OK in the kitchen, but I'll be doing my best work on Thursday. Thankgiving dinner for 7 people, coming right up! :)

pfc_m_drake
11-21-05, 10:21 PM
I'm an excellent cook. I make a great salad.

You take that Dole pre-made bag of salad that you buy in the grocery store, cut it open, pour it in a bowl, grab a bottle of your favorite dressing courtesy of Chez Kraft...it's all good.

Actually I used to do quite a bit of cooking (and baking, for that matter). Not so much anymore though.

Cam
11-21-05, 10:56 PM
Hey Cam, if you go to a race where I'll be at (so for MKE is the only confirmed) let me know and I'll make you something. :)

~Nicole

Nic.... I will hold you to that! :)

G.
11-21-05, 11:55 PM
Just wish I could eat...... :(someone get this guy a doob.

Hope all is well, Cam.

OT, cooking a bird and a pig's butt for Thursday. A hoarde of about 20 or so.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-05, 11:17 AM
I'm not Bobby Flay, but I manage. And it's edible. :)

oddlycalm
11-22-05, 05:37 PM
This site is the last word on smoking meat :D Badabing... :D Bonesmokers crank it up rub (https://asp5.secure-shopping.com/hawgeyes/details.asp?prodid=635261&cat=12000&path=)

TravelGal
11-23-05, 01:45 AM
There's never a superfluous apostrophe around when you want one.

Have you read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?

G.
11-23-05, 12:03 PM
Have you read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?Comments about my family's Thanksgiving traditions should probably go into the Turkey Day topic. :laugh:

Cam
11-23-05, 01:28 PM

What is a wallaby Alex. :D

anait
11-23-05, 02:24 PM

:thumbup:

Andrew Longman
11-23-05, 03:25 PM
I tried to make bread last year, except it wasn't supposed to be flat bread. I could have layed the sidewalk with it.

Years ago my Dad tried to teach me but I still made a few bricks.

My salvation was and still it the Tassajara Bread Book. Written very simply by monks with lots of careful thought put to describing the subtleties of reading the dough. I can't recommend it too strongly. :thumbup:

trish
11-27-05, 12:48 AM
I brought my waffle iron out of the land of unused appliances (3 years) and made homemade waffles today. Took about three hours in all. It probably wouldn't have taken so long if I hadn't used the kitchenaid to mix everything, but I had to make sure it worked. Anyway, the waffles were not the greatest but they did actually look like waffles. I'll try an alternate recipe next weekend and see if it is more to my tastes.

RHR_Fan
11-27-05, 01:50 AM
Since tomorrow is when I usually make breakfast from scratch day I'm thinking of making waffles. I'm tempted to go buy some pumpkin, but I wouldn't use the entire can. Maybe someday I'll go nuts and make pumpkin everything. Maybe I'll chop up some nuts and put some spices in the waffles. I don't know...

~Nicole

Andrew Longman
11-27-05, 12:18 PM
I brought my waffle iron out of the land of unused appliances (3 years) and made homemade waffles today. Took about three hours in all. It probably wouldn't have taken so long if I hadn't used the kitchenaid to mix everything, but I had to make sure it worked. Anyway, the waffles were not the greatest but they did actually look like waffles. I'll try an alternate recipe next weekend and see if it is more to my tastes.

I've been working on perfecting my waffles for a while. I got good enough that my wife bought me two new waffle irons for my birthday so I can crank them out en mass.

According to Alton Brown multiple smaller round irons are better than large square iron because the batter spreads naturally in a circle and the iron heats more evenly.

Here's my recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Mix the wet ingrediens

Mix the dry ingedients

Mix them together

Cook

trish
11-27-05, 12:22 PM
I'll try your recipe next weekend.

oddlycalm
11-27-05, 06:01 PM
According to Alton Brown multiple smaller round irons are better than large square iron because the batter spreads naturally in a circle and the iron heats more evenly. Sure enough, we've got an old square iron that was a wedding gift, and sure enough the waffles are jagged and round unless one uses four smaller blobs of batter in each qaudrant. Terrible design.

AB is one of the best resources on equipment IMO. I've thumbed through his book on equipment and agree with it just about 100%. Wish I had it 25yrs ago... ;)

oc

trish
12-03-05, 03:06 PM
I've been working on perfecting my waffles for a while. I got good enough that my wife bought me two new waffle irons for my birthday so I can crank them out en mass.

According to Alton Brown multiple smaller round irons are better than large square iron because the batter spreads naturally in a circle and the iron heats more evenly.

Here's my recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Mix the wet ingrediens

Mix the dry ingedients

Mix them together

Cook
This is a great recipe. I think I'll keep it as a basic recipe and start adding other items to it. RHR_Fan has some excellent suggestions.

Just one question. If I want to have waffels later, should I just store the batter or pre-make the waffles for heating later?

Andrew Longman
12-03-05, 03:15 PM
This is a great recipe. I think I'll keep it as a basic recipe and start adding other items to it. RHR_Fan has some excellent suggestions.

Just one question. If I want to have waffels later, should I just store the batter or pre-make the waffles for heating later?

I think its better to make them and re-heat in a toaster. The baking powder and soda stop working if left too long.

I lay out extras on a foil sheet right on the rack in the oven. Don't stack them. When I'm sure no one wants more I let them cool and store them in a zip lock in the freezer. The kids usually wipe out the extras during the week.

Glad you like them. I add all sorts of treats. Chopped pecans, berries, chocolate chips, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, whatever. If you like them a little heartier subtitute a cup of whole wheat.

trish
12-03-05, 03:18 PM
The batter was a bit thicker than I thought it would be, but it works. I think I'll add a diced banana and some walnuts to the next batch. Thanks for your help. :)

RHR_Fan
12-03-05, 06:27 PM
The batter was a bit thicker than I thought it would be, but it works. I think I'll add a diced banana and some walnuts to the next batch. Thanks for your help. :)

Diced banana is awesome! :) The past few times I've added diced banana, spices and sprinkled sliced almonds on top - yum! If the batter seems too thick, I'd add some more milk.

To make waffles or anything healthier, I'll use either all wheat flour or half all-purpose, half wheat. I also love using oats in baked goods - if any of you guys love oatmeal, definitely try using oats sometime!

~Nicole

trish
12-03-05, 06:36 PM
I can put oats in the waffles?

RHR_Fan
12-03-05, 08:27 PM
I can put oats in the waffles?

Oh sure! You use half flour, half oats. So if the recipe called for 2 cups of flour, it'd be 1 cup flour and 1 cup oats.

~Nicole

Andrew Longman
12-03-05, 10:38 PM
Oh sure! You use half flour, half oats. So if the recipe called for 2 cups of flour, it'd be 1 cup flour and 1 cup oats.

~Nicole

Absolutely. Though I might not go with a 1:1 ratio. Oats are great and make for a more chewy end product. Test to see how chewy you like. Chewy can become gummy. Depending on the mix I might only do a .5:1 ratio.

trish
12-09-05, 07:29 AM
Anybody got a buttermilk pancake recipe? :)

anait
12-09-05, 11:44 AM
My favourite waffle recipes have the egg whites beaten separately and folded in. Bit more fussy, but I like the crispiness. I also like to experiment with the type of fat used...some make the waffles crispier, some chewier. Our iron was a gift, one of those 'romantic' ones that makes four little heart-shaped waffles at a time. If I put the right amount of batter in the middle, it spreads quite well to the edges when the lid is closed. But sometimes the hearts are a bit lop-sided. :D

trish
12-14-05, 08:47 AM
This is a tasty buttermilk pancake recipe. http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,174,154179-246198,00.html

GRANDMA'S BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

1 c. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk

Barely mix to moisten all dry ingredients; will be lumpy. Fry pancakes on griddle using a small amount of lard or shortening.

Ankf00
12-14-05, 09:57 AM
i swear , after this thread my winter vac is going to be spent tooling in the kitchen, batter dripping down all the walls and my face...

anait
12-14-05, 10:13 AM
...psst...Ank...don't stir the batter so vigorously... :p

RHR_Fan
12-14-05, 10:52 AM
Speaking of cooking, I start my exam in a little over ten minutes! Just have to keep a calm and cool head and *hopefully* all will be well...

~Nicole

tllips
12-14-05, 11:29 AM
Ten minutes before a final and you're surfing OC?? :eek:

You're either really confident.......or really screwed! :D

anait
12-14-05, 12:11 PM
Yup, welcome to the racing forum addicts club. :cool: We're a wacky bunch...

Warlock!
12-14-05, 12:13 PM
...batter dripping down all the walls...
Sounds like a night at my place when the wife and kids are gone.

Stupid DirecTV and it's 3-hour blocks of adult movies...

tllips
12-14-05, 12:19 PM
Last Monday, I had a final in one of my Grad School classes (Corporate Finance), and this one student (she's a high school teacher getting an MBA :thumbup: ) was telling me how she was struggling in the class the week before and could not memorize all the formulas necessary.

Anyway, we get the final and there are a dozen or so questions and then two or three lengthy problems. Just as I am finishing the questions, she gets up, hands in her test and leaves. :eek: I guess she still didn't learn the formulas (I didn't remember all of the ones I needed either) and figured they weren't going to come to her via osmosis, so she just turned in her final and went home. :(

/Hijack off/ Sorry!

dando
12-14-05, 01:12 PM
i swear , after this thread my winter vac is going to be spent tooling in the kitchen, batter dripping down all the walls and my face...
Brown Alton Brown? :gomer: :D

-Kevin

cartman
12-14-05, 03:07 PM
Sure enough, we've got an old square iron that was a wedding gift, and sure enough the waffles are jagged and round unless one uses four smaller blobs of batter in each qaudrant. Terrible design.

AB is one of the best resources on equipment IMO. I've thumbed through his book on equipment and agree with it just about 100%. Wish I had it 25yrs ago... ;)

oc

Alton lives down the street from me, I love that guy. He also shops and films some of his show at the grocery store that we shop at, the glorious Crabapple Kroger. I bump into him quite a bit, the man knows what he's talking about.

RHR_Fan
12-14-05, 03:37 PM
After taking an ID test, I still had about 20-25 minutes before I started. We couldn't even go into the kitchen to prep and what-not until your time so I just surfed the net in the computer lab. I couldn't sit around and do nothing or else I'd go crazy. But I did get through it (thanks partly to me wearing my Andrew Ranger shirt hehe) and I think I got a B. Or that's what I'm hoping for.

~Nicole

dando
12-14-05, 03:49 PM
Alton lives down the street from me, I love that guy. He also shops and films some of his show at the grocery store that we shop at, the glorious Crabapple Kroger. I bump into him quite a bit, the man knows what he's talking about.
Plus, he rides a bike. :thumbup:

-Kevin

trish
12-15-05, 11:12 PM
Wish me luck. I'm attempting to make my very first fruitcake. Yes, I like fruitcake. I hope I chose the right stuff to put in it.

race chica
12-16-05, 02:00 AM
Wish me luck. I'm attempting to make my very first fruitcake. Yes, I like fruitcake. I hope I chose the right stuff to put in it.

Good Luck!

extramundane
12-16-05, 11:44 AM

Use lots of bourbon.

And put some in the cake too.

anait
12-16-05, 12:06 PM

Trish, I have a couple of recipes for fruitcake you might like. One is traditional, with yer multi-coloured fruit, raisins, currants, and lots o' brandy. The other is a 'light' fruitcake, with dried apricots and almonds. Very pretty. And this year I made a Triple Sec slice, which turned out to be very fruitcake-like. If you'd like any of them let me know! :)

trish
12-16-05, 12:34 PM
Good Luck!

Thank you!

Use lots of bourbon.

And put some in the cake too.

I hope Rum will do because that's what I'm using. :)

Trish, I have a couple of recipes for fruitcake you might like. One is traditional, with yer multi-coloured fruit, raisins, currants, and lots o' brandy. The other is a 'light' fruitcake, with dried apricots and almonds. Very pretty. And this year I made a Triple Sec slice, which turned out to be very fruitcake-like. If you'd like any of them let me know! :)
I'd love them! I'm using candied green and red cherries, candied orange peel, and lots of raisins, pecans and walnuts in this one. And Rum.

RHR_Fan
12-16-05, 03:51 PM
Just wanted to let y'all know my exam turned out well. On the ID test, I got 85/100. Better percentage than at the mid-term! And I got an A on my overall cooking exam, which doesn't make sense to me since I made some mistakes but hey, I'm not complaining!

I also made some pancakes and waffles this morning. I made a big batch and froze them so whenever I want some I can just pop them in the toaster or whatever.

~Nicole

trish
12-16-05, 04:10 PM
That's great about your exam. And pancakes sound good. I haven't eaten a thing all day.

trish
09-21-08, 02:21 PM
I'm still not doing too much cooking (although I'm making ice cream again) but I think about it a lot. There is this one thing that bothers me. Should you rinse/wash all meat, poultry, and fish before cooking or not? The USDA says no, that it's unsafe and may cause cross-contamination. I always thoroughly wash poultry or rinse off meat or fish before using. I may even rinse an egg before cracking.

So what do you guys do, rinse or not? And if you do rinse/wash do you have a special method, like brining vs just running under cold water for poultry? If you don't convince me why I shouldn't? And any other safety related food prep tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Methanolandbrats
09-21-08, 03:29 PM
I'm still not doing too much cooking (although I'm making ice cream again) but I think about it a lot. There is this one thing that bothers me. Should you rinse/wash all meat, poultry, and fish before cooking or not? The USDA says no, that it's unsafe and may cause cross-contamination. I always thoroughly wash poultry or rinse off meat or fish before using. I may even rinse an egg before cracking.

So what do you guys do, rinse or not? And if you do rinse/wash do you have a special method, like brining vs just running under cold water for poultry? If you don't convince me why I shouldn't? And any other safety related food prep tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.
No need to rinse. Heat kills the bacteria. Just make sure that you use different utinsels/bowls to serve than you used to prepare/cook the meat and there will be no safety problem. Never prepare any other food where uncooked meat was handled.

G.
09-21-08, 04:14 PM
I rinse and dry poultry, not sure why, except that they tell us to it on the package. Plus it flushes out the innards that the factory missed.

Never for other animals.

Brining is a very separate subject. My luck with brining is not so good, but it turns out, most poultry I buy is pre-brined. So I ended up with chicken jerky. :yuck:

ChampcarShark
09-22-08, 12:22 PM
I'm the breakfast guru at home, but can not cook oatmeal. Go figure.

Potatoes all kind, eggs made to order, coffe and a banana shake for the children.

My wife an I enjoy Huevos Rancheros with Toast.

Andrew Longman
09-22-08, 05:02 PM
I rinse whole chicken and turkey, just to make sure the innards are clear.

Other than that, I just make sure my veggies are washed, especially because I like them raw or lightly cooked.

Pork I will brine. I have a nice apple cider brine I do every Fall. Almost time :D

grungex
09-22-08, 05:38 PM
I'm the breakfast guru at home, but can not cook oatmeal. Go figure.

Take 1/3 cup water, 2/3 cup milk, 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, 1/8 cup maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until it starts to thicken. Ready to eat without any add-ons. For more flavor, add some chopped dates, pecans, and/or raisins to the above. If desired, substitute brown sugar for the maple syrup. Makes one generous serving.

cameraman
09-22-08, 11:42 PM
Take 1/3 cup water, 2/3 cup milk, 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats...

A note on buying oatmeal. Do not get "Quick" oats, get either "Old Fashioned" or for something a little different "steel cut"

ChampcarShark
09-23-08, 10:13 AM
I did not know you have to stir them once in a while.

Thank You guys will try that tomorrow morning to feed the children.