PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed

FRANKY
11-20-05, 03:43 PM
I just installed a program on my computer and it slowed down to almost stopping.

I can't even access the start, I can start it on safe mode, but I don't think I can delete the program from safe mode, I can't get to the control panel to delete the program.

How do I get rid of it?

trish
11-20-05, 03:46 PM
What program did you install?

trish
11-20-05, 03:57 PM
I just installed a program on my computer and it slowed down to almost stopping.

I can't even access the start, I can start it on safe mode, but I don't think I can delete the program from safe mode, I can't get to the control panel to delete the program.

How do I get rid of it?

Usually when you try to reinstall an existing program, it asks you if you want to uninstall it. So just pop the disk back in and see if you get that option.

FRANKY
11-20-05, 04:25 PM
Norton Internet Security Professional.

Putting the disk back in gets me nothing. Can't access anything, in fact the computer slows up so much that when I turn it on the time doesn't change for 5 minutes, then the clock jumps forward. :(

trish
11-20-05, 04:26 PM
Norton Internet Security Professional.

Putting the disk back in gets me nothing. Can't access anything, in fact the computer slows up so much that when I turn it on the time doesn't change for 5 minutes, then the clock jumps forward. :(

Are you in safe mode now?

Cam
11-20-05, 04:29 PM
If you are using xpee..... Roll the O/S back......

FRANKY
11-20-05, 04:32 PM
No I'm not at the computer in question right now, it's at my sister's house, she hooked up with DSL and I told her she needed a firewall and so I helped her hook up the DSL, and then when I did the Norton, it stopped working.

Can I go to restore or delete a program under Safe Mode?

trish
11-20-05, 04:35 PM
No I'm not at the computer in question right now, it's at my sister's house, she hooked up with DSL and I told her she needed a firewall and so I helped her hook up the DSL, and then when I did the Norton, it stopped working.

You might be able to do it. If at all possible, try to get to normal mode and do it there.

Does her DSL not come with a firewall? Norton Internet Security is the worse thing that's happened to me and my 'puter in a long time.

trish
11-20-05, 04:37 PM

You can try a system restore. It may or may not work depending on wether there is a restore point created.

Cam
11-20-05, 04:39 PM

Remove... Yes....

FRANKY
11-20-05, 04:49 PM
I'll give it a shot.

trish
11-20-05, 04:49 PM
Remove... Yes....
That's probably the best thing to do.

KLang
11-20-05, 05:18 PM
If you are running SP2 make sure the new windows firewall is turned off. Was there already another virus scanner installed?

FRANKY
11-20-05, 07:31 PM
If you are running SP2 make sure the new windows firewall is turned off. Was there already another virus scanner installed?

I think there was already one on there and I couldn't detect it. The program wasn't listed, so I don't know who put the dang thing on there.

I tried to delete the the Norton one in safe mode but it won't let me. Going back to system restore a week ago should work shouldn't it? I'm going to give that a try.

Once I do, if I do get this program off I guess I should use the XP Firewall.

trish
11-20-05, 07:56 PM
I think there was already one on there and I couldn't detect it. The program wasn't listed, so I don't know who put the dang thing on there.

I tried to delete the the Norton one in safe mode but it won't let me. Going back to system restore a week ago should work shouldn't it? I'm going to give that a try.

Once I do, if I do get this program off I guess I should use the XP Firewall.

Windows won't load outside of safe mode?

Cam
11-20-05, 07:58 PM
System restore!!!!

Wabbit
11-20-05, 10:58 PM
How much memory is in the machine. If there is 256MB or less, put in more RAM. Nortons eats up RAM baaaad.