PDA

View Full Version : Honda supply full field??

G.
11-18-05, 02:58 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051118/SPORTS01/511180496/1052

Down at the bottom...

Officials from the IRL and Honda met this week in a move to have the engine manufacturer prepared to supply the entire field next season, if necessary. Toyota is losing teams; Chevrolet has withdrawn. . . .

Skater_36
11-18-05, 03:09 PM
They really buried that little tidbit. Kind of a good news bad news situation for the IRL and Honda. The IRL is losing cars so there won't be as many for Honda to supply. ;)

KLang
11-18-05, 03:12 PM
Wonder what happens if Honda says 'Sorry can't provide the whole field for 2006'? :D

33 is just a number....... So is 15.

Gnam
11-18-05, 03:58 PM
I don't know how many miles a current Honda engine lasts, but they could always detune them and lengthen their life span. That might cut down on the number of spares they'd have to make. Still if push comes to shove FTG will use any engine.

KLang
11-18-05, 04:00 PM
Still if push comes to shove FTG will use any engine.

I'm sure KK would lease them some Cosworths. :laugh:

Skater_36
11-18-05, 04:02 PM
If Honda balks, look for the engine badging requirement to go out the window and that in turn will convince Honda to take a walk.

dando
11-18-05, 04:07 PM
Oh, I can hear the fiddling now. Nero, is that you? :gomer: :D Grab a weenie, kids, the fire is just getting started! :cool:

-Kevin

FTG
11-18-05, 05:19 PM
that in turn will convince Honda to take a walk.

IMO, the only reason they are there in 06, is because they couldn't get into NASCAR in 06. If rumors are to be believed, they're already working on their NASCAR engines. It won't be long.

IlliniRacer
11-18-05, 05:50 PM
....but....but.....but.....this can't be. I thought every manufacturer and company on God's green earth are clamoring to be at Indy? :confused:

You mean it's NOT all about Indy :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
11-18-05, 09:22 PM
They better be glad Porsche and BMW have their IRRL(irrelevant road racing leeg) engines about ready :laugh: :rofl:

Mr. Toad
11-18-05, 11:17 PM
I don't know how many miles a current Honda engine lasts, but they could always detune them and lengthen their life span. That might cut down on the number of spares they'd have to make. Still if push comes to shove FTG will use any engine.

http://www.darwinvets.plus.com/images/topical/hamsters/hamster2.jpg

NismoZ
11-19-05, 12:23 AM
Supposedly The League is considering the purchase of the wing of Toyota that presently makes HRL engines. Don't know how this fits with the Penske/Ilmor buyin, if they would be badged, or what they might be called. Maybe TRD, Tony's Racing Development. I saw a list that suggested at present only 13 cars seemed certain for '06. A condensed schedule apparently requires a condensed grid.

SurfaceUnits
11-19-05, 12:58 AM
Supposedly The League is considering the purchase of the wing of Toyota that presently makes HRL engines. Don't know how this fits with the Penske/Ilmor buyin, if they would be badged, or what they might be called. Maybe TRD, Tony's Racing Development. I saw a list that suggested at present only 13 cars seemed certain for '06. A condensed schedule apparently requires a condensed grid.13's just a number and so is 06.

trish
11-19-05, 11:00 PM
Looks like this might actually happen. Will Honda really stick around for the next 4 years all by themselves?

DjDrOmusic
11-19-05, 11:09 PM
Looks like this might actually happen. Will Honda really stick around for the next 4 years all by themselves?

As someone told me, if you have a friend who only has 2 months to live, you'll say encouraging things like, "next year when we go to opening day" just to keep your spirits up and theirs. Honda is sitting at the bedside of a terminally ill patient right now!

Skater_36
11-20-05, 09:35 AM

Honda "might" stick around for 4 years if teams are willing to buy engines and allow them to make a profit. The question is will teams that were being given checks by Honda and Toyota be able to stick around now that those checks will be going away? I think you've got a better chance of Honda sticking around than you do of those teams doing the same. ;)

Andrew Longman
11-20-05, 12:18 PM
Honda "might" stick around for 4 years if teams are willing to buy engines and allow them to make a profit. The question is will teams that were being given checks by Honda and Toyota be able to stick around now that those checks will be going away? I think you've got a better chance of Honda sticking around than you do of those teams doing the same. ;)

I think that's exactly right. Unless the entire economic model of the IRL changes teams will not be able to afford to compete. Without yen and free engines, the existing sponsorship market (and prize money) will not fund the chassis and driver budgets at current levels.

Honda could detune the engine to get more life out of it and otherwise make it cheaper. That would help some. But it won't cover salaries that many of the current drivers expect. And it won't make money for owners matching current expectations.

NismoZ
11-20-05, 12:45 PM
I think The League has to buy their own engine facility. That path has already been illiminated for them, like so many others previously.

pchall
11-20-05, 01:07 PM
I think The League has to buy their own engine facility. That path has already been illiminated for them, like so many others previously.

I doubt that TRD (or even their current IRL project and inventory) would be for sale. Penske won't give up the unfair advantage Ilmor can give him. Mechachrome wouldn't be for sale either.

What does that leave? Menard and the bits of TWR's engine department he acquired? Joe's Garage? ;)

NismoZ
11-20-05, 01:33 PM
Hmmm... Super Aguri/Fernandez is now being rumored in...with Hondas. That makes a possible 15!

oddlycalm
11-20-05, 04:25 PM
I think The League has to buy their own engine facility. That path has already been illiminated for them, like so many others previously. And yet I can't imagine this ever happening. Too logical, and too ambitious.

oc

G.
11-20-05, 04:40 PM
And yet I can't imagine this ever happening.

ocWhy not? It would just be another case of the earl copying what KK does.

High Sided
11-20-05, 05:14 PM
What does that leave? Menard and the bits of TWR's engine department he acquired? Joe's Garage? ;)

since Menard is selling his engine department to Honda for the F1 program that leaves um nothing, right?:gomer:

trauma1
11-22-05, 10:41 AM
mechachrome but some idiot would have to badge the thing :shakehead

SurfaceUnits
11-22-05, 10:58 AM
What do the gomerati think of the Honda Element as the official pace vehicle of the indy 5hunnert. It is a "condensed" vehicle, in line with the leeg's new direction of condensation. :laugh:

JLMannin
11-22-05, 12:02 PM
Is Judd engines still around?

Skater_36
11-22-05, 02:41 PM
Is Judd engines still around?

Alive and kicking.

http://www.engdev.com/