PDA

View Full Version : No Indy in 2006 for NHass

G.
11-16-05, 02:36 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9851

Will you be back at the Indianapolis 500 in 2006? "No. We won't do that next year. Newman/Haas had a bit of a sore souvenir at Indy this year, plus the Champ Car schedule won't allow us to do that."

Interview with Seebass at school.

KLang
11-16-05, 03:36 PM
Great news. :thumbup:

Perhaps Carl is finally cured of indyitis?

extramundane
11-16-05, 05:06 PM
Clearly, this just means Carl Haas is breaking away from Newman and taking Lola to the IRL.

nissan gtp
11-16-05, 05:15 PM
good news ! :thumbup:

skaven
11-16-05, 05:32 PM
Clearly, this just means Carl Haas is breaking away from Newman and taking Lola to the IRL.

:rofl: Very nice.

Ed_Severson
11-16-05, 08:23 PM
That was a good read ... thanks to John Oreovicz for writing that article.

I was at the Q & A with Sebastien, and was very impressed with him. I had met him a couple times previously at the track -- this was a much better experience. He was very personable and did a great job addressing the questions posed to him. He was especially patient with the two or three questions asked by people who have obviously never seen a race of any sort before.

I got the chance to talk to him on my own for a few minutes afterwards. I was a little surprised at his frankness about his feelings regarding the Indy situation. A lot has been made of he and Bruno not having such a great relationship, especially near the end of last season where they had an incident or two and were racing each other for the championship, but he was obviously pretty shaken up by what happened to Bruno. He seemed pretty genuine in his relief that Bruno is ultimately OK and will be back with Newman/Haas next year.

I told him that I was very glad to hear they weren't going to be back at Indianapolis, and without saying so out loud, it was clear that he's happy about it too. He also said one of the things I repeatedly tell my wife ... "they're lucky they haven't killed anybody ... yet." And, he seemed pretty torn up about the situation with Road America not being on the schedule.

Overall, a big :thumbup: for Sebastien. He's definitely a worthy champion, and could not have been any more accommodating yesterday.

Winston Wolfe
11-16-05, 09:10 PM
ahhhh, Dude...

Tony Renna is a driver who was killed at the very same track, driving in one of the very same crapwagons...

Ed_Severson
11-16-05, 09:15 PM
Yes, but the comment is directed more at the style of racing than the cars themselves. I don't disagree that the cars are inherently dangerous in some way, but what seems insane to me is to bunch them up and run a NASCAR-style race with them, which is what Bourdais was getting at as well.

JLMannin
11-16-05, 11:25 PM
That "sore souvenir" are those 14" rods holding Bruno's spine together. Is Bruno going to race again, or was that a career ending injury?

Ed_Severson
11-16-05, 11:37 PM
Bruno is fine. Sebastien said he was physically able to race in Mexico City, but the team decided that they didn't have enough time to put together a 3rd car for that race, and they wanted to give Oriol a shot at wrapping up 2nd place in the championship.

Bruno will be testing at Sebring in a week or two ... he's ready to go. :thumbup:

G.
11-17-05, 12:25 AM
Ed, thank you. Really, a wonderful contributions to the topic. :thumbup:

Anything more to add about SB conversations, I'll read 'em!

Wally
11-17-05, 12:29 PM

Don't say you didn't read it here first people....... :shakehead

mueber
11-17-05, 01:31 PM
I’d love to be able to believe that Carl Haas has finally seen that he was doing damage to Champ Car and open wheel by propping up the Gomerville 500, but I know that had nothing to do with it. But, the result is the same. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
11-17-05, 01:58 PM
Do we start trying to figure out how they will get to 33 now?

Given the "condensed" team/car counts over there, wthout CCWS team help, it seems an impossibility.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-17-05, 02:53 PM
All I know is this topic is worth two threads and three pages each over at the CF. Defender claims no one cares. Well I guess he's wrong.

JohnHKart
11-17-05, 09:38 PM
As dangerous as the IRL is in the nearly ten years since the split, it's always amazed me that more people died in Champ Cars..wish it was zero in both series.

John

JLMannin
11-18-05, 12:04 AM
Ed, I'm very glad to hear that Bruno is cleared to drive.

Methanolandbrats
11-18-05, 12:24 AM
As dangerous as the IRL is in the nearly ten years since the split, it's always amazed me that more people died in Champ Cars..wish it was zero in both series.

JohnFLuke. Look at total injury rates.

JohnHKart
11-19-05, 07:35 AM
FLuke. Look at total injury rates.

Agreed....that's where the IRL surpasses all racing series. It's only sheer, incredible, mindblowing luck they haven't killed people like Formula One from 1968-1978.

John