PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Roger Edmundson

Sean O'Gorman
11-15-05, 10:12 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/20785/

Some good stuff in there, interesting read for ALMS fans too.

I think this statement here sums up my support of Grand-Am pretty thoroughly:

I’ve said many times, we’re not interested in lap times; we’re not interested in lap speeds; we’re interested in margin of victory. Our cars are going fast enough. The only question is: can I drive mine faster than you can? That’s all we’re here to find out.

Drop the flag. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
11-15-05, 10:14 PM
Not interested in lap times or lap speeds? Why not just race lawnmowers? The margin of victory is always close with the turf warriors. ;)

Dr. Corkski
11-16-05, 02:01 AM
Pity reply.

Skater_36
11-16-05, 08:29 AM
Interesting that Edmonson thinks Porsche entering ALMS is a bad thing. I guess he's just towing the company line.

Somebody should thank the France family for all of their helpful advice by creating a breakaway stock car racing series. ;)

Accipiter
11-16-05, 10:54 AM
I think it's time for him to outgrow his us vs. them attitude.

extramundane
11-16-05, 11:36 AM
Interesting that Edmonson thinks Porsche entering ALMS is a bad thing. I guess he's just towing the company line.

Didn't you know that Porsche doesn't connect with the common American?

Easy
11-16-05, 12:30 PM
Dallara Sux

RusH
11-16-05, 01:10 PM
Here are the investors he refers too;

• Skip Barber
• Tom Bledsoe
• Paul Brooks
• Bray Cary
• Gary Crotty
• Robert Dyson
• Roger Edmondson
• Brian France
• Jim France
• Bill France
• Chris Harris
• Mike Helton
• Lesa Kennedy
• Raymond Mason
• Bruce Mosley
• Glenn Padgett
• Greg Penske
• Roger Penske
• George Pyne
• John Saunders
• Susan Schandel
• George Silbermann
• Bob Snodgrass
• Dave Watson
• Todd Wilson

I guess the biggest difference in the two models if you look at the two most easily recognized road racing organizations . . . in the American Le Mans Series there is, I believe, a “Field of Dreams” – “build this and they will come” attitude; and a willingness to go out and make investments in full-page adds or eight-page inserts in USAToday and all of the things that a successful big-time series will have, believing heat and light will attract people. And that concept is certainly a valid concept.
Ours was different. Our concept was, “Let’s build exciting racing and bring people in one at a time.” The difference is, we can do ours as long as it takes. It remains to be seen how long people are willing to write the big checks to do the other thing until it catches on

Sounds somewhat like an Australian we know.

coolhand
11-16-05, 01:27 PM
how is the porche any different then what audi has done the past 6 years?

the sport seemed to survive

FCYTravis
11-16-05, 02:00 PM
Sure, the ALMS survived. With four-car P1 grids. Surviving isn't thriving.

Roger isn't saying anything that many ALMS fans haven't been thinking. What happens if the Porsche pulls an Audi on the *privateer* P2 field? P2 was a class that was actually growing in fits and starts... if Porsche mops up the field that growth trend is going to reverse in a hurry.

Oh yeah... Wasn't P2 supposed to be the "privateer playground" class, where all those DP teams should come over and run and be competitive on their privateer budgets, without having to compete against the big-funded factory P1 boys?

Woops. Guess that didn't work out so hot.

Gnam
11-16-05, 02:30 PM
Audi wouldn't sell anyone an R8 though. If Porsche starts selling their P2's won't that attract more privateers?

chop456
11-16-05, 02:44 PM

Roger isn't saying anything that many ALMS fans haven't been thinking. What happens if the Porsche pulls an Audi on the *privateer* P2 field? P2 was a class that was actually growing in fits and starts... if Porsche mops up the field that growth trend is going to reverse in a hurry.

Oh yeah... Wasn't P2 supposed to be the "privateer playground" class, where all those DP teams should come over and run and be competitive on their privateer budgets, without having to compete against the big-funded factory P1 boys?

The whole point of the Porsche is to be a customer car, and from what I've heard, they're already being ordered. The current P2 field would be better if it were all RS Spyders.

Thriving? When more people show up to a Grand Am race than to my 4th of July BBQ, I'll be worried.

Sebring - packed
Petit Le Mans - packed
Rolex 24 - :crickets:

For all the cheerleading by the few of you, keep in mind you're outnumbered by about 7 to 1 - about the same ratio as most events. ;) Maybe you're the only ones who really understand racing. If it weren't for the Frances being behind it, Grand Am wouldn't even warrant a replay Tuesdays at 3AM. Unless you're on a team - NO ONE CARES! If I feel the need to watch a series that's "all about the competitors budgets", I'll go to watch the PCA lap at Road America.

Blech.

Skater_36
11-16-05, 03:02 PM
The whole point of the Porsche is to be a customer car, and from what I've heard, they're already being ordered. The current P2 field would be better if it were all RS Spyders.

Thriving? When more people show up to a Grand Am race than to my 4th of July BBQ, I'll be worried.

Sebring - packed
Petit Le Mans - packed

For all the cheerleading by the few of you, keep in mind you're outnumbered by about 7 to 1 - about the same ratio as most events. ;) Maybe you're the only ones who really understand racing. If it weren't for the Frances being behind it, Grand Am wouldn't even warrant a replay Tuesdays at 3AM. Unless you're on a team - NO ONE CARES! If I feel the need to watch a series that's "all about the competitors budgets", I'll go to watch the PCA lap at Road America.

Blech.

You are absolutely correct. Remember the large fields of 956/962's? Privateers were on equal footing with the factory teams and the competition was great. The same thing will happen with the Spyder RS and privateers will be able to give the Audi R9 some serious competition.

NismoZ
11-16-05, 03:13 PM
The "customer car" entry is a valid argument, but will Team Penske be just another customer? I can hear the howling already!

Gnam
11-16-05, 03:14 PM
Why not just race lawnmowers?
I can see the resembalance...

It's flat and low in front, then sort of bumpy and high in the middle, with a silly wing out back.

http://www.fortworthgov.org/DEM/images/mower_smokin.gifhttp://web.infoave.net/~dws44/GARS200544DoranPontiac1.jpg

Skater_36
11-16-05, 03:37 PM
The "customer car" entry is a valid argument, but will Team Penske be just another customer? I can hear the howling already!

Look at the 934/935's then the 962's that were sold by the dozens. If history is any kind of indicator Porsche supplies the cars and the teams are free to develop them. I don't remember any teams getting special cars.

coolhand
11-16-05, 03:50 PM

Porsche will be selling their P2s and then move to P1, key difference that you did not let get in the way of your grand am cheerleading

coolhand
11-16-05, 03:51 PM

Sebring - packed
Petit Le Mans - packed

Blech.

lol :thumbup: good post

coolhand
11-16-05, 03:54 PM
anyone remmeber the Urkle mobile
http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/cars22.jpg
http://www.fresh99.com/images/steveurkelscar/iz2003-03.jpg http://www.fresh99.com/images/steveurkelscar/iz2003-04.jpg

extramundane
11-16-05, 05:01 PM

Will it, or will everyone just buy a Porsche? Unlike Audi, anyone with the cash to buy a Porsche will be able to. Of course, the privateer, Field-driven Intersport Lola was only a tick behind the Factory, Luhr/Maasen-driven Porsche, so perhaps this "The Porsche will bury everyone!" stuff is a little premature.

Did the overwhelming success of the Riley DP, compared to the "class starters" Fabcar, Doran & Multimatic, stop that class from growing?

extramundane
11-16-05, 05:03 PM
I can see the resembalance...

It's flat and low in front, then sort of bumpy and high in the middle, with a silly wing out back.

http://www.fortworthgov.org/DEM/images/mower_smokin.gifhttp://web.infoave.net/~dws44/GARS200544DoranPontiac1.jpg

Big difference though: the one on the left can actually win without Acts of God assisting. And it has better tires.

pchall
11-16-05, 08:31 PM
anyone remmeber the Urkle mobile

Yes, and Grand Am cars make Isettas look good.

NismoZ
11-16-05, 10:03 PM
Dhem Fokkers weren't Isettas, dhey was Messerschmidts! :mad:

coolhand
11-17-05, 07:29 PM
Multimatic in the "dying" ALMS series :thumbup:

In a move that will enhance the development and future performance of its race cars, Panoz Motor Sports has announced that Multimatic Motorsports will field the factory's pair of Panoz Esperante GTLMs in the 2006 American Le Mans Series. The Multimatic Motorsports Team Panoz effort will compete in the full 10-race American Le Mans Series season.

In just its third season of competition, the Panoz Esperante GTLM showed tremendous potential. It scored an historic GT2 class victory at the Grand Prix of Atlanta as it beat Porsche, the world standard when it comes to GT2 sports car racing. The two-car Panoz effort also posted two podium finishes, including a second-place effort in the American Le Mans Series' season finale at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and six top-five GT2 finishes during the 2005 campaign.

In Multimatic, Panoz Motor Sports gets a proven partner with a long history of success in professional sports car racing. The Toronto-based operation campaigned the Mugen-powered Panoz LMP07 in 2002 and most recently won the Grand-Am Cup championship with a Ford Mustang. Multimatic has been an active technical partner with Elan Motorsports Technologies (EMT), the constructor of the Panoz Esperante GTLM race car, in providing engineering support and a comprehensive damper (shock absorber) program.

Multimatic Motorsports is the second team to take delivery of Panoz Esperante GTLM race cars for competition in 2006. Team LNT, a top-level European racing organization, will field a pair of the cars in the Le Mans Endurance Series and potentially other sports car championships in Europe, with factory support coming from EMT.

"The combination of Team LNT in Europe and now Multimatic in North America places the Panoz brand in very capable hands, both on and off the race track," said Dr. Don Panoz, the founder of the American Le Mans Series and principal behind the Panoz Esperante GTLM racing efforts.

"We are very pleased to be affiliated with these world-class organizations and expect outstanding results from both efforts in 2006 and hopefully for many seasons to come," added Panoz.

Multimatic Motorsports Team Panoz will debut at the 54th annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in March, the first round of the 2006 American Le Mans Series.

"The idea here was to create an independent entity to run the factory GT2 race effort," explained Larry Holt, vice president and motorsports technical director of Multimatic. "This is the organizational methodology utilized by most car manufacturers involved in racing, and so Don and Danny Panoz felt it was time to take the same approach."

EMT will continue to develop the Panoz Esperante GTLM race cars, provide track-side technical assistance, spare parts service and a comprehensive engine development program for both Team LNT and Multimatic Motorsports. The company also will be busy with the continuing construction and servicing of the Panoz IRL chassis, the Star Mazda race car and the Formula SCCA spec racer.

"I foresee us having a cooperative arrangement with LNT's two-car effort in Europe, except for when we are competing against each other," Holt said.

"All technical development will continue to be led and coordinated by EMT, assuring that customers get the latest technical advancements from the race track," he added. "From this perspective not much will change; it is only the at-track running of the cars that is being passed to us, and even there I am trying to bring as many of the old Panoz Motor Sports staff into the fold because of their experience and expertise. Unfortunately somebody told them about the Canadian winters, so I won't be getting all of them."

In addition, EMT soon will begin work on the new Panoz DP01 Champ Car chassis, which will debut in 2007.

All efforts are certain to increase the awareness and profile of the Panoz Esperante race and road cars, Elan Motorsports Technologies and the overall Panoz brand around the world.

"Virtually every road car manufacturer competing in the American Le Mans Series has aligned itself with a professional racing company to administrate their racing efforts," said Scott Atherton, president and CEO of Panoz Motor Sports Group, the parent company of the American Le Mans Series. "General Motors working with Pratt & Miller, Audi with Joest and Champion Racing, Porsche with Alex Job and Penske Motorsports, and Aston Martin with Prodrive are all examples of such successful arrangements. By making this move we believe Panoz confirms a similar arrangement with Multimatic. We view this as confirmation of another very strong GT2 effort for 2006 and we look forward to seeing the results of this collaboration on-track."

FCYTravis
11-18-05, 02:44 PM
Yes, after their underwhelming and dare I say it, but horribly ugly, DP design generated exactly zero interest.

Sean O'Gorman
11-18-05, 03:33 PM
Yes, after their underwhelming and dare I say it, but horribly ugly, DP design generated exactly zero interest.

But, but, but, I thought Daytona Prototypes were all spec cars and there was no innovation or difference between any of the vehicles? :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

extramundane
11-18-05, 03:53 PM
But, but, but, I thought Daytona Prototypes were all spec cars and there was no innovation or difference between any of the vehicles? :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

Even I never used the "s" word (well, not that "s" word, anyway) with regards to them. Anyone who calls them "spec" with "no differences between them" is just as ignorant as the person who thinks the Picchio is an attractive car.

I'd hesitate to use the words "innovation" and "Daytona Prototype" in the same sentence.

FCYTravis
11-18-05, 04:11 PM
They are an innovation in the world of funny-looking carbon-fiber-steel-tube prototype thingies.

:gomer: ;)