PDA

View Full Version : Porsches in Grand-Am, four new DPs

cameraman
11-14-05, 04:47 PM
SpeedTV tome (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/20760/)

They look better than the standard prototype (not a high standard but still...)
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/88327_por.jpg

As a culmination of a year-long development program, Porsche Motorsport North American has announced that four new Daytona Prototypes will be using a Porsche six-cylinder, 3.8-liter engine in the 2006 Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series, beginning with the Rolex 24 At Daytona in January.

SteveH
11-14-05, 05:34 PM
antidote

http://www.speedtv.com./_assets/library/img/large/84817_100019.jpg

mapguy
11-14-05, 05:44 PM
Thank you, Steve.

nissan gtp
11-14-05, 09:37 PM
Thank you, Steve.

yep :thumbup:

and it looked even better in white :D

Sean O'Gorman
11-14-05, 09:41 PM
http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT/Photos/Gallery/2005/092405WGIr800-12.jpg

Stick to the subject, ladies. :D

Methanolandbrats
11-14-05, 10:05 PM
Stick to the subject, ladies. :DAnd what would the "subject" be?

Al Czervik
11-14-05, 10:05 PM
Nevermind...

nissan gtp
11-14-05, 10:08 PM

^ you can tell it's a real portch from the headlights :laugh:

sportscars for :gomer:

coolhand
11-14-05, 10:12 PM

those are cute decal headlights that are the only attempt to make that thing a porche

FCYTravis
11-14-05, 10:58 PM
Note that one of those new DPs is from ALMS team Alex Job Racing. Will be interesting to see if they continue to run 911s in ALMS GT.

coolhand
11-14-05, 10:59 PM
It will be interesting to see if Red Bull staying in Grand-AM

BobN
11-14-05, 11:03 PM
Note that one of those new DPs is from ALMS team Alex Job Racing. Will be interesting to see if they continue to run 911s in ALMS GT.

Expect one GT2 car from AJR in 2006 and then on to the RS Spyder in 2007.

Roger E seems a bit confused on where he stands regarding Porsche's importance.

Interesting quotes by RogerE:

"We are delighted that Porsche has expanded its commitment to the Rolex Sports Car Series for 2006," said Grand American Road Racing Association President Roger Edmondson. The Porsche name is synonymous with world class sports car racing, and we fully expect that Porsche will further strengthen a Daytona Prototype category that is already extremely competitive.

From his Jan 5th interview:

"That's one of the things we are so proud of with our new GT rules and no criticism of Ferrari and Porsche, because they have always been there to support GT racing. But unfortunately those two brands, while they may be exotic, don't connect with the American audience."

So which position is the real one?

extramundane

They will. At least 1, plus a handful of GT3 Cup Challenge cars.

racer2c
Strange era of racing indeed.

Methanolandbrats
11-14-05, 11:08 PM
Strange era of racing indeed.We are at an inflection point. Upswing from here. 2012 will be bitching. There is a 20 year cycle in racing. 72, 92, 2012.......... :countdown to O'Gorman telling me I'm full of ****: 3, 2, 1.............

nrc
11-14-05, 11:25 PM
Does this mean anything other than that Porsche is happy to sell racing engines to teams that want to buy them?

FCYTravis
11-14-05, 11:28 PM
Those quotes aren't contradictory, Bob.

Porsche is synonymous with world-class sports car racing. But Porsche also doesn't connect with the vast majority of Americans, if you're trying to build a new fanbase outside the traditional sports car niche, which is what Grand-Am is doing.

racer2c
11-14-05, 11:30 PM
We are at an inflection point. Upswing from here. 2012 will be bitching. There is a 20 year cycle in racing. 72, 92, 2012.......... :countdown to O'Gorman telling me I'm full of ****: 3, 2, 1.............

You are 100% correct. The 70's brought us turbine Indy cars, six wheel F1 cars, Eddie Cheever. :thumbup:

FCYTravis
11-14-05, 11:31 PM
nrc, it's a step-up of Porsche's efforts. Previously, PMNA was not really involved in the Brumos program - now they're providing technical assistance, wind tunnel time, trackside support, etc. - along with an entirely new engine. It's not factory backing, but it's not just a customer relationship.

I think this is a case of Grand-Am benefiting from Porsche's refocusing on motorsports in America in general. It's not a factory LMP2, but it's something ;)

coolhand
11-14-05, 11:33 PM
"...Porsche does not connect with a vast majority of americans..." :rofl: :rofl:

what a crock of :rofl: bull. Porsche are legendary and people would gobble them up if they could afford one.

But with people who can they are hot, look at what car young investment bankers and such get. Also look at how popular that phoney porsche boxer is with yuppy males who cannot afford a 911 and how popular it wis with the trophy wives.

Methanolandbrats
11-14-05, 11:56 PM
You are 100% correct. The 70's brought us turbine Indy cars, six wheel F1 cars, Eddie Cheever. :thumbup:Early 70s=CanAm
Early 90s=GTP and CART....dat's how ya spell pinicle or however you spell it :thumbup:

BobN
11-15-05, 12:14 AM
Those quotes aren't contradictory, Bob.

Porsche is synonymous with world-class sports car racing. But Porsche also doesn't connect with the vast majority of Americans, if you're trying to build a new fanbase outside the traditional sports car niche, which is what Grand-Am is doing.

Okay Travis, I get it. Grand-am is not world class. Why do they have such glee about an association to a company that is synonymous with world class if that is not what they are striving for? You would think that they wouldn't make such a big deal out the Porsche news if it doesn't connect with the fans they are trying to reach.

In my opinion it is just hypocrisy on RogerE's part. I'll bet they are thrilled beyond beleif that Porsche (PMNA) is showing any interest in their series after the headlight decal fiasco.

Accipiter
11-15-05, 11:03 AM
Only the Job Crawford with factory drivers is an interesting development. You can't take the other teams still running Doran and Brumos chassis very seriously no matter how much better the engine may be.

Easy
11-15-05, 12:05 PM
The Porsche name is synonymous with world class sports car racing,

From his Jan 5th interview:

"That's one of the things we are so proud of with our new GT rules and no criticism of Ferrari and Porsche, because they have always been there to support GT racing. But unfortunately those two brands, while they may be exotic, don't connect with the American audience."

So which position is the real one?

He runs a racing series, the real position is whatever suits their best interest at a given moment. See George, Tony; Fantasies, ChampCar

extramundane
11-15-05, 12:53 PM
Only the Job Crawford with factory drivers is an interesting development. You can't take the other teams still running Doran and Brumos chassis very seriously no matter how much better the engine may be.

Job won't have the only Porsche-Crawford. In fact, I'd bet that Job doesn't even have the best performing Porsche-Crawford.

Accipiter
11-16-05, 10:43 AM
Well, as long as they have pro drivers, I'll any Crawford or R&S Porsche seriously.

pchall
11-16-05, 11:40 AM
^ you can tell it's a real portch from the headlights :laugh:

sportscars for :gomer:

Shouldn't there be a refridgerator on the hood, too?