PDA

View Full Version : Do you know this guy Ank?

coolhand
11-13-05, 04:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/mailbag/index.html

The last two weeks, Reggie Bush has rushed for 51 yards and one touchdown, and 97 yards and no TDs. He had two catches for 18 yards, and four catches for 40 yards with no TDs. He had one punt return for a touchdown. Can you explain why he's a Heisman candidate? His rushing yardage isn't great, his receiving yardage isn't great, he's ranked 36th in punt returns and 98th in kick returns. It seems to me that he's just been average-to-good all around, not Heisman quality. Or is "exciting" all that is necessary to be a Heisman winner?
--Mark Stover, Austin, Texas

Is that the best support you guys can muster for VY?

love the response

Notice the address. We can only assume Mark is "dirty campaigning" on behalf of his man Vince Young, which is understandable. Young and Bush are pretty much considered to be in a dead heat. Fortunately, the last time I checked, this wasn't fantasy football, and Heisman voters (at least we hope) actually watch the players in action rather than fixating on their stats. And no one who saw Bush hurdle that guy against Notre Dame, run past Arizona State and Oregon defenders like they were standing still or pull off that ridiculous punt return against Washington would sanely call him "average to good."

If I wanted to make a similar argument against Young, I could point out that he has a lower completion percentage than UAB's Darrell Hackney, that he trails BYU's John Beck in total offense, and, therefore, is "average to good" at best. Fortunately for Young, though, I've watched him play.

Sean O'Gorman
11-13-05, 04:08 PM
Don't get him started, I got like 35 IMs yesterday on why Vince Young is so great. :laugh:

Ankf00
11-13-05, 04:11 PM
Don't get him started, I got like 35 IMs yesterday on why Vince Young is so great. :laugh:

I want the Browns to draft VY.

that Stover guy sounds like one smart dude. :gomer:

Reggie Bush: 17 carries, 82 yards and one catch for four yards vs. Cal.

2 total touchdowns in the past four weeks...

not exactly the stuff of epic Heisman campaigns :)

coolhand
11-13-05, 04:27 PM
that Stover guy sounds like one smart dude. :gomer:

Reggie Bush: 17 carries, 82 yards and one catch for four yards vs. Cal.

2 total touchdowns in the past four weeks...

not exactly the stuff of epic Heisman campaigns :)

Sorry, I guess Pete carol could have given him the ball EVERY PLAY like texas does for VY so that his stats would be up their for his heisman candiacy.

but good thing they look beyond stats.

weak argument mark....um i mean ank, very weak

Ankf00
11-13-05, 04:48 PM
I guess Pete carol could have given him the ball EVERY PLAY like texas does for VY so that his stats would be up their for his heisman candiacy.
Apparently you're unaware of the function of a quarterback in this American sport known as "football" :)

RB's are measured by 100 games, and TD's. How silly that people expect to see production from a player. :laugh: The black helicopters are coming... :)

coolhand
11-13-05, 04:59 PM
Apparently you're unaware of the function of a quarterback in this American sport known as "football" :)

RB's are measured by 100 games, and TD's. How silly that people expect to see production from a player. :laugh: The black helicopters are coming... :)

you are a quick learner, that was the point i was trying to make, How can you knock Reggies stats when the plays are out of his controll???????

Its not Reggie's fault that the cobination of him White, Leinert, and Jarret put the game away in the first half, and he only gets a half a doezen carries in the second half until the scrubs get in. yards per carry would be a better thing to look at.

reggie bush 8 ypc 11 yards per catch
vince young 6 ypc (he does not reviece the ball, reggie does ;) )

coolhand
11-13-05, 05:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2222397

"2004 Heisman winner quietly improves in 2005"