PDA

View Full Version : Kalkhoven on Windbag Tonight

nrc
11-13-05, 02:30 PM
Kevin Kalkhoven is scheduled to co-host Windbag tonight. Everyone please call and tell him how he should spend his money. :D

Oh, and tell him to forget standing starts.

NismoZ
11-13-05, 02:35 PM
Except at appropriate tracks! Diversity! :p

formulaben
11-13-05, 06:22 PM
Oh, and tell him to forget standing starts.

Why? I can think of many more reasons FOR rather than AGAINST. Anyone who wasted 10 minutes of their life at Portland 2002 will agree...(thanks to Kenny Brack; 4th time is a charm. :shakehead )

Sean O'Gorman
11-13-05, 07:13 PM
Why? I can think of many more reasons FOR rather than AGAINST. Anyone who wasted 10 minutes of their life at Portland 2002 will agree...(thanks to Kenny Brack; 4th time is a charm. :shakehead )

That was 2002, when traction control and the oval aero packages and too much horsepower made it impossible for the cars to pass on course. It seemed like if you couldn't get it done at the start, you'd never pass a car.

Things are pretty different now outside of the pretend race tracks like San Jose and Monterrey.

RHR_Fan
11-13-05, 07:22 PM
If I could think of a good and intelligent question, I'd call in and ask it. Maybe I'll call and beg him to make sure RHR has a ride next season...(y'all know I wouldn't do that).

~Nicole

coolhand
11-13-05, 07:22 PM
That was 2002, when traction control and the oval aero packages and too much horsepower made it impossible for the cars to pass on course. It seemed like if you couldn't get it done at the start, you'd never pass a car.

Things are pretty different now outside of the pretend race tracks like San Jose and Monterrey.

whats your complaint about Monterrey? no passing?

nrc
11-13-05, 07:33 PM

That's a problem with officiating. Champ car has been doing rolling starts for decades. They only became a problem with the officials lost the respect of the participants.

I don't buy the notion that rolling starts are any more incident-prone than standing starts.

formulaben
11-13-05, 07:47 PM
I'm not talking incidents so much as I'm talking about yellow-flag starts and the penalty involved in starting behind the slackers who can't keep their car on the bumper of the participant in front of them. Just look at the last race: if I didn't know better, it was a staggered start by 2 groups of cars. The strung-out field and aborted starts just get tedious. Having said that, F1 has its fair share of aborted starts, but most of that is due to the silly start sequences that the modern F1 engines have, but I'll take the excitement of the standing start over the roling start any day. I'm all for standing starts at select tracks because it would highlight driver skill involved in the start.

formulaben
11-13-05, 07:53 PM
Champ car has been doing rolling starts for decades.

The question is WHY? As far as I can tell, it was a safety enchancement due to oval racing. For the "new" Champ Car, doing rolling starts because that's the way we've always done it (http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000093058619/) is possibly the worst reason of all.

nrc
11-13-05, 07:57 PM
The question is WHY? As far as I can tell, it was a safety enchancement due to oval racing. For the "new" Champ Car, doing rolling starts because that's the way we've always done it (http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000093058619/) is possibly the worst reason of all.

Like it or not, it's part of the series identity. Standing starts are not and adopting them for no good reason makes it look like you're trying to mimic F1.

formulaben
11-13-05, 08:01 PM
Is that your only reason for not having them?

NismoZ
11-13-05, 09:39 PM
C'mon, nr, INDY used to be a part of the series identity. Not a good enough reason in my opinion. The NEW ChampCar NEEDS to be bold and aggressive in searching for things to help it create it's new identity. I hesitate to bring it up, because so many here have a negative attitude toward it, but A1GP does both successfully (so far :D ) and ChampCar could, too. I'm not prepared to present a list but some tracks should at least experiment with it. You mention that there is no real safety difference, (I'd consider that a positive rather than a negative reason) but what about a competitive difference? I don't like seeing some guys braking and tip-toeing around the final corner while others are streaking away up through the gears toward turn 1. A track like Cleveland seems to be MADE for standing starts. (4 wide, like the old F-1 days!?) I'd suggest having one there, maybe even Long Beach...but not Milwaukee! :gomer: Let's try some! (List, anyone?)

Dr. Corkski
11-13-05, 09:43 PM
Ho do you say commas over the phone? :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
11-13-05, 09:51 PM
Like it or not, it's part of the series identity
They flushed most of CART's identity down the swirly, so I'm not sure that is a good reason to avoid standing starts.

Cam
11-13-05, 09:56 PM
Ho do you say commas over the phone? :gomer:

Commas are pauses when a tellingbone reads them..... Therefore when you hear it it is just empty space.... :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
11-13-05, 10:04 PM
Oh jeebus, f'n Ed Hinton.

JoeBob
11-13-05, 10:26 PM
Is that your only reason for not having them?

How about the fact that on street circuits, there's nowhere to go if the car in front of you stalls.

On a wide F1 track, with grass to the outside, there's no problem. On the front stretch at Long Beach, or Denver, there's potential for huge problems.

racer2c
11-13-05, 10:41 PM
How about the fact that on street circuits, there's nowhere to go if the car in front of you stalls.

On a wide F1 track, with grass to the outside, there's no problem. On the front stretch at Long Beach, or Denver, there's potential for huge problems.

:thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
11-13-05, 11:08 PM
it's part of the series identity
:laugh:

NismoZ
11-13-05, 11:11 PM
Correct (comma) so on wide tracks with grass on the side (comma) go ahead and try it. It's not for every track. (comma key broke.)

Methanolandbrats
11-13-05, 11:46 PM
Here we go, Penske and Ed Hinton putting on the kneepads for FTG..........Aholes........I'm never watching this Gomer Festival again. :mad:

fourrunner
11-13-05, 11:51 PM
" We won the Championship in the series before we went to the IRL"

Roger THAT series was CART .. the series you started ... remember?

What a Cheezy Old **** !!

I now see why they call him "Captain Liverspots" ... God they look like skin lesions !! :eek:

Methanolandbrats
11-14-05, 12:02 AM
I was literally ready to puke after the last ten minutes of that show. That fat tub of guts Hinton dismissing KK and his "gang", trashing F1 and all the while getting in line with Liverspots and Dave the Gomer to blow FTG. Thank God some WRC is next. :mad:

fourrunner
11-14-05, 12:13 AM
LMAO !!

Hinton didn't have the guts to interview KK with Despain .... then to comment at the end of the show... he had Nothing for Kevin, and couldn't stand complimenting him

What a Loser !

Notice they kept listing Hinton's "Affiliations" as "Former" contributor to Sports Illustrated .. and his current ones as "Occasional" contributor..

Hinton looks "Homeless" but he is definitely Well Fed so he must "Dumpster Dive" for food

Lux Interior
11-14-05, 12:21 AM
The only thing that is lower than the IRL in my book is NASCAR, so I am not surprised. :thumdown:

Andrew Longman
11-15-05, 06:23 AM
Here we go, Penske and Ed Hinton putting on the kneepads for FTG..........Aholes........I'm never watching this Gomer Festival again. :mad:

I'm in the UK this week and missed it. What did they say? (not that I'm necessarily in the need for nausea)

formulaben
11-15-05, 02:46 PM

That's why I said "select" circuits. Safety should always be considered, but to me, standings starts IS open wheel road racing. This is a new era, a new Champ Car...I say let 'em at least try it on certain tracks and see where it goes. To keep them simply because of history or precident is illogical.

oddlycalm
11-15-05, 03:04 PM
That idiot despain is bad enough on his own, but with a big sack of hog diarrhea like Hinton to seal the deal it musta been real entertaining... :shakehead :thumdown: Send the only message that counts, don't watch. If you feel the need, let SPEED know that you're not watching and why.

oc

JoeBob
11-15-05, 03:17 PM
To keep them simply because of history or precident is illogical.

Yeah. To heck with tradition. Let's change the rules every week instead.

Sounds like a great idea.

Ankf00
11-15-05, 03:22 PM

spec chassis, nintendo style nitro button, pit stop windows, mandated use of 1 set of option tires...

if the terms CART or OWRS gets used, "this is a new series, it is CCWS, it is 2 years old, it is not CART"

well, where's the tradition in 2 years?

formulaben
11-15-05, 03:41 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I said... :shakehead

cart7
11-15-05, 07:13 PM
...sack of hog diarrhea.... uggh.

Winston Wolfe
11-16-05, 01:38 AM
spec chassis, nintendo style nitro button, pit stop windows, mandated use of 1 set of option tires...

if the terms CART or OWRS gets used, "this is a new series, it is CCWS, it is 2 years old, it is not CART"

well, where's the tradition in 2 years?

There is No Tradition in being on life support and recovering enought to establish plans for the future. I think the sponsors\drivers\TV contract\ etc\ ad nasueum, I thought someone with >4,000 posts would understand a little more. KK and his buddy GF have singlehandedly taken out the paddles and the crash cart and revived the patient. We just gotta get him standing, then walking up and down the halls again before we can get his ass out running marathons again ! I believe we are still in a "rebuilding" phase, yes\no ? Earls got tradition.... changing vision each and every year. We got Gerry and Kevin. My vote is with them! :D

Lux Interior
11-16-05, 06:47 AM
There is No Tradition in being on life support and recovering enought to establish plans for the future. I think the sponsors\drivers\TV contract\ etc\ ad nasueum, I thought someone with >4,000 posts would understand a little more. KK and his buddy GF have singlehandedly taken out the paddles and the crash cart and revived the patient. We just gotta get him standing, then walking up and down the halls again before we can get his ass out running marathons again ! I believe we are still in a "rebuilding" phase, yes\no ? Earls got tradition.... changing vision each and every year. We got Gerry and Kevin. My vote is with them! :D

Good call. Kevin said they are no where near close to where they need to be. But, they are getting the series on a stable foundation, which is critical to bringing in good sponsors, like Sherwin Williams. SW is a BIG company. Having them on board is HUGE for CC right now.

With a stable, affordable Atlantic series, secure events, and some long-term drivers, Champcar will rise from ashes of CART like a Phoenix.