PDA

View Full Version : C the E calls out the good ol' boys

rabbit
11-11-05, 02:51 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9839

"For me, it has more appeal and more growth potential for exposure than NASCAR," Cedric commented. "It has all the right elements. The thing about Champ Car is although it has primarily a white man appeal, it's not race specific like NASCAR, which really has that southern redneck thing. There is great diversity in the drivers and it has all the right elements I can identify as a black man, as an African American. They say in Hollywood that I have everyman appeal and I think my involvement can attract some additional diversity.

Methanolandbrats
11-11-05, 04:23 PM
He's off to a good start with the "everyman appeal". :shakehead

FCYTravis
11-11-05, 04:23 PM
Ummmm... yeah, that's why NASCAR packs tracks all up and down the Blue States. Lots of Southern rednecks in Chicago or New Hampshire or Sonoma.

If that's the best argument Cedric can come up with, that's pretty pathetic. :thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
11-11-05, 04:25 PM
If Champcar loads up on street courses and tools like Cedric, it won't be long before the races are on E.

Dirty Sanchez
11-11-05, 04:28 PM
:laugh:

trish
11-11-05, 04:34 PM
How is NASCAR race specific?

Easy
11-11-05, 04:35 PM
Ummmm... yeah, that's why NASCAR packs tracks all up and down the Blue States. Lots of Southern rednecks in Chicago or New Hampshire or Sonoma.

If that's the best argument Cedric can come up with, that's pretty pathetic. :thumdown:

Uhhm, Joliet. And there's plenty of em.

But I know what you mean.

Easy
11-11-05, 04:37 PM
How is NASCAR race specific?

They specifically race on closed circuits, no open road rallies.

I'll be here all week.

racer2c
11-11-05, 04:40 PM
I've met plenty of northern/mid-western/western rednecks. If you haven't, you're either one yourself or in denial. :gomer:

coolhand
11-11-05, 04:41 PM
That was a pretty sutpid comment, I went to the NASCAR race at Sonoma this year and there were more black people then any champ car I have been too.

NASCAR races everywhere and will take your money no matter who you are. And with Tim Brown entering as a team owner soon The paddocks will be on par with each other in terms of diversity.

Champ car should not try to market themselves as the "antithesis of redneck nascar" because it simply is not true

I predict that cedric wont finish out the season as a team owner.

Methanolandbrats
11-11-05, 04:43 PM
Cedric will be a big help when it comes to Champcar negotiating with NASCAR. Maybe he should be the Ambassador of Champcar.

Fried
11-11-05, 04:49 PM
Willy T. Ribbs loved his nascar experience.

rabbit
11-11-05, 04:54 PM
Yes, I'm sure Cedric and his friends would feel real welcome here:
http://www.aaim1.com/aaim1%20web2/Web%20pages/NASCAR1.jpg

:rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
11-11-05, 05:41 PM
So who is Cedric's favorite black Champ Car driver? Or favorite non-white Champ Car driver? :confused:

trish
11-11-05, 05:48 PM

He doesn't have to go in the infield.

Ankf00
11-11-05, 05:49 PM
blue states have rednecks too. :gomer:

Gangrel
11-11-05, 06:21 PM
Uhhm, Joliet. And there's plenty of em.

But I know what you mean.

Second that...

Never had an appreciation for how many rednecks we have in our back yard here until I went to a race at Chicagoland a few years ago...

Gangrel
11-11-05, 06:24 PM
So who is Cedric's favorite black Champ Car driver? Or favorite non-white Champ Car driver? :confused:

Can't speak for Cedric, but there are plenty of non-white champ car drivers. You learn to speak Spanish or Portuguese yet?

trish
11-11-05, 06:28 PM
There are only 3 races. Many Spanish and Portuguese speaking people are caucasion.

mueber
11-11-05, 06:57 PM
Rather than the predictable, “We need more red-blooded Americans in open wheel,” wheeze, we can make the point that diversity is good, and Champ Car has it. Cedric, is making that point, maybe not well, but he is making it.

cameraman
11-11-05, 06:59 PM
There are only 3 races. Many Spanish and Portuguese speaking people are caucasion.

The entire native population of North & South America would beg to differ.

Methanolandbrats
11-11-05, 07:03 PM
Now we need "diversity"? Christ, is this racing or an exercise in affirmative action? Should we reserve the 20th car for a crippled Eskimo? Reminds me of when a friend of mine had to go to "sensitivity training" as part of his job. Afterwards I asked him how it went. He said "it sucked, we had to listen to some fat bitch all day" :D

trish
11-11-05, 07:04 PM
There are many ethnicities.

trish
11-11-05, 07:06 PM
Bringing racial politics into sports is the kiss of death. People don't want to hear it, and why should they have to? Sports are supposed to be fun.

JohnHKart
11-11-05, 07:15 PM
There are so many wanna be southern rednecks at Fontana and Phoenix you could swear it's Darlington. If they banned pickup trucks with NRA stickers and gunracks at those cup races the stands would look like an IRL race.

John

Dirty Sanchez
11-11-05, 07:53 PM
affirmative action for road courses please.

Dr. Corkski
11-11-05, 08:21 PM
Wait til he goes to Edmonton! :laugh:

RusH
11-11-05, 10:08 PM

She means that the latin population has many races, just like the USA, white is one of them. But its common in America to lump being "spanish" as a racial term.

coolhand
11-11-05, 11:39 PM

That is the flag of the south, not the infamous Cofederate battle flag that you may have been led to believe

coolhand
11-11-05, 11:45 PM
Everyone thinks that Rednecks are america's dark little secret regulated to the backwoods of the south and interior. Hell they are all over and not as easily classified as one might think. The more steriotypical ones tend to show up at NASCAR races. I am sure alot of people would want to identify themselves as on now. Its getting trendy.

Lizzerd
11-12-05, 12:08 AM
I live in a red state and generally vote for red candidates. That doesn't mean I like NASCAR or am a redneck. I also consider the Confederate Flag repugnant. In fact, much of my extended family lives in a blue state and are blue type voters (union types), who worship the Dales and Labontes and barely recognize Champ Car as an entity.

Edit: to fix a typo misspelling.

High Sided
11-12-05, 03:20 AM
bet there are more crackheads than rednecks in the usa. :gomer:

gomers a crackhead/redneck/hoosher from indy :gomer:

bet this guy is a champcar fan :cool:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/27499971.html

Insomniac
11-12-05, 09:15 AM
That is the flag of the south, not the infamous Cofederate battle flag that you may have been led to believe

And what did the south represent? That's something to be proud of...

Methanolandbrats
11-12-05, 09:19 AM
And what did the south represent? That's something to be proud of... They had a liberal immigration policy and believed in full employment. Never much luck getting a minimum wage law passed though. :)

Ankf00
11-12-05, 02:26 PM

the 1st National Confederate States of America flag
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1b/Starsnbars.png/120px-Starsnbars.png

the Confederate battle flag
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Battleflag.png/119px-Battleflag.png

the Naval Jack
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Navaljack.png/120px-Navaljack.png

now what again was it exactly that I was mistakenly led to believe?

rabbit
11-12-05, 03:19 PM
Who cares which Confederate flag it is. (BTW- I do know the difference between the different Confederate flags). Either way, we cannot appreciate what that flag means to different groups of people. To me, it represents a group of people who tried to destroy the Union that our forefathers had fought to establish. To a black man, it represents decades of slavery. I would not feel welcome anywhere that flag is flown and someone like Cedric would feel even less welcome. Whether he points out the racism/xenophobia in NASCAR or not, it still exists. This is a thread (http://www.racestud.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/001956.html) from a dirt track forum that gives a creepy insight into what redneck race fans believe. (I'm hemingway, BTW. I post there anonymously to make fun of the idiots. In three years they've never caught on. :shakehead ) Point is, I don't think it was wrong for him to say it. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the truth.

FCYTravis
11-12-05, 03:24 PM
I think it was completely stupid for him to say it because the vast majority of NASCAR fans aren't your stereotyped "Southern rednecks."

In fact, I daresay there are twice or three or four times as many NASCAR fans who aren't "Southern rednecks" than all the whine and cheeze road-racing fans of every series added up together. There are more corporate bigwigs and rich, high-class Americans watching NASCAR than have ever watched a CART race.

Stupid **** like that only makes our series look lame.

extramundane
11-12-05, 04:08 PM
I think it was completely stupid for him to say it because the vast majority of NASCAR fans aren't your stereotyped "Southern rednecks."

That may be true, but the only non-white people I've ever seen at a NASCAR event were track employees, not spectators.

fourrunner
11-12-05, 04:14 PM
Not sure how many of you guys are "Black"... I'm certainly not... however, I have a few Black friends, and that's exactly what "they" think of NASCAR ...So I'm sure that's exactly what Cedric feels about the subject

I'm in Philly ... the second "Liberal" bastion of the Northeast ... but every one of my friends has been stopped "For Being Black" some more than once. So it's everywhere !

This perception is NASCAR's problem ... a PR problem ...

Cedric is a comedian who comments on social issues all the time in his act... Maybe he needs to be "Politically correct" now that he's an owner ... but I'll give him a pass on this

NASCAR is "numero uno" in Racing in America ... They should say in a VERY LOUD VOICE that they are NOT a "White Man's Sport" but I have a feeling that they might alienate a segment of their fan base, who will shout on the mountain top that they aren't Racist... we just act that way !!

It's the perception ... Blacks perceive it ... I'm sure NASCAR just wishes it would go away !

FCYTravis
11-12-05, 04:24 PM
That may be true, but the only non-white people I've ever seen at a NASCAR event were track employees, not spectators.
I could say the same for pretty much every road-racing event I've ever attended.

Racing is a sport that, by and large, is owned, crewed, driven and watched by white folk.

Ankf00
11-12-05, 04:46 PM
where are most of the nextel cup teams based again?
what part of the country did the sport rise from?
what's the most common accent of a nextel cup driver or crew chief?
when's the last time a foreign driver drove in a nextel cup event?
where are the majority of the nextel cup events located?

fans from the past 5-8-10 years don't exactly constitute nascar's original "base", its a mainstream sport now, yes, doesn't mean its not the same ol' in the pits

Methanolandbrats
11-12-05, 05:30 PM
I can see it now, here it comes, The Gran Prix of Compton.

FCYTravis
11-12-05, 05:36 PM
Complete with pit stops for smack? :rofl:

trish
11-12-05, 05:46 PM
Not sure how many of you guys are "Black"... I'm certainly not... however, I have a few Black friends, and that's exactly what "they" think of NASCAR ...So I'm sure that's exactly what Cedric feels about the subject

I'm in Philly ... the second "Liberal" bastion of the Northeast ... but every one of my friends has been stopped "For Being Black" some more than once. So it's everywhere !

This perception is NASCAR's problem ... a PR problem ...

Cedric is a comedian who comments on social issues all the time in his act... Maybe he needs to be "Politically correct" now that he's an owner ... but I'll give him a pass on this

NASCAR is "numero uno" in Racing in America ... They should say in a VERY LOUD VOICE that they are NOT a "White Man's Sport" but I have a feeling that they might alienate a segment of their fan base, who will shout on the mountain top that they aren't Racist... we just act that way !!

It's the perception ... Blacks perceive it ... I'm sure NASCAR just wishes it would go away !
I'm black. I don't think NASCAR should have to say anything unless you can prove that they tried to keep people out because of race. If anyone has the money to start a team, I'm sure they'd be welcome. Having said that, if I were ever to go see a NASCAR race live, there are certainly some states I will not go to see it.

extramundane
11-12-05, 06:25 PM
I could say the same for pretty much every road-racing event I've ever attended.

Racing is a sport that, by and large, is owned, crewed, driven and watched by white folk.

The difference is that I've never been to a road race where a Japanese driver was booed during driver intros strictly for being Japanese or the biggest cheer of the day was when the black driver crashed.

RusH
11-12-05, 07:46 PM

That German guy..what`s his name..oh yea, Earnhardt drives every weekend. :gomer:

fourrunner
11-12-05, 08:10 PM
I'm black. I don't think NASCAR should have to say anything unless you can prove that they tried to keep people out because of race. If anyone has the money to start a team, I'm sure they'd be welcome. Having said that, if I were ever to go see a NASCAR race live, there are certainly some states I will not go to see it.

I'm sure that NASCAR would have no problem with accepting a Team that consisted of all Black participant's ... In fact I think they would encourage it to dispel the perception

I can just talk about my friends that are Black ... They are totally into cars, they have College Degree's, and have great incomes ... However they do not think that NASCAR is "Black Friendly" ... Pennsylvania has been refered to as "Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the West ... and Alabama in between" ... there is a reason for that .

I don't expect NASCAR to accept my suggestion,nor should they ... but the perception is out there !

Methanolandbrats
11-12-05, 08:36 PM
When I was going to races in the east, I noticed blacks really like motorcycle drag racing. I don't know why and I don't even know it is really true, just what I observed. Maybe they have been growing up with that form of motorsport for a couple generations and that makes it a familiar part of life. Same thing for young white guys in Alabama, short track stock cars are cultural and normal. It takes a long time to change that long standing cultural stuff and I think it's a big mistake for officials to namecall and pigeonhole groups of people.

JT265
11-12-05, 11:34 PM

In fact, I daresay there are twice or three or four times as many NASCAR fans who aren't "Southern rednecks" than all the whine and cheeze road-racing fans of every series added up together. There are more corporate bigwigs and rich, high-class Americans watching NASCAR than have ever watched a CART race.

Stupid **** like that only makes our series look lame.

Of course you're correct. Why just yesterday I passed a five-series Beemer with the 3 etched in the rear window, and he was followed closely by a newer Lexus with a large 24 decal along the rear quarter panel.

:laugh: :laugh:

FCYTravis
11-12-05, 11:47 PM
And just the other day I drove past a Mercedes with an "I <HEART> SEBASTIAN" sticker... the guy next door has a Volvo with a "PAUL TRACY SPEAKS FOR ME" license plate frame.

trish
11-13-05, 12:01 AM
And just the other day I drove past a Mercedes with an "I <HEART> SEBASTIAN" sticker... the guy next door has a Volvo with a "PAUL TRACY SPEAKS FOR ME" license plate frame.

Tee hee! :D

Gangrel
11-13-05, 01:16 AM
In reading that thread, I take solace that one of the first words poster #2 used in his post was "those", but spelled "thoughs." Kind of speaks volumes, don't it? :laugh:

Who cares which Confederate flag it is. (BTW- I do know the difference between the different Confederate flags). Either way, we cannot appreciate what that flag means to different groups of people. To me, it represents a group of people who tried to destroy the Union that our forefathers had fought to establish. To a black man, it represents decades of slavery. I would not feel welcome anywhere that flag is flown and someone like Cedric would feel even less welcome. Whether he points out the racism/xenophobia in NASCAR or not, it still exists. This is a thread (http://www.racestud.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/001956.html) from a dirt track forum that gives a creepy insight into what redneck race fans believe. (I'm hemingway, BTW. I post there anonymously to make fun of the idiots. In three years they've never caught on. :shakehead ) Point is, I don't think it was wrong for him to say it. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the truth.

Fried
11-13-05, 10:27 AM
Complete with pit stops for smack? :rofl:you are a clever one.

coolhand
11-13-05, 03:17 PM
where are most of the nextel cup teams based again?
what part of the country did the sport rise from?
what's the most common accent of a nextel cup driver or crew chief?
where are the majority of the nextel cup events located?

fans from the past 5-8-10 years don't exactly constitute nascar's original "base", its a mainstream sport now, yes, doesn't mean its not the same ol' in the pits

thats the same place they moved out of roackingham and darlington for races is TEXAS and Cali

coolhand
11-13-05, 03:19 PM
The difference is that I've never been to a road race where a Japanese driver was booed during driver intros strictly for being Japanese or the biggest cheer of the day was when the black driver crashed.

i have seen kurt busch get booed, is it because of his big ears?

seriously, should they cheer for the japanese driver and wear shirts saying "celebrate diversity"?

extramundane
11-13-05, 03:49 PM
seriously, should they cheer for the japanese driver and wear shirts saying "celebrate diversity"?

No, but booing him due to his nationality? And if I'd had a nickel for every "Goddamn Jap!"-ish comment...

coolhand
11-13-05, 03:55 PM
No, but booing him due to his nationality? And if I'd had a nickel for every "Goddamn Jap!"-ish comment...

How did you feel about Japanese ride buyers in CART? did you feel they got in on their driving merits or because of their nationality? then would that anger be so misplaced? Some think it could be legitimet gounds for criticism.

I don't see any Alabamans trying to race in formula nippon

cameraman
11-13-05, 04:44 PM

You could expand that statement to "I don't see any North or South Americans trying to race in formula nippon".....

coolhand
11-13-05, 04:51 PM
You could expand that statement to "I don't see any North or South Americans trying to race in formula nippon".....

GOOD POINT, well them there is some reason to make derogitory claims about Japanese racers when they don't have a racing series that ANYONE regardless of nationality wants to race in. they come to NASCAR, says alot

extramundane
11-13-05, 06:31 PM
How did you feel about Japanese ride buyers in CART? did you feel they got in on their driving merits or because of their nationality? then would that anger be so misplaced? Some think it could be legitimet gounds for criticism.

And your point is? The Japanese ride buyers in CART (and IRL) weren't taking seats away from other, more deserving drivers. They were funding cars that otherwise wouldn't have been on the track. Same situation for Fukiyama in NASCAR- he paid for a ride in a car that otherwise wasn't racing.

He wasn't booed for stealing someone else's ride, or even for being a bad driver. He was booed for, in the words of the guy a couple rows in front of me, being a "slant-eyed bastard."

Ankf00
11-13-05, 06:50 PM
GOOD POINT, well them there is some reason to make derogitory claims about Japanese racers when they don't have a racing series that ANYONE regardless of nationality wants to race in. they come to NASCAR, says alot

formula nippon has absolutely nothing to do with how a japanese driver deserves to be treated.

No one worth a damn wants to play in Major League Soccer, so in world cup 02 DeMarcus Beasley deserved the racist flak he took from the stands according to your point.

that's a load of bull.

Mexico doesn't have a destination racing series so Dominguez deserves to be called a fruit-picker and deserves to be booed and deserves to receive all kinds of derogatory comments :rolleyes:

coolhand
11-13-05, 06:55 PM
formula nippon has absolutely nothing to do with how a japanese driver deserves to be treated.

No one worth a damn wants to play in Major League Soccer, so in world cup 02 DeMarcus Beasley deserved the racist flak he took from the stands according to your point.

that's a load of bull.

Mexico doesn't have a destination racing series so Dominguez deserves to be called a fruit-picker and deserves to be booed and deserves to receive all kinds of derogatory comments :rolleyes:

nope, Mario is a good driver and deserved his top of the line ride, that demands respect and the fans give it to him.

Never heard of DeMarcus (is that a made up name?) beasly.

What did fukayama do to deserve NASCAR fans' respect?

extramundane
11-13-05, 09:50 PM
What did fukayama do to deserve NASCAR fans' respect?

You're missing the point: What did he do to deserve being slandered and cursed by NASCAR fans? Besides having the audacity to be non-white, of course.

CART T. Katz
11-14-05, 02:31 AM
my only thoughts on the issue from dolan's forum (http://www.mikescomputersllc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37642#37642)

mueber
11-14-05, 09:28 AM
Everyone thinks that Rednecks are america's dark little secret regulated to the backwoods of the south and interior. Hell they are all over and not as easily classified as one might think. The more steriotypical ones tend to show up at NASCAR races. I am sure alot of people would want to identify themselves as on now. Its getting trendy.

During the early days of the IRL, my father was deeply, and successfully, involved with them as a product supplier. After two years of traveling the length and width of the Country, he made this observation to me, “Rednecks are the most common form of American.”

It’s the truth, deal with it, Cedric has to.

JLMannin
11-14-05, 12:13 PM
I see red-necks. They are everywhere. Some of them don't even know that they are red-necks.

Methanolandbrats
11-14-05, 12:46 PM
Would these be young Champcar Fans or young rednecks destined to be NASCAR Fans?

http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/corporate/mcdonalds/too-many-happy-meals.jpg

coolhand
11-14-05, 01:46 PM
Well that is MACdonalds so they must be desinted to be SBAAASien BorDay fans.

they have red-neck CC fan all over them, they don't appear to be the Wine and Cheese IRL types

Methanolandbrats
11-14-05, 01:47 PM
Damn, you're right, they're Seabass Fans :saywhat:

Easy
11-14-05, 03:19 PM
Maybe they're Victor Fomenko fans. Check the sign in the window.

fourrunner
11-14-05, 06:28 PM
They're just two kids who probably eat at McDonalds every meal ...every day !

No offense to our illustrious Sponsor ... but even they would call this child abuse ! :eek:

oddlycalm
11-14-05, 09:27 PM
One thing all of us here should understand is that if you get hooked on racing you're hooked, and skin pigmentation is obviously not an effective antidote... ;)

As a team onwer I think it's unfortunate that CTE singled out any other racing series for comments, though I suppose it might be that he may get asked daily why he specifically got involved with CCWS as opposed to the more popular series.

In my mind the real answer is likely no different than Michael Jordan having an AMA racing team and his interest in MotoGP; he got bit by the bug and that's the end of the story. Didn't matter that it was a sport where most of the best riders are short people....
Michael Jordan Rides Ducati Desmosedici (http://www.rubbermag.com/news/041101_1n.html)

oc

coolhand
11-14-05, 10:03 PM
When did jordan ride a moto gp bike? i could not find a date on that article

Anteater
11-14-05, 10:26 PM
Would these be young Champcar Fans or young rednecks destined to be NASCAR Fans?
With all due respect to McDonalds, those are a couple of kids destined to be Type II diabetics! :shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
11-14-05, 11:50 PM
blue states have rednecks too. :gomer:
Yeah, but we try to keep them cordoned off.

coolhand
11-14-05, 11:55 PM

So you are a proponent of Segregation? :thumdown:

Ankf00
11-14-05, 11:59 PM

touche :D

Michaelhatesfans
11-15-05, 12:48 AM
So you are a proponent of Segregation? :thumdown:
No, I'm a proponent of sarcasm.

coolhand
11-15-05, 02:13 AM
No, I'm a proponent of sarcasm.

me too :thumbup: