PDA

View Full Version : Standing Stats in '07?

racer2c
11-10-05, 12:12 AM
KK says maybe.

Q: Are F1-like standing starts in play for ‘07?

KK: “They definitely add to the entertainment value; we’d love to do them in 2007 on suitable tracks, like Monterrey in Mexico -- our current technical package makes it difficult since the cars were not designed to idle still for long and could have overheating issues. But that will be addressed in the new chassis, which will also makes things easier since it adds an on-board starter. Standing starts are exciting for the fans and can also be safer on the sense that cars reach the first turn after the start at lower speeds.”

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/20662/)

rosawendel
11-10-05, 09:38 AM
i'd much prefer standing starts over standing stats... :D

Jervis Tetch 1
11-10-05, 11:20 AM
:thumbup:
i'd much prefer standing starts over standing stats... :D

racer2c
11-10-05, 12:18 PM
That's what happens when I rely too much on Bill Gates to fix my spelling. :)

CART T. Katz
11-10-05, 12:48 PM
:thumdown:
bad idea. rolling starts were started in this country by champcar and it doesn't do anything for the series other than make for a tv drawing start (basically revved engines). if i thought standing starts were "teh gr8est thing EVAR!!11!!!!" i would watch supercross, motocross, ama, speed gt/wc, sbk, ama, corr, etc. more often. plus it wouldn't be practical. standing starts on one track, rolling starts on another? ONE STANDARD FOR ALL STARTS, either/or not both.

i don't want champcar becoming f1-lite. if i wanted to watch f1 style racing i would watch the eurosnobs early in the morning. don't give me an excuse that it would separate the two series; i don't think the average american would still tell the difference between the two.

JoeBob
11-10-05, 01:01 PM
I agree.

NO STANDING STARTS

There's potential for even more trouble at the start, and it screams F1-Lite. On street circuits where there is no grass to head for when there's trouble, it has the potential for terrible consequences.

American Racing has rolling starts - keep it that way.

pchall
11-10-05, 01:05 PM
Standing starts only make sense for drag racing. :shakehead

jonovision_man
11-10-05, 01:21 PM
I love standing starts :thumbup:

But :

Standing starts are exciting for the fans and can also be safer on the sense that cars reach the first turn after the start at lower speeds.

Exciting? Yes.

Safer? No.

They're at lower speeds in T1, but when someone at the front fails to get away quickly or stalls, they are left sitting in the middle of the track while a dozen cars zip by them.

It also seems to compress the grid a lot more, F1 hits turn 1 more bunched together than the rolling start CCWS grids do.

jono

IlliniRacer
11-10-05, 01:33 PM
bad idea. rolling starts were started in this country by champcar and it doesn't do anything for the series other than make for a tv drawing start (basically revved engines). if i thought standing starts were "teh gr8est thing EVAR!!11!!!!" i would watch supercross......

You should. I still thinks it the most exciting racing I've seen in person.

As for standing starts in CCWS. . . . I used to be :thumdown: , Then I was :thumbup: , and I have to say I'm back to :thumdown: as long as they have a starter who can get the drivers lined up on a rolling start. I must that the Mexico City start may have been the best I've seen in years.

skaven
11-10-05, 07:11 PM
I must that the Mexico City start may have been the best I've seen in years.

I almost posted this earlier... I've only watched a bit of the Mexico City race on RD and the start WAS fantastic. :thumbup:

That said, if they want to experiment on some courses with standing starts, I'm willing to give it a chance.

Andrew Longman
11-10-05, 07:20 PM
Rolling start please. Much more exciting to me. And uniquely champ car

Don Quixote
11-10-05, 07:30 PM
As others have said, standing starts and concrete walls don't mix. Picture Fabrizio del Monte a twitch of his foot from 750 hp. Oh the humanity. :shakehead :laugh:

coolhand
11-10-05, 08:50 PM
Rolling starts is part of champ car and should stay.

The theory of it being safer is bogus, Da Matta will still launch of somoones back versus clipping his tire at turn one.

racer2c
11-10-05, 10:26 PM
I agree with JoeBob, too much like F1 Lite, especially if they only do it at select tracks. All or nuthin' and might as well keep on keepin' on with good ol' rolling starts.

formulaben
11-12-05, 02:48 PM
bad idea. rolling starts were started in this country by champcar...

But they were started only because of ovals, no?