PDA

View Full Version : Another really stupid death...almost Darwin Award

JohnHKart
11-09-05, 07:24 PM
I am not making fun of this at all. It's just that I can't understand it. Because if you are walking on a freeway, there is either a solid ground next to the freeway, or a soundwall. But if you get on a bridge....it's usually pretty obvious that is what it is...especially if you just drove over it then walk back towards it. Of course there is nothing underneath it to walk on!!!! Even if it was dark you should still have been able to figured it out.

John

Los Angeles Times

Woman Dies in Fall From O.C. Bridge
By Susana Enriquez, Times Staff Writer

A woman plunged 75 feet to her death Sunday when she stopped on a bridge to pick up belongings that had fallen out of her truck earlier that day.

Jennifer Lee Hashimoto, 35, and a friend were moving her belongings from Rancho Santa Margarita to Irvine. She was driving west on Santa Margarita Parkway in Rancho Santa Margarita about 7 p.m. when she spotted her items, said Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

Hashimoto and her friend parked the truck in the left-turn lane to Alicia Parkway and started walking in the fast lane, he said.

Looking for a safer place to walk, Hashimoto jumped over the guardrail and fell into the dry bed of Trabuco Creek. Her friend, who was behind her, called for help when Hashimoto disappeared.

Hashimoto was pronounced dead at the scene.

"It was a tragic accident," Amormino said. "She thought there was solid ground on the other side."

She was probably not able to see the drop, he said, because it was dark and the area is poorly lighted

Hard Driver
11-10-05, 01:48 AM
Thats more just tragic.

A guy that works for me has a friend who kinda did the same thing recently. Hit a barrier at an exit. Two good Samaritons stopped to help a man and a lady. This guys buddy and the guy that stopped were standing there when a car came off and must have swerved seeing the wreck but not them or something. But these two guys just jumped the guardrail to get out of the way and fell off an overpass onto a road below. My employees buddy lived and the good samariton died. The lady that still at the wreck didn't even know they were gone until she couldn't find them. She didn't see it and my employees friend didn't remember it, he was pretty badly screwed up. The car that swerved down the exit didn't stop. So they just pretty much assume these two guys jumped off the overpass because a car was coming at them and they didn't know there was no ground.

JohnHKart
11-10-05, 06:20 AM
I may visit this site...just so I can understand what happened. It just blows my mind.

John

Jervis Tetch 1
11-10-05, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately it's no the first time it's happened and it probably won't be the last.

Anteater
11-10-05, 07:38 PM
She could see her stuff, but she couldn't see the drop-off? :confused: But this is a more thorough article than the one in the OC Register, which didn't mention the bridge at all. It just stated that she fell down a 75-foot cliff while trying to retrieve her belongings.

Sorry to read about a senseless death, but I have an issue with people who don't know how to secure their items properly when they move. Wonder how many deaths have occurred because of moving-related debris?