PDA

View Full Version : Miller - Champ Car Two Years In

Chitowncartfreak
11-08-05, 08:55 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/20641/

A great read with some classic one-liners!

rabbit
11-08-05, 09:01 AM
Keeping ovals (Milwaukee and Las Vegas) sounds more like a habit than a need.

"We'll evaluate them after next year but we're not going to do them if they're not successful," said Kalkhoven. "But why bother racing in front of 10 people? There's already a series that does that." Oh, snap! :rofl: :laugh:

Then Kalkhoven grinned and said: "I've got a hammer too." :D:thumbup:

Chitowncartfreak
11-08-05, 09:06 AM
I'm a fan of this gem.

e) Left little doubt they're better equipped to deal with the real world than George.

2DB
11-08-05, 09:49 AM
"When Gerry and I took over we wanted to eliminate this concept that open wheel racing is over or dead, because it's not. Our strategy of a three-day festival is working and we've got some exciting things in the pipeline. Gerry and I also plan to be around for quite a while."

PG's name seems to be omitted more and more. I don't see a problem with this but what about TransAm, does PG still own the series? Will they run next year?
I'm anticipating one great Long Beach weekend, I truely regret I didn't go on the banzai trip last year.

Kelvis

NismoZ
11-08-05, 10:21 AM
PG says Trans Am ISN'T dead, but he doesn't sound too certain. He MAY have contacted Grand Am about getting the (modified) Jaguar engine certified and is even looking at a combine with the SPEED GT series, but says Trans Am is still on for Long Beach. Sounds like curtains to me. Would like to at least see the "Trans Am" name survive in some way, though. SCCA SPEED Trans Am Challenge?

High Sided
11-08-05, 10:24 AM
tony's hammer is the 1 ounce tack hammer that still makes him cry when he hits his thumb. kk and jf are proud owners of some serious jack-hammers busting threw the open wheel world while tony is left pulling out bent nails :p

racer2c
11-08-05, 11:07 AM
"When Gerry and I took over we wanted to eliminate this concept that open wheel racing is over or dead, because it's not. Our strategy of a three-day festival is working and we've got some exciting things in the pipeline. Gerry and I also plan to be around for quite a while."

PG's name seems to be omitted more and more. I don't see a problem with this but what about TransAm, does PG still own the series? Will they run next year?
I'm anticipating one great Long Beach weekend, I truely regret I didn't go on the banzai trip last year.

Kelvis

After all the embarrassing crap that spewed out of his mouth two years ago, I have a feeling that KK and GF told him his 10% gives him the right to remain silent.

mueber
11-08-05, 06:36 PM
I enjoyed the one-liners too, but I think it is a mistake to even acknowledge the existence of the Gomer League, even when joking.

The best way to kill them is to keep a close eye on them, for obvious reasons, in private, and ignore them in public. KK doesn't need a librarian to give him marketing advice, but I think he should talk about his plans, his goals and the successes and future of his series and leave it at that….The Gomer Racing League jokes only reinforce in the minds of the public the vindictive, silly mess that is open wheel these days.

rabbit
11-08-05, 06:43 PM
The Gomer Racing League jokes only reinforce in the minds of the public the vindictive, silly mess that is open wheel these days.That's what everybody said after CART swept the top six spots in the inaugural Indy 497.5. CART/Champ Car missed a golden opportunity to point out the stark contrast between the two series and bury the IRL. I'm not saying they should be out there every day dissin' the IRL, but a little dig here and there isn't going to hurt anything. Besides, KK didn't call out the IRL by name. His comments are only meaningful to people, like us, who are already firmly ensconced in one camp or the other.

Lizzerd
11-09-05, 02:25 AM
I think you mean 2001.

http://www.indy500.com/stats/box_scoreHTML.php

rabbit
11-09-05, 08:58 AM
I think you mean 2001.

http://www.indy500.com/stats/box_scoreHTML.php
Yep, that's the one. That's where the "Indy 497.5" tag came from, since the top IRL finisher was a lap down. :laugh:

Lizzerd
11-09-05, 07:47 PM
Yep, that's the one. That's where the "Indy 497.5" tag came from, since the top IRL finisher was a lap down. :laugh:

And I always thought the 497.5 referred to PT's win in 2002. :confused: Using your reasoning, though, the inaugural 497.5 was indeed 2001. :D

tantra
11-10-05, 12:10 AM
Lizzerd, you are already a able historian of the series. Now, doesn't that make you feel just a bit older than you actually are?

No one can ever replace 'bird', but I appreciate your jumping on this one.

Dave

Lizzerd
11-10-05, 01:01 AM
Lizzerd, you are already a able historian of the series. Now, doesn't that make you feel just a bit older than you actually are?

No one can ever replace 'bird', but I appreciate your jumping on this one.

Dave

I'm only a Indy/USAC/CART/Champ Car/F1 "historian", with regard to personal memory, back to the mid '70's or so. Anything else is just stuff I've read. The late, great Railbird was going to races and knew who was who years before I knew what a race car was. And I guess that would be '65, my earliest memory of Indy quals, the day Jim Clark became my hero.

dando
11-10-05, 01:18 AM
And I always thought the 497.5 referred to PT's win in 2002. :confused: Using your reasoning, though, the inaugural 497.5 was indeed 2001. :D
PT's win is how I came to understand the 497.5. However, either way works fine for me. :D

-Kevin