PDA

View Full Version : You're drunk, bloody and tell police you murdered someone

Napoleon
11-04-05, 02:12 PM
How likely is it the police would let you go without even getting your name?

I guess pretty likely, at least in Maryland. From today's Washington Post.

Md. Police Backtrack, Arrest Man In Killing

By Ernesto Londoño
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 4, 2005; B02

Two Montgomery County police officers on Monday morning drove home a drunk and bloodstained man who told them that he had just committed a homicide, police say.

When they dropped him off at his Silver Spring apartment, officers Ijeoma Enendu and Jason Keith did not get the man's name.

But when homicide detectives found a body outside a Silver Spring church later in the day, the odd run-in with Tomas Gonzalez started to make sense to the patrol officers, according to a statement of probable cause filed to arrest him more than 24 hours after he was taken home. Gonzalez has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Dung Tri Dao, 43, of Silver Spring, whose name was released yesterday by police.

Enendu told homicide detectives that she ran into Gonzalez about 1:40 a.m. Monday after responding to a report of a stabbing at Amherst Avenue and University Boulevard West.

Officers determined that Gonzalez, 23, had been involved in a bar brawl and offered to drive him home. According to the charging document, Gonzalez told Enendu: "There is a dead body in the woods. I killed somebody. I hit the guy with a rock. We had a fight."

Officers noted that "the subject had blood on his hands, face and arms along with his clothing," according to the charging document.

When officers asked him where the body was, "the subject froze up and said he didn't know or remember any such event," the charging document said.

On Monday night, Enendu returned to Gonzalez's apartment with homicide detectives to identify him. Gonzalez told detectives, with the assistance of a Spanish-speaking officer, that he got into a fight with "a Chinese man" after leaving a bar, police said. Gonzalez told officers that the man cut him with a knife, so Gonzalez "got a rock . . . and hit the Chinese man on the head," the charging document said.

Gonzalez then went to a gas station, where an attendant called police, the charging document said.

Lt. Eric Burnett, a police spokesman, declined to say whether the patrol officers acted according to policy. "We're not going to comment on what they should have done," Burnett said. "They were able to determine where the man lived, and that's why he was arrested."

racer2c
11-04-05, 02:27 PM
My favorite part of Maryland is seeing the 'Welcome to Virginia" sign. :)

Ankf00
11-04-05, 02:55 PM

That's the SAME thing I said when I drove through on the Fourth... :laugh:

trish
11-04-05, 03:04 PM
Those officers should lose their badges or be restricted to pushing paper. :shakehead

RusH
11-04-05, 03:21 PM
Those officers should lose their badges or be restricted to pushing paper. :shakehead

now now, be careful what you say about other members :gomer:

trish
11-04-05, 03:31 PM
now now, be careful what you say about other members :gomer:
That one almost got by me. :laugh:

Ankf00
11-04-05, 03:39 PM
dude in Harris County jail in downtown Houston yesterday just walked out in the middle of the day, convicted of double murder in '98, just threw on some khakis somewhere and a shirt and just talked his way to the outside....

quite shifty for someone who was only a day or so away from being processed into Death Row...

chop456
11-04-05, 03:49 PM
Cops like these guys are never there when I need them.

oddlycalm
11-04-05, 04:08 PM
Those officers should lose their badges or be restricted to pushing paper. :shakehead I dunno, seems like they would be right at home being race stewards for the EARL...

oc

Napoleon
11-04-05, 05:14 PM
Cops like these guys are never there when I need them.

Funny, that is the first thing I thought. Why is it I always have to deal with some Joe Friday.

Dr. Corkski
11-04-05, 05:55 PM
Look for him to start for the Ravens at QB this weekend.

Car-B-Q
11-04-05, 08:31 PM
Hey! some us have to live in Maryland. I think I would prefer to live in Va, but until the Wilson Bridge is completed, fat chance of that happening.

racer2c
11-04-05, 10:31 PM
Hey! some us have to live in Maryland. I think I would prefer to live in Va, but until the Wilson Bridge is completed, fat chance of that happening.

Chin up fellow champ car fan. Someday they have to let you out. :)

stroker
11-04-05, 11:48 PM
See? And everyone was worried what would happen to those officers fired from the New Orleans department... They found jobs right away!

Lizzerd
11-05-05, 01:36 AM
So let me see if I have this right. Officers respond to a possible stabbing, find a blood stained drunk guy who tells them that he killed someone and they take him home?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Oh, he said he hit him with a rock. It wasn't a stabbing.

Some questions remain, though. Like, did they find a stabbing victim? Was this guy's crime the crime that was reported?

That's still not an excuse for not questioning the guy at the time. Imcompetence. I hate it.

trish
11-05-05, 06:27 AM
They could have taken him in for public drunkeness if nothing else.