PDA

View Full Version : favorate indy moment?

High Sided
11-04-05, 11:04 AM
my favorate 500 moment came at the last lap, last turn, then watching and hearing the words from tom c "paul tracy wins the indy 500".

racer2c
11-04-05, 11:08 AM
When Danika Patrick won this year. Way to go girl!!!! First of many! :thumbup:

Wabbit
11-04-05, 11:18 AM
Carboration Day 1993.

My sister flew my wife and I out to Indy for our wedding present. Spent the day at the track seeing the excitement and crowds. But, just my luck, the one year she didn't know anyone selling tickets.

cartman
11-04-05, 11:36 AM
Watching Juan Pablo wipe the floor with the HURL regulars.

Methanolandbrats
11-04-05, 11:47 AM
Luyendyk's 236 or what ever it was. Got out of the car and he was just white. Said something about the car "vibrating" or some similar quote. Took a lot of sack :thumbup:

rabbit
11-04-05, 11:57 AM
Lesser Andretti getting pwn3d by Mears in Turn 1 in '90 or '91 (I forget the exact year). :thumbup:

cart7
11-04-05, 12:34 PM
Lesser Andretti getting pwn3d by Mears in Turn 1 in '90 or '91 (I forget the exact year). :thumbup:

That was after the lesser had pwn3d Mears in the same place a couple laps earlier. That was a great battle between those 2 but comes in 2nd behind mine which was the Mears-Johncock battle in '82.

Ozarkian
11-04-05, 12:48 PM
That was after the lesser had pwn3d Mears in the same place a couple laps earlier. That was a great battle between those 2 but comes in 2nd behind mine which was the Mears-Johncock battle in '82.

I'd have to agree. We were sitting in Tower Terrace, and it seemed the crowd was holding its collective breath those last 3 laps. Then, as both cars came down the front straight on the last lap and Mears made his move, you couldn't hear the engines for the crowd's roar.

cart7
11-04-05, 12:56 PM
I'd have to agree. We were sitting in Tower Terrace, and it seemed the crowd was holding its collective breath those last 3 laps. Then, as both cars came down the front straight on the last lap and Mears made his move, you couldn't hear the engines for the crowd's roar.

I was in the TT as well. I remember those 2 coming down just before Andretti made his pass. The lessers nose seemed like it was stuck up under Mear's tranny. Amazing trust had to be going on between those 2 driving like that. It was a classic battle.

chop456
11-04-05, 01:02 PM
'82 Mears vs. Johncock.

Made all the better by Jabba the Foyt getting taken out by that damned Coogan. :laugh:

skaven
11-04-05, 01:50 PM
'85 spin and win. :thumbup:

I was the goofy kid wearing a Danny Sullivan t-shirt in the north short chute. Old K stands I believe.

1980 was my first race. We were in the south short chute in my uncle's compound under the huge confederate flag. Uncle is now a NASCAR fan. :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-04-05, 04:27 PM
Watching Juan Pablo wipe the floor with the HURL regulars.Ditto, plus when Helio won as a CART driver. More mop ups.

RacinM3
11-04-05, 04:36 PM
1989 - Fittipaldi puts Unser Jr. in the wall on the last lap on his way to victory. 2 go in. 1 comes out.

fourrunner
11-04-05, 04:36 PM
Anytime that Carnegie said "Michael Andretti Sloooows on the backstretch!!"

It had such a nice poetic gutteral sound that only Carnegie could give ! ;)

Of course I'm lying .. back in those days I was a huge Michael Andretti Fan ... and those words broke my heart ... but as I look back they look like a prophetic gift that maybe he got his comeuppence before his switch .. anyway I didn't appreciate those words then but I sure do now !! :thumbup:

cart7
11-04-05, 04:44 PM
1989 - Fittipaldi puts Unser Jr. in the wall on the last lap on his way to victory. 2 go in. 1 comes out.

I was in B stand. The lap that happened the Pro-Unser crowd noise was deafening as they came down the main straight. This was before jumbotrons. We're all straining looking way up the main straight to see them come back around again when lo and behold, only Emmo comes through 4. Absolute disbelief by the crowd as we watched Jr's # start plummeting down the pylon. Finally saw what happened on the public address board. You couldn't hear Carnegie's call over the crowd.

Emmo was booed roundly. :laugh:

Dirty Sanchez
11-04-05, 04:59 PM
Hakkinen's final win.

theunions
11-04-05, 05:03 PM
As a fan: the Mario and Nephew Jacques wins (even though the former preceeded my birth by two years).

As someone more involved: being there to see one of my favorite drivers qualify a car on Bubble Day with his dad's number on it on the 40th anniversary year of his dad's death, then making the show on Bubble Day again the following year; being there to see another one of my favorites make his three attempts...one of which ALMOST got him in (but it was a blast nonetheless).

Sean O'Gorman
11-04-05, 05:24 PM
When TG crashed his helicopter into the pagoda.

fourrunner
11-04-05, 05:31 PM
When TG crashed his helicopter into the pagoda.

I had that "Dream" too!!!

Is that wrong??? ;)

chop456
11-04-05, 05:33 PM
Hakkinen's final win.

Good point. Can I change my answer?

mapguy
11-04-05, 05:52 PM
Hakkinen's final win.

That and Tracy's 02 win are my top picks. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
11-04-05, 06:10 PM
1 Emo and Lil Al (sans shots of the wife)
2 Mears Andretti (sans shots of the wife)
3 Mears Johncock
4 Jacques 95
5 Spin and win
6 Donahue 72
7 Andretti 69

Can't put any of the CART wins in the IRL near the top for two reasons:

1 The cars are too easy to drive. Watching Mears and others of the era throw the cars into the turn and let it drift all the way out to the wall is heart stopping. And it takes real talent to hit the marks just right while judging tirewear and grip and fighting fear.

2 I am too pissed the entire race (even if PT and JPM are winning) about just how screwed up the whole racing deal is.

Winston Wolfe
11-04-05, 09:38 PM
Ernie Irvan and Jeffy battling it out for the last 7-10 laps at the Brickyard 400... one of the first ones, maybe 94-96.... Irvan only changed two tires, I believe and held off Jeffy as long as he could.... they were drifting out the wall EVERY single corner and working the wheel like you read about !!!
It was back when it seemed like the better driver and teams won, before all of the common template, chassis, restrictor plate, common wheel lug nut, fuel filler release cap, shock rate, rear end, front end nose template ******** that is now such a part of NASCAR....

oh yeah, and when Emmo took out Lil Al as well.... those guys were going at it, until "2 went in.... one came out"....

JLMannin
11-04-05, 11:07 PM
I have several.

1992 Indy 500, the only one I attended in person. I was on the inside of the short chute between 3 and 4, couldn't see ****, but was as excited as I had ever been before having children. The duel between Unser Jr and Goodyear was fantastic. As was Luyendyk saying on TV the "some backmarker" cut down on him , took the air of his wings, and caused him to chash. The back-marker was Jabba the Foyt
The 1990 Indy 500, when Arie Luyendyk had competitive equipment for the first time and took the win
The 1989 race when Emmo changed the 500 forever by running hard from the drop of the green flag, not sudt the last 20 to 40 laps
Juan Montoya and his "trick fuel hose"
Just about any 500 that Rick Mears was in

DagoFast
11-04-05, 11:18 PM
1998 is my favorite.

I did not watch. I did not listen on the radio. Later, when I heard Unda A. Cheeber won, I knew it was truly over, indy was dead to me.

Eddie set me free. :thumbup:

Rob
11-04-05, 11:47 PM
The 1992 500 was a brutal crash-fest, but the last 20 laps were incredible. What a thrilling finish.

TippyGomez
11-05-05, 12:18 AM
*dave argablight mode*

It was a crisp spring morning, the kind of dawn that reminds one of those days when the milkman would deposit fresh cream with Mom after Dad went to the dental floss factory. Something special was in the air, pungent and sweaty. I was on my way to the big Speedway down in Indianapolis Town, the storied track where legends are born.

Since the dawn of the new era which sprung from the fertile mind of Terre Haute's luckiest load absorption ever recorded, I had wished to see my short track hero's once again compete for the immortal fame which came from a win at "the big one."

Tyce Carlson was just that man. obese, unintelligent and untalented, Tyce had plied his trade on the bullrings as far flung as Mount Lawn. He once was on the same race track as the legendary Rich Vogler (and others Im told) and with the formation of the Indy Racin' League was about to lock horns with the likes of some of quarter midget racings finest. With only thirty two entries it was going to be tough to lock into the field of thirty three.

The tension mounted. Tyce sweated out a run by Billy Roe, fifteen miles off the pole speed. Then it was some beaner named Velez who tripped the clocks in yomen fashion. Next up was Tyce.......... there were four cars left and five starting slots still open..... you could cut the air with a pocket fisherman., er knife. Ten miles is all it takes hero, just ten miles. The crowd gasped as lap after agonizing lap was reeled off by magic man Tyce. Checkerd flag! He's IN!!
The people in the tower terrace were estatic, with all twenty of them clapping and running in unison for the facilties.

A tear rolled down my cheek as Tony removed his poon shovel. I got off the floor of the suite and hurried down to the grid just in time to see Tyce's steed rolled past the inspection area. I knew I had seen magic, Indy Magic, the kind of magic that the Hulman Family has under patent. Thoes were the days fans, those glorious wonderful nobody there who gave a crap days.

see you at the races :gomer:

rabbit
11-05-05, 03:13 AM
:rofl:

Michaelhatesfans
11-05-05, 03:37 AM
When Michelin pulled out, leaving six cars to start the race, and all of those people who gave Tony George their money got what they deserved. Talk about instant karma.

greenie
11-05-05, 04:27 AM
A tear rolled down my cheek as Tony removed his poon shovel.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's something don't see everyday. :thumbup:

FCYTravis
11-05-05, 08:56 AM
Tippy :rofl:

cart7
11-05-05, 09:09 AM
:rofl: Brilliant Tip, Brilliant. :thumbup:

chop456
11-05-05, 10:47 AM
The last true journalist. :thumbup:

Edward R. Murrow isn't the one that deserves the biopic.

fourrunner
11-05-05, 11:43 AM
Still Laughing ... !!! :thumbup:

Winston Wolfe
11-05-05, 06:49 PM
*dave argablight mode*
The tension mounted. Tyce sweated out a run by Billy Roe, fifteen miles off the pole speed. Then it was some beaner named Velez who tripped the clocks in yomen fashion. Next up was Tyce.......... there were four cars left and five starting slots still open..... you could cut the air with a pocket fisherman., er knife. see you at the races :gomer:

THAT, my friends, is some seriously funny schtuff.... Tippy for President ! :D :rofl:

NismoZ
11-06-05, 09:27 AM
Holy cr...Who IS that guy! :thumbup:

RTKar
11-06-05, 03:18 PM
95, the last one they ran.

Rocketdoc
11-06-05, 07:29 PM
My favorite is when Roger Penske, along with Penske Financial, finally signed the papers from the "Mari" Hulman broad, and took over ownership of the IMS.

The same day that Tony George had to have extensive nasal surgery to rebuild the inner surfaces of his nose and synuses. As a result of the "addlement" of his frontaal cortex and his double digit I. Q., he needed no anesthetic for the extensive surgery.

In his statement, Penske says that finally, the "Speedway" will be able to return to its former position in the racing world, and upon his retirement, ownership of the IMS will go into a National Trust. governed by a board of directors that will exclude from membership or influence, anyone even remotely related to the Hulman-George incestuary, or has ever participated in the defunct IRL, or anyone whoever participated or attended one of their "shows", or owned an IRL decal, or took part as an IRL sycophant on any biased forum that begins with "T" and ends in "M", or has been called "Crackforum".

The Speedway will go back to exactly one race per year, the Indy 500, and it shall be protected from political manipualtions and offer itself as the cornerstone of open wheeled racing in America.

It would be permissable for a former winning driver (prior to 1995) to have his ashes dispersed on to the IMS track from a minimum altitude of 1000 feet. The closest any ashes from anyone included in the Hulman-George incestuary or a former IRL fan, with the decals and all the other stuff, is no further than the gutter that surronds the Speedway.

Oh... you want something that already happened....

Never mind.

Yo' Tippy.

Methanolandbrats
11-06-05, 09:10 PM
Post 95 my favorite moment is when Gomer hauls hauls his meat up the steps yet again and belts out The Gomer Anthem as Florence Henderson drives by.