PDA

View Full Version : Little bit o' ranting

anait
11-03-05, 04:47 PM
People can be entirely horrid. No surprises, we're all aware of this fact...but when it jumps up and smacks you in the face and laughs as you stand there shocked and angry and trying to be soothing to your kids, sometimes you just wanna go postal on the bullies.

Sometime last night or evening, someone walked right up to our front steps and stole three of the four Halloween pumpkins - the ones the three younger kids had helped make. They left our oldest's Bionicle mask one. I discovered this when I looked out the front door this morning. When I took the youngest to preschool this afternoon, I saw that the pumpkins had been smashed and distributed over about three blocks.

I printed out a nice little note to put up on the mailboxes, but figure it would just make things worse if they see it and get mad. I'd rather not have a brick through my window next.

So I'll just hug the kids even more today, and maybe carve some extra ones that we can take a pic of.

I know this is a miniscule happening in the grand scheme of things...but when you're trying to explain to your children why someone would steal and destroy something they made, right from their front deck, it bites.

Andrew Longman
11-03-05, 05:06 PM
It happened to me when I was kid. I remember how I felt. It was horrid.

I have kids of my own and I know how they'd feel.

If its worth anything, if it happened nearly forty years ago and it happened again now, maybe the world is not getting worse. It still stinks when it happens though.

Ankf00
11-03-05, 05:12 PM
next time house a family of skunks inside the pumpkins, when the kids take pick it up and shake it around...*squirt*

KLang
11-03-05, 06:28 PM
If its worth anything, if it happened nearly forty years ago and it happened again now, maybe the world is not getting worse. It still stinks when it happens though.

Yep, when I was a wee lad growing up in Cleveland (Fairview Park actually) it happened every year. As I recall it was the junior high and high school kids doing it.

Wabbit
11-03-05, 07:53 PM
Why I fear putting the nice pumpkins on the porch. :shakehead

WickerBill
11-03-05, 07:56 PM
There's this band.... oh nevermind.

Yes, it stinks -- especially for the kids.

This year my father-in-law grew his own pumpkins, and brought the biggest one to our house. It was about 110 lbs. If they are gonna smash it, they're gonna smash it on my porch, with the lights on....

Anteater
11-03-05, 09:33 PM
:flame: Punks! Sorry to hear about the destruction of your little guys' pumpkins. There's always a couple of these incidents in my neighborhood every year.

cartman
11-04-05, 12:01 PM
I got sick of this bullcrap as well. That's why I don't carve mine anymore, I draw all the faces on them with a black Sharpie or permanent marker. A lot harder to smash with all the guts still inside.

Methanolandbrats
11-04-05, 12:44 PM
If you're gonna spend a lot of time on family gourd art, ya gotta bring em in at night. That's the only solution. I learned that the hard way when my kids were little.

SteveH
11-04-05, 05:06 PM
Maybe 12 years ago, some jr. high boys in costumes came to our door for candy. I gave them a handfull and as they left they thought I wasn't watching and kicked in oour pumpkins. I threw open the door and chased them down. Caught one in the back yard and scared the bejeebers out of the rest. The one I caught gave me the names of the rest. So I called their house and talked with each boy's parents. One dad refused to believe his son would kick in a pumpkin. :gomer:

My boys thought is was great to see me call their houses.

Trick or treat. :laugh: