PDA

View Full Version : Penske closing shop

nrc
11-01-05, 10:01 AM
Penske will close their Reading, PA IRL shop after the 2006 season. They'll move their IRL operation to their NASCAR shop in Charlotte.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051101/SPORTS01/511010461/1004/SPORTS

Chitowncartfreak
11-01-05, 10:15 AM
Assuming there is an .1RL operation after 2006...

NismoZ
11-01-05, 10:27 AM
dang...I'm so SLOW! :(

Methanolandbrats
11-01-05, 10:49 AM
I know someone on one of those teams and let's just say the day they moved from CART to the IRL was bad, but this is much, much worse.

racer2c
11-01-05, 11:01 AM
Penske's Indy-car team has about 90 employees, most of whom are Pennsylvania natives. Cindric doesn't know how many people will follow the team.
"It's one of those things where it depends what seat you're sitting in," he said. "A lot of people are from this area and don't want to leave. But there are people who are really looking forward to the opportunity of being in an environment where there are other racing (programs)."

In other words, if you come with us, we may find a spot for you on the stock car or sports car team...maybe.

Honda in the same garage as Penske's stock cars with a Honda plant a stone throw away in SC. Hmm.

NismoZ
11-01-05, 11:32 AM
There's no "Hmmmm..." about it.

racer2c
11-01-05, 11:40 AM
There's no "Hmmmm..." about it.

:gomer:

Andrew Longman
11-01-05, 12:34 PM
In other words, if you come with us, we may find a spot for you on the stock car or sports car team...maybe.

Honda in the same garage as Penske's stock cars with a Honda plant a stone throw away in SC. Hmm.

The Honda plant in SC assembles ATVs. A little down the road in GA they make lawnmowers. Neither would be much help unless I miss your point.

As sad as this is, and it breaks long and deep ties with the Lehigh Valley (Penske gives a ton to Lehigh University), this just shows how the world of racing is being consumed by NASCAR. The NC shop used to be the satellite shop and now they want to make it the centerpiece display of their racing empire. It is all the trend now to make your shop a "destination" that attracts fans, tourists and sponsors.

True commentary of TG vision that the shop in Reading is not a sufficient "attraction" anymore.

pchall
11-01-05, 12:51 PM
Damn. Reading, PA used to be an important place in the racing universe and Pimpske has killed that.

Just think of what was done there in the 60s and early 70s.

It is sad to see a legend go into self-immolation mode for the money. :(

Dr. Corkski
11-01-05, 01:01 PM
Condensing is progress. :gomer:

SteveH
11-01-05, 01:05 PM
Roger probably can't afford to run it as a stand alone operation, especially after Marlboro pulls out.

Steve99
11-01-05, 03:59 PM
This will make it easier to transition the EARL team members who move down to a racing program that Penske sees some value in.

Wheel-Nut
11-01-05, 04:06 PM
http://www.penskeracing.com/boat_graphics/TemplateSites/DTS/DealerLibraries/7522/febays.jpg
Penske Racing South's new state-of-the-art facility in Mooresville, N.C., was constructed for performance but with style. Equipped with the first-class, corporate sheen indicative of Penske Corporation, the two buildings totaling 424,697 square feet are nestled on 105 acres.

Penske's three NASCAR teams occupy 240,781 square feet – 8 acres - of the complex. Fans can stroll through a 4,986-square-foot gift shop, where they may purchase souvenirs of their favorite Penske drivers or Penske Racing merchandise, and then watch the crews prepare for upcoming NEXTEL Cup races from a 330-foot fan walk.

One million pounds of Italian floor tile – 250,000 pieces – provide the flooring in the administrative and shop areas, while more than 1,000 linear feet of Kodak graphics give a special glimpse into the team's history.

Within the next year, Penske Motorsports, which will field two Porsches in the American Le Mans Series, will also call the Penske Racing campus home.

Like him or hate him, he sure "keeps" a nice shop!

oddlycalm
11-01-05, 05:52 PM
It is all the trend now to make your shop a "destination" that attracts fans, tourists and sponsors. You're a master of understatement. It's an entirely new economic model. Since there is nothing innovative going on in a NASCAR race shop, and the small details that are secret are so small as to be well hidden, there is no reason that the public can't be allowed in the door. Everything in that race shop is on display for the public to see and to facilitate business to business selling opportunities. One might ask how they can afford all this, even with rich sponsorship contracts.

Let me give a single example of how the economics of this works. First take Cosworth who must run a secure facility as there is actually engineering of significance going on as well as process development. A few years back they paid just shy of $1 million for their indexing wheelhead cam lobe grinding machine as delivered and fully tooled and slightly more for the crankpin grinder. Then they paid for their personnel to get trained on the machine.

Meanwhile, some NASCAR teams are getting their lobe grinders provided for free. Nothing really innovative being done, so it can be open to viewing. The machine builder not only provided the machine, but paid to tool it as well (another 30%-50% of the machine price), install it, add auto-size gaging and automatic balancing, as well as bring independent process consultants to show them what to do. The same is true of their row of machining centers, turning machines, surface grinders, and just about everything else of value in that shop. Some tool providers get display space on the car while others are allowed to bring in prospective customers to show of their goods in a glamorous facility and get a glowing recommendation from the team personnel. In return the team gets a $5-$10 million machine and fabrication shop at little cost to themselves other than the building to put it in.

At these Disneylands for NASCAR fans no commercial opportunities are overlooked, however small. The techs that support it are kept happy with a gaggle of team trinkets and if a difficult situation that requires long hours happens to arise, a few driver autographed items and some race tickets smooth the way.

The smaller teams get none of this, and have to pay their own way, however one can buy nearly everything one needs to build and run a car.

I would be less that honest if I didn't admit to taking advantage of these arrangments myself. Giving out race tickets to customers has always been a popular spiff, but actually taking them to a show palace race shop to show them our product in production and dazzle them a little is way too good to pass up. I obviously can't talk about the teams or sponsors business openly, but if you know who the big teams are you already know anyway.

oc

Rocketdoc
11-01-05, 06:37 PM
http://www.penskeracing.com/boat_graphics/TemplateSites/DTS/DealerLibraries/7522/febays.jpg
Penske Racing South's new state-of-the-art facility in Mooresville, N.C., was constructed for performance but with style. Equipped with the first-class, corporate sheen indicative of Penske Corporation, the two buildings totaling 424,697 square feet are nestled on 105 acres.

Penske's three NASCAR teams occupy 240,781 square feet – 8 acres - of the complex. Fans can stroll through a 4,986-square-foot gift shop, where they may purchase souvenirs of their favorite Penske drivers or Penske Racing merchandise, and then watch the crews prepare for upcoming NEXTEL Cup races from a 330-foot fan walk.

One million pounds of Italian floor tile – 250,000 pieces – provide the flooring in the administrative and shop areas, while more than 1,000 linear feet of Kodak graphics give a special glimpse into the team's history.

Within the next year, Penske Motorsports, which will field two Porsches in the American Le Mans Series, will also call the Penske Racing campus home.

Like him or hate him, he sure "keeps" a nice shop!

Have you seen the engine room of his little dingy, "The Detroit Eagle"?

Twin, massive V16, twin turbo (as large as 747 tires) Detroit Deisels with a giant, polished, chrome, gas turbine for backup.
One could drag one's tongue across the engine room floor without tasting anything bad.

Of course, "one" would be pretty dumb doing it....

Wally
11-01-05, 06:56 PM
nascrap version of garage mahal...... :shakehead

TKGAngel
11-01-05, 08:14 PM
nascrap version of garage mahal...... :shakehead

I thought the 'garage mahal' was what they called either Childress' shop or DEI, since it was the first big, bright shiny shop like that. I could be wrong...

JohnHKart
11-02-05, 06:13 PM
I thought "Holy ****" when I saw that Penske garage pic....thanks for posting. Wow.

John

cameraman
11-02-05, 07:02 PM
Have you seen the engine room of his little dingy, "The Detroit Eagle"?

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/library/graphics/january02/PMY0102DE10.jpg

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/library/graphics/january02/PMY0102DE8rt.jpg
3,650-hp MTU-DDC 16V4000s

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/library/graphics/january02/PMY0102DE9rt.jpg
5,650-hp Detroit Diesel TF50 gas gas turbine.

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/library/graphics/january02/pmy0102DE1rtp.jpg

fourrunner
11-02-05, 07:07 PM
Not really new Idea in general

Back in the 1970's Mack Truck built a "State of the Art" Fire Engine, and Heavy Equipment Truck Plant in Macungie, Pennsylvania .... The had Overhead "Visitors" Walkways around the whole Plant and Gave Regularly Scheduled Tours every day ... Best Part of the Tour was watching the Artists hand painting the Letters & Gold Leaf on the Fire Trucks ( in those days it was all hand done )

The Tour ended in the Mack Truck Gift Shop where the sold everything possible with the Mack Truck "Bulldog" on it ... I still have my Gold "Cross" Pen & Pencil set with the Bulldogs on the Pocket Clip .... They had over a thousand different items with the Logo prominently displayed and "Built Like a Mack Truck" everywhere !

Every time I made a Sales Call at "World Headquarters" then in Allentown, Pennsylvania... they pinned a Bulldog lapel pin on you ( Receptionists were Model Types ... gorgeous ... I didn't want to leave the Lobby ) ... I gave them away I had so many !

RichK
11-02-05, 07:09 PM
... they pinned a Bulldog lapel pin on you ( Receptionists were Model Types ... gorgeous ... I didn't want to leave the Lobby ) ... I gave them away I had so many !

The models or the pins? :)

fourrunner
11-02-05, 07:20 PM
The models or the pins? :)

Badumpbump !! ;) ( My proof reader is off today )

In my dreams ... I kept the models for myself !! :D

Rogue Leader
11-02-05, 08:09 PM
Garagemahal was the DEI shop's nickname...

forurunner if you have any more of those pins i would buy some off ya!