PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to the "Old Country"...

indyfan31
11-01-05, 12:53 AM
... well, not MY old country, but it is really old.

The wife and I going to Athens wednesday (Greece, not Georgia). Any pearls of wisdom from the World Travelers here at OC?

btw, the main reason for the trip is because I'm running the Athens Marathon, it seemed like a good enough reason to fly to the other side of the planet.

Methanolandbrats
11-01-05, 08:59 AM
GReat food, nice people...running the REAL marathon. Wow, have fun!

racer2c
11-01-05, 09:26 AM
Don't let your wife out of your sight.

skaven
11-01-05, 10:58 AM
Have fun and some eat some curry kabobs. Much yum and better than corny dogs for sure :thumbup:

I was in the Alps last month for an eco-challenge (running and mountain biking stages) and fell in love with Europe. You'll have a great time.

Done Bad Water??? Lemme know when you come out this aways for the Pike's Peak Marathon. :)

I read that the original course goes through cow fields and cuts across the countryside, etc. I read an article by a "guerrilla marathoner" who ran what historians suppose is the original course by moonlight.

Oh, one last thing... if anyone asks, tell them you're from Canada. ;)

chop456
11-01-05, 11:36 AM
My father-in-law is there right now. One of his traveling companions twisted/injured her knee getting off the plane and is spending the rest of the trip in a wheelchair.

Don't do that. :D

Andrew Longman
11-01-05, 12:55 PM
My father in law just got back. My wife's family is Greek. Lovely gracious hospitable people. Just don't cross them. ;)

My father in law's famiily is from a little island near Turkey. He sent word ahead to a distant cousin that he was coming in hopes that he could show him his grandfathers house, etc.

The first morning he was there he realized the entire village now knew he was coming. He was stopped three times that morning within a few blocks and "invited" in for coffee and Metaxa (try it!). If you know Greeks you know there is no saying no. He was looped by lunch and he hadn't yet made half the walk to his cousin's house.

Enjoy and eat well. The food is so wonderful and so healthy.

chop456
11-01-05, 12:57 PM
Metaxa's good. I've had my share of that stuff. More than my share on a few occasions. :D

Anteater
11-01-05, 06:23 PM
Everybody say "Opa"! I've never been to Greece, but good luck on your marathon! Very cool to be able run it in the country of origin. :cool:

Ankf00
11-01-05, 06:49 PM
however to be truly authentic, you are required to stab 7 persians with your bronze broadsword at the start of your journey. :)

indyfan31
11-01-05, 07:12 PM
Have fun ... check
Watch the wife ... check
Eat kabobs. Beauty eh? ... check
Eat metaxa ... check
Don't be a klutz ... check
Have more fun ... check
Kill some Persians .... um, will Iranians do?

Between the digital camera and my heel spur it won't be the fastest race I've ever done, but I'm sure I'll never forget it.

Anyway, excellent tips and wishes from all, thanks a bunch everybody (no wonder I like this place :thumbup: )

L1P1
11-01-05, 08:19 PM
Have fun and some eat some curry kabobs.

But carefully check the arithmetic on the check. You never know when Larry might be in a bind.

chop456
11-02-05, 12:09 AM
Eat metaxa ... check

http://www.proefgriekenland.nl/images/metaxa_brand.jpg

Since you're a rookie, I'd try drinking it first. ;)

Michaelhatesfans
11-05-05, 01:10 AM
Crap, I didn't see this in time to warn them about the suicidal taxi drivers....

indyfan31
11-17-05, 12:30 AM
Well, I'm back. I survived the souvlaki, sadziki, metaxa, frappe, fried potatoes, ouzo, yogurt & honey, olives, little fried fish, lots of fried cheese, the metro, the tram, the buses, the taxis, the Plaka, the sights, the sounds, the smells ... and, oh yeah, the RACE. We enjoyed every minute of it, it was the best vacation I've ever had. :thumbup: (Guess what? I only gained ONE POUND!)

Thanks y'all for the bits of advice. BTW, the taxi drivers behaved themselves.

OPA!

skaven
11-17-05, 10:06 PM
Welcome back. Glad you had a good time. :thumbup:

As you can see, nothing much changed here...

RHR_Fan
11-17-05, 11:21 PM
What was your time for the marathon? I'm thinking of doing a half-marathon in May.

~Nicole

indyfan31
11-18-05, 12:14 AM
I wasn't going for a fast time since I've got a case of plantar fasciitis and I was taking pictures along the way, but I still managed a 4:36:48 (and my first negative split!), which was a pleasant surprise.

Are you running the "Mad City" race?

TravelGal
11-18-05, 01:11 AM
So glad to see what a great time you had. Now you are all prepared for the ChampCar race in 2007/08/?? You're an expert! Welcome home!

Write more when you have time or PM me all the gory travel details. I love to read everything I can from people who've actually BEEN to a place I haven't.

Dirty Sanchez
11-18-05, 11:47 AM
Now you are all prepared for the ChampCar race in 2007/08/??Greek Grand Prix. How fitting that they'd host a race where the fans are already used to taking it up the arse :laugh:

RHR_Fan
11-18-05, 01:24 PM
I wasn't going for a fast time since I've got a case of plantar fasciitis and I was taking pictures along the way, but I still managed a 4:36:48 (and my first negative split!), which was a pleasant surprise.

Are you running the "Mad City" race?

Awesome! Good for you. :thumbup:

I am thinking of running the Mad City race. I have a friend who has done it a few times and since I run pretty often now I figure why not give it a shot.

~Nicole

skaven
11-18-05, 02:44 PM
Greek Grand Prix. How fitting that they'd host a race where the fans are already used to taking it up the arse :laugh:

Nice... that is one place my fiance won't go on our honeymoon. :laugh:

She is suggesting Thailand though... :eek:

Ankf00
11-18-05, 03:12 PM
Nice... that is one place my fiance won't go on our honeymoon. :laugh:

She is suggesting Thailand though... :eek:

meh, do Vietnam...

and bring me back a Ho Chi Mihn tshirt (sister just came back from there empty handed despite my requests :mad: ), so I can sport that **** in front of the feds at work :D

indyfan31
11-18-05, 03:20 PM
...Write more when you have time or PM me all the gory travel details. I love to read everything I can from people who've actually BEEN to a place I haven't.
Gory travel details....let's see.
We're moving through the Frankfurt airport (which I'm logging as a training run), we come the Passport Inspection window. A very stern looking German officer wags his finger at me to come up to the window. I hand over my passport, he scans it then looks at me, at the passport, me, the passport. Then with a concerned look he starts READING the passport. Then I remember, airport people don't like HATS, so I take mine of and try not to look guilty of anything. He face softens a little, he points at my passport and says "Zat is nut a very gud pikture". I agreed with him and he said "Zank you, Auf Wiedersehen". I have a newfound appreciation for the German sense of humor now. :rofl:

skaven
11-18-05, 03:46 PM
meh, do Vietnam...

and bring me back a Ho Chi Mihn tshirt (sister just came back from there empty handed despite my requests :mad: ), so I can sport that **** in front of the feds at work :D

I OWN a Ho Chi Mihn shirt. Fiance got it for me when she was in China along with the "Danger Cambodian Mines" shirt I wore to Gingerman. :)

So as not to highjack this thread, I need to compliment Indyfan31 on his negative split. I guess those ultras paid off. :thumbup:

I had a negative split at Pike's Peak marathon, 4:20 to climb 13+ miles and 7,000+' to the top and only 2:22 back down to Manitou Springs and cold beer. I think that is the norm though on that course.

Anteater
11-21-05, 08:33 PM
I wasn't going for a fast time since I've got a case of plantar fasciitis
What, you too? We should compare treatment remedies! It sounds like you did a fine job in spite of the PF. :thumbup: