PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Winston Cup replacement?

mapguy
03-19-03, 12:17 PM
Dunno if this has been discussed before. A friend of mine who is a big NASCAR fan asked me if I think that Pepsi will step in to replace Winston as the title sponsor for Cup racing next year. I thought that it might be Coke as they are already the official soft drink of NASCAR.

RW? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Turn7
03-19-03, 12:31 PM
I honestly think it will remain Winston until the current contract is up.

Nascar isn't going to let the title sponsor change without getting as much money or probably more and I don't see a industry other than tobacco willing to spend the amount of money to take over.

Racewriter
03-19-03, 01:05 PM
Pepsi has been rumored for a couple of years. But there are other companies who have expressed interest, including Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola, etc.

Rest assured, there are sponsors waiting in the wings. Given the advertising restrictions on tobacco, it could work out as a positive - could you imagine what Winston's leveraging of NASCAR via TV would look like if they were allowed?

KobySon
03-19-03, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
I honestly think it will remain Winston until the current contract is up.

Nascar isn't going to let the title sponsor change without getting as much money or probably more and I don't see a industry other than tobacco willing to spend the amount of money to take over.

I don't know anything about when the contract expires, but isn't there tobacco legislation coming next year, or the year after that prohibits tob. co. sponsorship?

DjDrOmusic
03-19-03, 02:43 PM
Everybody laughed at me when I floated it, and I admit it was done, at the time, tongue in cheek, but the NASCAR Toyota Cup just seems more and more possible to me everyday!

Wheel-Nut
03-19-03, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
Everybody laughed at me when I floated it, and I admit it was done, at the time, tongue in cheek, but the NASCAR Toyota Cup just seems more and more possible to me everyday!

I was thinking the same thing before I read your post. Talk about a revolt in the South!!

chop456
03-19-03, 04:04 PM
Stuckey's.

pchall
03-19-03, 06:16 PM
It's time for The Hooter's Cup to go big time roundy-roundy. ;)

DjDrOmusic
03-20-03, 02:21 AM
A new thought....

Victoria's Secret presents the Nascar "Wonder" Cups presented by Clevite Lifters!!:gomer: :saywhat: :shakehead ;)

Just imagine the trophy!!!:D