PDA

View Full Version : Greg

Jervis Tetch 1
10-31-05, 12:23 PM
I hope this thread isn't too late, but I wanted to remember one of the best drivers I had the pleasure to see.

I'm always sad that I didn't get to see him race several times and compete for the championship in the time from 2000 to now and beyond.

I'll never forget. :(

Gangrel
10-31-05, 12:24 PM

rabbit
10-31-05, 12:34 PM
For the first time since 1999, the date Oct. 31 didn't register with me when I looked at the calendar this morning.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. :(

JoeBob
10-31-05, 12:45 PM
A day I'll never forget.

devilmaster
10-31-05, 12:46 PM
mms://media.tsn.ca/racing/moore/moore_tribute_show.asf

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/moore3.jpg

Winston Wolfe
10-31-05, 12:58 PM
Always remember and never forget. #99

I was there that day he last raced, and remember when walking out of the speedway the afternoon before, when everyone else was done.... and hearing a single car circle the track... it was Greg, checking to see if he could "steer" with the bandage\cast on his wrist. I also remember seeing Roberto Moreno being fitted for a seat in the Players Garage area a bit earlier, in the event that Greg couldnt or wouldnt be able to drive....

Every once in a while, you have to think what could have been, if it was Greg who had made it to Team Penske for the 2000 season, with Honda power... Greg and Gil would have been quite a team...

Wheel-Nut
10-31-05, 01:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/GREG1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/moore-montoya.jpg

devilmaster
10-31-05, 01:54 PM
"But perhaps the best thing to say at a time like this, is simply, thank you.

Thank you Greg, for some wonderful racing memories.
Thank you, for making us proud to be Canadians every time you raced,
and every time you stood on that top step of the podium.
And Thank you, for being a perfect ambassador, in the understated, Canadian way.

Yes, that's it. The best thing to say at a time like this...

Is Thank You, Greg Moore." - Vic Rauter

spirit_of_99
10-31-05, 02:55 PM
It hasn't ever been the same without you, 99.

RaceCat
10-31-05, 05:28 PM
This date doesn't pass each year without a sadness in my heart! He will be missed always.

RaceCat

Gangrel
10-31-05, 06:16 PM
It occurred to me yesterday that the happiest and the saddest things that have ever happened to me as a sports fan have both occurred in October. The happiest occurred a week ago tomorrow, and the saddest happened on October 31, 1999.

It is still hard for me to think about that day without getting choked up. I promised myself back then that I would not entertain what-if scenereos...too painful to think about what could have been.

We'll never find a replacement for Greg. The best we can hope for is to continue to have a crop of drivers who carry on his spirit week-in and week-out.

I know if there are checkered flags where Greg is now, he is screaming to the start-finish to take them every day!

Chitowncartfreak
10-31-05, 07:00 PM
Six years later and I still have a hard time believing that it actually happened. Racing has not been the same for me since 10/31/99. Every time I see an accident, regardless of the series, I feel sick.

RIP Greg - A Legacy of Spirit :(

dando
10-31-05, 07:50 PM
Greg is P1 upstairs. :cool:

I'll never forget his spin and save in T2 @ THE US 500. That was the stuff of legend. :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut, thx for posting the flip photo. I had lost that after a hard drive crash several mos. ago.

-Kevin

JohnHKart
10-31-05, 08:11 PM
I just woke up and that's the first thing I remembered....and I can hear Steve Olvey's sad words with great clarity as well as Gary Gerould's and Jon Beekhuis's. I was not at the race that day but just off shore on my cruise ship and it was such a beautiful day until that happened. Can never forget it.

John

Gangrel
10-31-05, 10:37 PM
Greg is P1 upstairs. :cool:

I'll never forget his spin and save in T2 @ THE US 500. That was the stuff of legend. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Or his spin and backwards ride down the front straight at Rio... :thumbup:

cartman
10-31-05, 11:25 PM
I was still working for CART at the time when it happened. I don't think any of us spoke at the office for about 3 days, we just didn't know what to say.

I have a very unique item. Shortly after the devastating events of that tragic day the Greg Moore Foundation was started. We were going to do some collectors pieces for the foundation, a hat, a shirt, a pin set, etc. One of the items was an Action Performance die-cast with the Players livery, but the GMF logo in place of all of the Players logos. I can't recall exactly why, but the program was scrapped. Before the program was scrapped however, Action produced one single prototype. It was sent to me for approval and shortly thereafter the wonderful Mr. Rahal :shakehead decided to close our office permanently. Fortunately the GMF prototype went home with me. It is now the center piece in my die-cast display case. I have toyed with the idea of putting it on ebay and donating the profits to the foundation (I don't think I could in good conscience keep the money) but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to part with it. I miss Greg, he was truly one for the ages.

indyfan31
11-01-05, 12:30 AM
That's a priceless piece of memorabilia Cartman, I don't think I could ever bring myself to part with it, at any price.

devilmaster
11-01-05, 02:57 AM
I have toyed with the idea of putting it on ebay and donating the profits to the foundation (I don't think I could in good conscience keep the money) but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to part with it. I miss Greg, he was truly one for the ages.

The foundation was closed either this year or the year before... So keep it and enjoy it. But please snap some photos and post them

www.gregmoore.com

cartman
11-01-05, 03:53 PM
The foundation was closed either this year or the year before... So keep it and enjoy it. But please snap some photos and post them

www.gregmoore.com

Too bad, I will keep it for sure then.

I'll snap some shots here in the next few days, but can I add an image that is on my computer to a post or does the image have to be hosted on a web site somewhere so it will have a url? If the latter is the case, does anyone know of any good free photo hosting sites? Better yet, could I email the pics to one of you guys that has a website?

I'd love for you guys to see this thing.

rabbit
11-01-05, 04:58 PM
Too bad, I will keep it for sure then.

I'll snap some shots here in the next few days, but can I add an image that is on my computer to a post or does the image have to be hosted on a web site somewhere so it will have a url? If the latter is the case, does anyone know of any good free photo hosting sites? Better yet, could I email the pics to one of you guys that has a website?

I'd love for you guys to see this thing.johnhullinger[AT]yahoo.com

theunions
11-01-05, 05:35 PM
The foundation was closed either this year or the year before...

Why did it close?

On yesterday's Fan590 tribute, they were certainly talking about it as if it was a current, active entity.

Image hosting: I haven't tried the others, but ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us) is pretty straightforward.

Methanolandbrats
11-01-05, 06:04 PM
Or his spin and backwards ride down the front straight at Rio... :thumbup: Also,turn 3 save at Milwaukee :thumbup: