PDA

View Full Version : Hornish Wins The '06 500!

NismoZ
10-31-05, 01:05 AM
I figure Penske can make his Hondas run better than AGR can, so Sam or Helio will win it...and a few others. Now, will Chip REALLY run Toyotas? He's screwed.

Lizzerd
10-31-05, 01:22 AM
Or, Honda will make the Hondas run as good as Penske wants them to run. For him. There's a new Honda boss in town, Mikey. Enjoy your championship.

Yeah, Cheap is screwed.

pchall
10-31-05, 08:03 AM
link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/20466/)

Penske to Honda for 2006 IRL Season

Written by: Robin Miller
Las Vegas, NV – 10/30/2005

... SPEEDTV.com has learned that Penske is dropping Toyota for Honda for the 2006 season, which more or less leaves Toyota with only Chip Ganassi's team to combat the manufacturer that has won 26 of the last 33 races, back-to-back IRL titles and two consecutive Indianapolis 500s.

Honda Performance Development's Robert Clarke admitted a few weeks ago that his company would be able to accomodate two more cars in '06 and Penske would be more than welcome because he left Honda on good terms after 2001.

It was confirmed over the weekend by a Penske insider that Helio Castroneves and Sam Hornish Jr. will be powered by Honda next year.

KLang
10-31-05, 10:22 AM
' Penske would be more than welcome because he left Honda on good terms after 2001.'

I wonder where this leaves Cheap in the future? I thought Honda hated him after he switched to Toyota.

Andrew Longman
10-31-05, 11:42 AM
If I were Target, Chip and Toyota, I'd simply call it quits now. What's the point?

Target can't be happy running at the back in the only Toyota in front of empty stands. Chip can't ask for enough money to pay for the smashed tubs. And Toyota doesn't get a lot of return on their investment losing week after week to Honda. Even if they had a competitive engine, simply by fact of how outnumbered they are, Toyota is simply buying bad publicity.

Toyota will be happier concentrating on NASCAR and Chip/Target will be much happier in CCWS and GA.

At best, run whatever existing engines and equipment he has left at the I500 and walk away from the rest of the IRL schedule.

I may be biased, but that seems the only smart play.

This does seem to answer the rumor of whether Penske is going to split his team between IRL and CCWS. As long as he has MArlboro I don't see that happening anyway since the sponsor can't run both.

racer2c
10-31-05, 12:18 PM
If I were Target, Chip and Toyota, I'd simply call it quits now. What's the point?

Target can't be happy running at the back in the only Toyota in front of empty stands. Chip can't ask for enough money to pay for the smashed tubs. And Toyota doesn't get a lot of return on their investment losing week after week to Honda. Even if they had a competitive engine, simply by fact of how outnumbered they are, Toyota is simply buying bad publicity.

Toyota will be happier concentrating on NASCAR and Chip/Target will be much happier in CCWS and GA.

At best, run whatever existing engines and equipment he has left at the I500 and walk away from the rest of the IRL schedule.

I may be biased, but that seems the only smart play.

This does seem to answer the rumor of whether Penske is going to split his team between IRL and CCWS. As long as he has MArlboro I don't see that happening anyway since the sponsor can't run both.

Isn't Toyota contractually obligated to supply engines in '06? But even if they are, I agree with you, I'd rather break the contract and get out rather than suck wind all year in a series I don't want to be in anyway.

pchall
10-31-05, 01:12 PM
Isn't Toyota contractually obligated to supply engines in '06? But even if they are, I agree with you, I'd rather break the contract and get out rather than suck wind all year in a series I don't want to be in anyway.

To¥ota is contractually obligated to offer engines for 2006. But if nobody wants to pay for them or run them, TRD is free to concentrate on developing that NASCRAP truck engine into the Cup weapon everyone fears.

Wally
10-31-05, 03:37 PM
So ya think old Clarky is going to leave Floyd twisting in the wind heh?
Guess this would explain all the rumors of late, poor Floyd. :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
10-31-05, 03:39 PM
If I were Toyota I would blatantly break all the rules!!

Andrew Longman
10-31-05, 05:07 PM
To¥ota is contractually obligated to offer engines for 2006. But if nobody wants to pay for them or run them, TRD is free to concentrate on developing that NASCRAP truck engine into the Cup weapon everyone fears.

Exactly. If I agreed to marry someone but she finds out she hates racing and I hate her cat and her Dad no longer wants to pay for the wedding, we can all agree to just forget it. :gomer:

Rocketdoc
11-01-05, 03:10 PM
If I were Toyota I would blatantly break all the rules!!

If I were Toyota (and that statment alone, frightens me....) I would think that breaking the HURL cotract is infinately better (and far cheaper in the long run) than looking like a turd engine supplier for a whole year.

Of course, Vision Racing would be out engines, and they'd loose that chance of a HURL 500 victory and the season championship (of course, a very secondary thing in HURL land).

Rocketdoc
11-01-05, 03:12 PM
Exactly. If I agreed to marry someone but she finds out she hates racing and I hate her cat and her Dad no longer wants to pay for the wedding, we can all agree to just forget it. :gomer:

Now you tell me....