PDA

View Full Version : INDY, The Road To F-1

NismoZ
10-30-05, 12:52 PM
For Wheldon, anyway? SPEED is saying he's gone when his contract expires Tuesday. Williams testing role, possible '07 ride.

RTKar
10-30-05, 01:01 PM
For Wheldon, anyway? SPEED is saying he's gone when his contract expires Tuesday. Williams testing role, possible '07 ride.

The name of Wheldon with the likes of Clark & Hill as Indy 500 winners :rolleyes:

NismoZ
10-30-05, 01:47 PM
I know... :rolleyes: , but what is the REASONING here? The desire to get an English driver? Couldn't possibly be Danny's proven, recently demonstrated expertise in a high-tech openwheel road racing series! Something else. BAR/Honda or a Honda "B" team? Is contracting F-1 drivers something like a real estate investment where you lock guys up for 2-5 years, speculating on their talent, then selling off the investment at a profit if you can't find a place for them? In, other words "hoarding" of property? Rosberg and Wheldon at Williams in '07? Seems to me as soon as a contract like this becomes certain, about 2-3 other guys start to worry about their NEXT contract. So, who does Wheldon worry, Webber, Pizzonia,?,?

Accipiter
10-30-05, 01:55 PM
Sorry, thats:

"INDY, The Road To an F-1 test drive with no guarantees of ever getting a shot at racing a car in anger." Goes to show how little regard for the IRL Wheldon has if he is willing to give up a championsip winning race seat for that.

NismoZ
10-30-05, 02:28 PM
I know what you mean by the 1st part of your statement, but it may also mean he's getting a lot more money and has MORE regard for his safety and racing future. (?) There must be bags of money involved and the lure of just racing in F-1, for a team that has only won one race in 2 years and dropped a notch this season, must be pretty strong. OR...being the HRL Champ and winning Indy doesn't mean squat! Maybe he'll run into KK if it turns out he'll end up with Cosworth power! :)

Winston Wolfe
10-30-05, 02:29 PM
Wll, but there again... the shopping and shoe selection is SO much better in Europe and the Far East than in the USofA.... I mean, think of the shopping options in Italy, France, London, and China... instead of Kentucky, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Illonois !!!! - Plus there are probably a few more of the "clubs" that Danny and his entourage would prefer... :p

EDwardo
10-30-05, 03:13 PM
The opportunity to become a pit babe in F1 must be the explanation!

TKGAngel
10-30-05, 03:18 PM
Or maybe he's just sick and tired of being the butt of Herta/Kanaan/Franchitti's jokes?

formulaben
10-30-05, 03:37 PM
I know... :rolleyes: , but what is the REASONING here? The desire to get an English driver?

Bingo! I think he's talented, but if I were an F1 team manager, I would certainly take Bourdais before ANYONE in the (g)IRL. But since Frank has a PR (and in turn a sponsorship) problem, he needs to rally the Brits around his team. He's the lone privateer now. Who woulda thunk it? Team Williams: The New Minardi... :saywhat:

coolhand
10-30-05, 04:54 PM
I think he may be bringing backing or money in some form.

oddlycalm
10-30-05, 06:59 PM
This is more a reflection on the EARL than anything else. Taking a job as a test driver over defending his titles is about as effective at showing his true feelings as pissing on TG's shoes. Speaks volumes about where AGR stands as well.

oc

fourrunner
10-30-05, 08:42 PM
I think he's just plain Humiliated that for all his accomplishments this season ... Danica Patrick the most mediocre of drivers got all the Press ... that people in Utah think Danica won the Indy 500 ... That nobody anywhere cares that he won the IRL Championship ....so Williams said he'd get more "Notice" in England being a Test Driver for him, than as the "gofer" for a 2nd rate female Diva !

overlandave
10-30-05, 10:56 PM
yeah, this isn't necessarily a shocker, but is a dumb move if made. and awful for the incredibly shrinking EARL

formulaben
10-30-05, 11:46 PM
yeah, this isn't necessarily a shocker, but is a dumb move if made. and awful for the incredibly shrinking EARL

I kind of agree with you, but on the other hand, do you think it is smart to stay in the IRL? I side with Rusty (http://www.autoweek.com:443/files/butwait/2003/1110_butwait.pdf) on this one...

pineapple
10-31-05, 01:23 AM
Frank Williams to run Honda engines in 2007. ;) :cool:

chop456
10-31-05, 11:29 AM
The fact that he's signed on to be Nico Rosberg's bitch should tell you something.

NismoZ
10-31-05, 04:39 PM
Today I'm reading he turned down a $3.5 mil. offer from AGR and some speculate he'll be #3 to Sato and Davidson at the new Honda "B" team. Actually in light of Williams denials (and his own) this makes more sense.

oddlycalm
10-31-05, 06:48 PM
Today Autosport is reporting that BMW is the outfit that is interested. Not what I would have expected, but then BMW may be having problems getting someone. It's unlikely the car will be anything to write home about the first year or two and the management track record they established while with Williams isn't the stuff of legends.

oc

NismoZ
11-01-05, 07:14 PM
Oh maaan! Now Indy TV is saying it IS Ganassi. Let's see: HRL Champ and Indy winner turns down $3.5 mil., takes step down to be the #1 TOYOTA driver? Nah. Chip WILL have Hondas? Eh. Chip and Danny coming to ChampCar by '07?

trauma1
11-03-05, 09:38 AM
Today Autosport is reporting that BMW is the outfit that is interested. Not what I would have expected, but then BMW may be having problems getting someone. It's unlikely the car will be anything to write home about the first year or two and the management track record they established while with Williams isn't the stuff of legends.

oc
btw it would be a payride, so this f1 thing is total BS

Jervis Tetch 1
11-03-05, 12:13 PM
The fact that he's signed on to be Nico Rosberg's bitch should tell you something. :thumbup:

Easy
11-03-05, 01:10 PM
btw it would be a payride, so this f1 thing is total BS

BMW driver #3 isn't a ride buy.

Williams #3 may be.

Either case he wouldn't be getting near the $3.5 mil that AGR apparently offered.

Andrew Longman
11-03-05, 01:28 PM
Oh maaan! Now Indy TV is saying it IS Ganassi. Let's see: HRL Champ and Indy winner turns down $3.5 mil., takes step down to be the #1 TOYOTA driver? Nah. Chip WILL have Hondas? Eh. Chip and Danny coming to ChampCar by '07?

If true, I'm saying it is even money that since Wheldon salary at AGR was Honda's they are just moving him to Target to spread the wealth a bit. I haven't heard, except on the last IRL race weekend that AGR will be fielding four cars again and at that time the assumption was Wheldon would be with them.

My bet is AGR goes to three and Toyota finds no buyers in 06 and effectively is out of the series.

If TCGR does do a few Champcar races it will be to simply please Target and Chip won't do it with his Honda driver.

oddlycalm
11-03-05, 07:48 PM
Either case he wouldn't be getting near the $3.5 mil that AGR apparently offered. Hence the humiliation for the EARL.

The only way this looks worse for the EARL world is when Wheldon announces he's rejected the $3.5 million because he would prefer to living in his parents basement and start a cat grooming business than to race in the EARL another year. :D

oc

trauma1
11-04-05, 04:41 PM
BMW driver #3 isn't a ride buy.

Williams #3 may be.

Either case he wouldn't be getting near the $3.5 mil that AGR apparently offered.
jungle boy said the test car is going to be a ride buyer

Easy
11-04-05, 05:25 PM
jungle boy said the test car is going to be a ride buyer

Reality and Pizzonia's public statements may or may not be the same thing in regards to the Williams Friday drive.

But the BMW 3rd seat is not for sale.

trauma1
11-08-05, 09:04 AM
easy , your right on that account, jungle boy said he thinks the 3rd williams will be a buy ride, the bmw however will be a non buy ride

Easy
11-08-05, 04:20 PM
Williams will need the extra cash for Rosberg's hair products.