PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Ohio announces Runoffs replacement

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-05, 11:37 AM
http://nasaproracing.com/

NATIONAL AUTO SPORT ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES CHAMPIONSHIP EVENT AT MID-OHIO SPORTS CAR COURSE

RICHMOND, CA (October 28, 2005) – The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) today announced a new multi-year partnership with Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and TrueSports, Inc. to host the amateur racing organization’s first-ever national championship event.

The inaugural NASA Championships will be held Sept. 11-17, 2006, at the Lexington, Ohio, road course. The event will feature road racing, time trials, autocross, drifting and rallying competitions in multiple classes and also will incorporate participatory off-track activities, including driving demonstrations, manufacturer autocross rides, seminars and a car show.

“We have been planning a national event for many years and we’re very happy to have Mid-Ohio as our partner,” said NASA Executive Director Jerry Kunzman. “Putting on our first national championship event at a prestigious facility like Mid-Ohio is great news for our organization and the more than 10,000 enthusiasts who make up our membership. This is going to be a very unique event and we are tremendously excited to be working with the TrueSports team at Mid-Ohio to bring it to reality. ”

“Providing a world-class venue for ardent amateur racers was the reason Mid-Ohio was founded,” said TrueSports President Michelle Trueman Gajoch. “We’re pleased to be able to add the National Auto Sport Championships to our schedule and to be able to play a part in helping NASA achieve its goal of putting on fair, affordable, fun events for automobile racers and enthusiasts.”

In addition to the Championships, NASA also will sanction three regional race weekends at Mid-Ohio.

blah blah blah

I don't know if anyone has ever seen a NASA event before, but man, there is alot of talent and equipment disparity in those races. You can theoretically get a race license without having been in a racing environment, based just on instructor observation in lapping sessions.

But at least now the guys with 600 hp Mustangs, and ex-World Challenge 911s can get themselves a "national" championship despite only lapping 5 seconds quicker than a Spec Miata. :laugh:

Still, it is kinda cool, there are some good drivers and some interesting classes in NASA, and I have alot of friends who are involved with NASA and are probably thrilled about it.

RichK
10-28-05, 11:45 AM
So I guess ank automatically gets a license? :gomer:

nrc
10-28-05, 12:49 PM
Even their amateur events are getting more amateurish.

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-05, 12:50 PM
So I guess ank automatically gets a license? :gomer:

Well, you can't spell wanker without Ank.

Methanolandbrats
10-28-05, 12:57 PM
Cool, a shot in the arm for the local economy.........a lot more work for flatbed and towtruck drivers :)

Winston Wolfe
10-28-05, 01:40 PM
You dont think that the local "ricer" contingent (including white boys from the middle class 'burbs pretending to be "ghetto"...) are gonna take this opportunity to bring out their street scene, lowered Civics and Eclipses with Pep Boys wheelcovers and fart can exhaust for a day at the track, do ya ?

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-05, 01:42 PM
You dont think that the local "ricer" contingent (including white boys from the middle class 'burbs pretending to be "ghetto"...) are gonna take this opportunity to bring out their street scene, lowered Civics and Eclipses with Pep Boys wheelcovers and fart can exhaust for a day at the track, do ya ?

They would be scared away by the $200-400 entry fee for a lapping day, assuming they even did them during that weekend.

They'll have other ricer events for them in the infield like they did when NASA had a poorly attended spectator event in '04, and with Grand-Am in '05.

Winston Wolfe
10-28-05, 01:45 PM
cant they just sell some of the stolen computer parts they got from their job at Radio Shack\Circuit City\ Fry's\ or Best Buy to cover the entry fee ????
(At least that is where I see most of these "boy racers")

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-05, 01:52 PM
About the worst I've ever seen was in '04 when they did some stupid tuner challenge at Mid-Ohio, this guy wandered on track in the middle of a lapping session and was holding everyone up because he clearly didn't understand point-by rules.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p9a8bd40e6f7cf152a09745000a711adb/f741d68c.jpg

But at least the trophy girl was hot!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p3e8c5e73b2fe0f86077b74e8372f97f2/f741b4b1.jpg

Winston Wolfe
10-28-05, 02:06 PM
About the worst I've ever seen was in '04 when they did some stupid tuner challenge at Mid-Ohio, this guy wandered on track in the middle of a lapping session and was holding everyone up because he clearly didn't understand point-by rules.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p3e8c5e73b2fe0f86077b74e8372f97f2/f741b4b1.jpg

nahhhhh, she blows.... :D

Al Czervik
10-28-05, 02:43 PM

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p9a8bd40e6f7cf152a09745000a711adb/f741d68c.jpg

Funny, that doesn't look like a MR-2!

;) :D

Steve99
10-28-05, 06:35 PM
I thought NASA was busy trying to get back to the moon. How did they end up in Ohio?

FCYTravis
10-28-05, 06:48 PM
I think it's rather odd that NASA is going to have their championship in Ohio when the majority of NASA's membership is on the West Coast.

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-05, 06:52 PM
I think it's rather odd that NASA is going to have their championship in Ohio when the majority of NASA's membership is on the West Coast.

Alot of them came to Mid-Ohio in '04 for the "unofficial" Honda Challenge and American Iron championships.

nrc
10-29-05, 01:52 AM

Maybe "Trailer park hot"

Ankf00
10-29-05, 02:11 AM
Well, you can't spell wanker without Ank.
Drew Carey took her home why now? because I'm the wanker? :laugh:

Rocketdoc
10-29-05, 03:52 AM

My son won the NASA West Coast US Touring Car Championship a few years ago in a factory Honda Touring Car station wagon.

They (NASA) remind me of IMSA in the very early days, as compared to the SCCA Pro Racing organization.

A lot looser, less stiff upper lip, not too many slaps on the wrist for aggressive driving, and at the time, pretty damn good competition.

I'm not sure about the licensing thing (a mirror up to the nose and watch for condensation), but my son has an FIA license, and as an Advanced Bondurant Instructor, he can give out licenses (SCCA and ?) after they qualify themselves with him on a real track, through the school, not at the event.

cart7
10-31-05, 05:57 AM
Sounds like my kind of racin event. Looks like I'll have to get on my knee's and beg the wife to let me use her Taurus with the 24v DOHC. Believe me, this car blasts!

are 4 doors OK? :gomer:

Rocketdoc
10-31-05, 07:26 AM
Sounds like my kind of racin event. Looks like I'll have to get on my knee's and beg the wife to let me use her Taurus with the 24v DOHC. Believe me, this car blasts!

are 4 doors OK? :gomer:

Well, my son's stationwagon had four doors, and it went like stink.

In a NASA "Sreets of LA" race, some years ago, it took a Competition Viper Coupe about ten laps to get around him at the end of the straight, but the Viper couldn't get the thing slowed down enough to make the left at the end of the straight, and he broke the front (very expensive carbon fiber) off of it hitting the NJ barriers.

I had an SHO, and I agree with you, they're damn fast.