PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Hyabusa

Wheel-Nut
10-27-05, 02:39 PM
Do you really think this bike hits 220 mph in that short of time?

http://www.hockleyhideout.com/video/220mph.wmv

RichK
10-27-05, 02:42 PM
No way.

racer2c
10-27-05, 02:46 PM
I saw that video over a year ago. I beleive it's a turbo 'busa that claims to have 500hp. I also think it's kph, not mph.

I rode a '03 'busa and it was fast. Scary fast. I prefer the handling of the GSX-r's though.

Warlock!
10-27-05, 03:01 PM
I also think it's kph, not mph.
That's what it looks like to me as well.

Wheel-Nut
10-27-05, 03:11 PM
I don't know about the mph being kph . . . If you look at the outer set of numbers, the 70 seems to correspond to a triple digit number on the inner set. 110 perhaps.

I'm thinking its 220 mph. 500 hp turbo would be possible. At any rate, this dude is freaking crazy.

indyfan31
10-27-05, 03:44 PM
I'm thinkin' he changed the gear on the speedo. Just before the video ends watch the rate at which the lane-lines go by, the speedo says 100, it looks like about 60 or 70 at most.

racer2c
10-27-05, 03:59 PM
I'm thinkin' he changed the gear on the speedo. Just before the video ends watch the rate at which the land lines go by, the speedo says 100, it looks like about 60 or 70 at most.

I wouldn't doubt that also. Having seen hundreds upon hundreds of bike and car street race video I think more than half are faked.

oddlycalm
10-27-05, 04:22 PM
No way. Way.

Think about it. A stock Hayabusa reaches 190mph+ in around 14 seconds at 5th gear redline, so another 30mph from double the power on the turbo bike isn't a stretch at all since the power to pull redline in 6th gear. BTW, the 190mph speed for the stock bike is confirmed by endless magazine tests over the years and certified by Guiness World Records.

Test results have been published from around the world over the last 5yrs and Guiness World Records has certified the speed at 317kph.
Cycle World - 2000
Top speed: 191mph
1/4 mile: 9.86 @ 145.80mph
Hayabuse test results (http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/performance.htm)

Considering the stock Hyabusa is a 155bhp @ rear wheel 550lb vehicle and you can see why adding a turbo would result in big numbers. There are dozens of independent dyno tests to support those stock numbers.
Dyno test results (http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/performance2.htm)

All that said, the Hayabusa is a bit of a one trick pony as racer2c indicated and there are better handling bikes like the GSX-R and R1 that are probably better all around bikes IMO.

The part that is really crazy is that any 16yr old with enough money can walk in a buy one of these... :gomer:

oc

RichK
10-27-05, 04:43 PM
I'm just going by the video - I can see the white lines and road turnouts going by - and that's not 220mph+

My guess is that the bike was geared differently.

Also, the road speed "wavered" as he decellerated. The speedometer readout bled off very smoothly, but the road speed had a "hiccup" in it that looks fake.

And watch the guy's reflection in the dash - no helmet movement from turbulence at all.

Don Quixote
10-27-05, 06:21 PM
I agree with Rich. At 220, everything would be a blur.

emjaya
10-27-05, 07:30 PM
FAKE.It looks way undergeared.He gets to that redline very quickly and sits there like there's another gear or two to go.

Look at the speedo,it stops moving when the tacho reads 10k,if this was real he would be doing 230-235 at redline.

I don't doubt 220mph is possible with a turbo 'busa,it's just not this one. :)

oddlycalm
10-28-05, 01:37 PM
I'm just going by the video - I can see the white lines and road turnouts going by - and that's not 220mph+.

I don't doubt 220mph is possible with a turbo 'busa,it's just not this one. :) Agreed, this particular vid is bogus, no wind turbulence, etc., etc. Anyone that's actually been onboard at high speed reckognizes all the visual cues are absent. I hadn't looked at the vid before posting my initial response.

No doubt in my mind that a turbo Hayabusa will hit that speed and get there very quickly though. All it needs is enough power to pull 6th gear to redline.

oc