PDA

View Full Version : Motegi may be cut

rabbit
03-19-03, 01:04 AM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=03282156

Japanese IRL race might be cancelled due to possible war with Iraq

The Indy Racing League’s first foray overseas might not happen after all. Series officials are keeping their options open in the event a war with Iraq breaks out and keeps them from traveling to Japan.
League vice president Brian Barnhart said a decision doesn’t have to be made until April 2, the day the cars are scheduled to leave Indianapolis for the April 13 race at Motegi. Barnhart said he didn’t consider the possibility of the race not happening until he read about a Japanese volleyball team recently canceling a trip to the United States. The IRL’s contingent to Motegi will number about 600.

FortyOneFord
03-19-03, 01:10 AM
Well, that'll be a nice excuse, but it's not the reason they aren't racing there.

Hink
03-19-03, 01:26 AM
Honda will love this. Go vision go!

Lizzerd
03-19-03, 01:50 AM
Don't laugh. Remember where CART is supposed to be in May. On the soil of an ally in the war and an appeaser to the enemy (not to mention a supplier of chemicals and equipment).

Napoleon
03-19-03, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by FortyOneFord
Well, that'll be a nice excuse, but it's not the reason they aren't racing there.

What is the reason then?

Napoleon
03-19-03, 08:00 AM
Now the Washington Post and NY Times are reporting that Major League Baseball will cancel its Japan games.

spook
03-19-03, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by FortyOneFord

I'm also curious to hear the "real" reason. :confused:

mapguy
03-19-03, 10:09 AM
They'll race there. It is very important for Mikey to race infront of his primary sponsor and team benefactor, Honda.

sundaydriver
03-19-03, 11:07 AM
If they cancel the race, will anybody notice? :gomer:

Spicoli
03-19-03, 10:33 PM
The main reason they won't go is the "lesser" EARL team (read - Anybody not funded by Yoda or honda or not ex-CART) doesn't have the racks and boxes needed to properly pack up all the gear. Foyt uses plywood boxes. Not exactly proper cartage.

The EARL was never supposed to be an "internationl" series.
:gomer:

they can blame it on whatever they want. they always do anyway.:rolleyes:

FortyOneFord
03-19-03, 11:53 PM
Thanks for answering the questions Spicoli.

He is correct. The few remaining original earl teams don't have the proper gear to make the trip, and don't have the resources to get the proper gear. They aren't going unless some one caughs up the dough.

Treeface
03-20-03, 12:39 AM
"What is the reason then?"

Money. Flyaways are expensive. The IRL is willing to swallow track/promoter costs to undercut CART. Paying for a homer (Shinji Nakano) indicates low demand. So if the IRL is on the hook for the transport costs and the ticket sales are soft they may very well cancel.

Dr. Corkski
03-20-03, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Now the Washington Post and NY Times are reporting that Major League Baseball will cancel its Japan games. Let me guess, MLB cancelled the Japan series because the Oakland A's can't afford to bring their long reliever over too? :rolleyes:

spook
03-20-03, 11:47 AM
I guess they must have just suddenly come up with the money. ;)

Courtesy of TSO:

INDY RACING LEAGUE WILL CONTINUE WITH SCHEDULED RACES

INDIANAPOLIS, Thursday, March 20, 2003 - A statement from Indy Racing League President and CEO Tony George regarding upcoming IRL events at Phoenix and Motegi, Japan:

After reviewing information available to us, the Indy Racing League will continue with its current schedule of racing events, including Sunday, March 23 in Phoenix and Sunday, April 13 in Motegi, Japan. We hope and expect to maintain this schedule.

As the country carries out its commitment in Iraq, we are mindful of President Bush's admonition to carry on with our lives. In America, racing has always been identified with patriotic support of our men and women in uniform. We intend to continue that tradition, working closely with our promoters in the United States, with Twin Ring Motegi and Honda Motor Company in Japan, as well as with the governments of United States and Japan to monitor any issues that might arise which could compromise our ability to protect the health and safety of our fans, teams, drivers and staff.

Tony George
President and CEO
Indy Racing League

Railbird
03-20-03, 02:13 PM
They'll be there, and it won't be on the grandson's dime.

Grasping at straws is one thing racefans, but grsping at lame bs like packing crates is embarrassing.

Hink
03-20-03, 03:44 PM
Yes - But the info came from the IRL.

Wait - I see what you mean about grasping at lame bs.

pchall
03-20-03, 03:49 PM
A lot of IRL teams seem to be living out of cardboard boxes anyway, so a long weekend in those coffin like mini rooms that pass for hotel space in Tokyo ought to feel like the Ritz.

DaveL
03-20-03, 05:03 PM
Good thing the IRL was created to preserve the tradition of Japanese oval racing.

Oh, and Shinji has a ride for the race. For those lurking Lemmings keeping score: Shinji-Ride; Boat-Not.

Racewriter
03-20-03, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Good thing the IRL was created to preserve the tradition of Japanese oval racing.

Oh, and Shinji has a ride for the race. For those lurking Lemmings keeping score: Shinji-Ride; Boat-Not.

What's most interesting, Dave, is this:

Honda recognizes the value of having domestic drivers in domestic races, yet many Americans are called "xenophobic" for believing that American racing series are better off with predominately American drivers.

Lizzerd
03-20-03, 07:52 PM
That's a very good point, Racewriter.

DaveL
03-20-03, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
Honda recognizes the value of having domestic drivers in domestic races, yet many Americans are called "xenophobic" for believing that American racing series are better off with predominately American drivers.

The xenophobia comes from those race fans who refuse to accept drivers from other countries, make fun of their names, deride them as "nameless" and "faceless", and make a priori assumptions about these drivers and the amount of financial backing they had from their families to get where they are.

The very same people who mocked Castroneves, scoffed at Kanaan, and had no use for deFerrin when they were in CART are now writing hosannas to them and how great they are for the IRL.

It's the hypocricy RW. It's so thick a ginzu knife couldn't cut it.

Lizzerd
03-20-03, 08:28 PM
Dave, I'm actually agreeing with you too. I know you weren't addressing me, but I'm in the "I don't care if they're from Mars" camp. I would like to see more Americans, but would support CART if there were none in the field. I agreed with Racewriter's points that Honda is willing to prop a Japanese driver for the race in Motegi and that that many Americans who may be OW fans are not so, indeed because they are xenophobic.

DaveL
03-20-03, 11:47 PM
And to be clear I'm not calling R-Dub a xenophob or hypocrite either.

All things being equal, CART would be better off if deserving Americans were in the field. The fact that Fogerty is not ticks me off. But it's also fair to qualify the desire for Americans so that we want to those who played by the rules and won what they were supposed to win like Fogerty did. The same can be applied to Alex Barron and Memo Gidley.

What is most interesting is that CART had its greatest period of fan interest as the amount of foreign drivers increased and Americans decreased (90-95). The notion that CART and the sport had a net loss in fans because foreign drivers came in cannot be supported by any reliable data.

RichK
03-21-03, 12:22 PM
Hey Dave!

J. Fogerty: CCR
J. Fogarty: CWS

;)

JT265
03-21-03, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by RichK
Hey Dave!

J. Fogerty: CCR
J. Fogarty: CWS

;)

WOW! I have all of CCR on 8 track, but I can't find any CWS 8 tracks.

Anybody? :confused: :D

nrc
03-21-03, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
What's most interesting, Dave, is this:

Is that why Honda has packed their driver lineup with American short track heros?

Please, be serious. Honda's presence in the IRL doesn't mean anything except that they were pissed at CART and as a result HPD was going to be left with nothing to do. The home office was happy to give them some money for an IRL project if they could foil Toyota's effort to win Indy.

Anything else they've said about their presence in the IRL is just so much eyewash.

As for xenophobia, DaveL has already said it for me. Thanks DaveL.

Racewriter
03-21-03, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Is that why Honda has packed their driver lineup with American short track heros?

Please, be serious. Honda's presence in the IRL doesn't mean anything except that they were pissed at CART and as a result HPD was going to be left with nothing to do. The home office was happy to give them some money for an IRL project if they could foil Toyota's effort to win Indy.

Anything else they've said about their presence in the IRL is just so much eyewash.

As for xenophobia, DaveL has already said it for me. Thanks DaveL.

I think you mistook my point. You're right about Honda's presence in the IRL, in that it's the highest exposure series in the US that they are currently allowed in - so they're in.

BUT - in the race that they really care about and promote - they hire a "homer." I found that significant.

Treeface
03-21-03, 11:12 PM
Why would Honda fund a moribund IRL team. :saywhat: They already have plenty of teams from which they could have added a ride for Shinji. The money came from Indiana.