PDA

View Full Version : weird Dave Phillips rumor

coolhand
10-23-05, 06:56 PM
I am pretty posititve that Da matta would not even entertain the though of the IRL, let alone drive a toyota again. This would only happen if Chip was heading back over.

"There's a good chance I'll be staying here at PKV," he said. "We'll just see what the plans are for next year. In fact, I'm having dinner with Jim McGee to discuss the plans for the off season, what the team plans to do to improve. I think we need to improve our technical and engineering capabilities if we are going to compete with Newman/Haas and some of the other teams."

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/20330/

cart7
10-23-05, 09:42 PM
"Cristiano has not resigned, and in all likelihood he won't be," said Vasser. "He's a great talent and I love him to death, but right now it doesn't look like he'll be back with the team next year."

hmmmm

Anteater
10-23-05, 09:52 PM
On SPEED News today, Robin Miller was still talking about the possibility of 3 cars at NHR in '06, and CdM in one of them. He also said something about a "shootout" for an empty seat at PKV during off-season. It's all very interesting!

coolhand
10-23-05, 10:45 PM
hmmmm

Ironically, da Matta voiced just the opposite view on the Gold Coast.

"There's a good chance I'll be staying here at PKV," he said. "We'll just see what the plans are for next year. In fact, I'm having dinner with Jim McGee to discuss the plans for the off season, what the team plans to do to improve. I think we need to improve our technical and engineering capabilities if we are going to compete with Newman/Haas and some of the other teams."

look at the next paragraph.

Insomniac
10-24-05, 10:59 AM
On SPEED News today, Robin Miller was still talking about the possibility of 3 cars at NHR in '06, and CdM in one of them. He also said something about a "shootout" for an empty seat at PKV during off-season. It's all very interesting!

Interesting. Servia already made his intentions of wanting to stay at N/H known. I thought it would be 3 guys for 2 seats (Bourdais, Junky and Servia), but now maybe 4 guys for 3 seats? In any case, why would N/H want da Matta? They have the 2 time champion and Junky (who I think is better than Servia). And Servia manged to finish second as well this year. Why pay more for da Matta? You can't finish much better.

NismoZ
10-24-05, 11:09 AM
True, and I know nothing about contracts, but perhaps Haas just "postponed" his option on daMatta rather than giving it up this season and still has him for 1 more season? Yes, as good as servia has been it'd be hard to let people like Bruno or Cris go. So many drivers, so few cars...as usual. :(

cameraman
10-24-05, 12:02 PM
Given daMatta's idiotic first corner stunts at Denver and Surfer's added to his crashing out of Cleveland & Toronto I would think long and hard before I dropped Servia for him. He seems to have spent too much time in an F1 car and has forgotten how manuals work...

TKGAngel
10-24-05, 12:20 PM

The candidates for the empty PKV seat were Manning, Briscoe, daMatta and Servia. So what we know is that the empty seat is either JV or daMatta's, depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is.

JV says You know me: I'm not planning any big retirement event, I'm not going to make some big announcement at the Champ Car (post-season) banquet

Hee! I wonder if that's a dig at Rusty Wallace, and all the hoopla around the 'Rusty's Last Call' tour?

pchall
10-24-05, 01:02 PM
Given daMatta's idiotic first corner stunts at Denver and Surfer's added to his crashing out of Cleveland & Toronto I would think long and hard before I dropped Servia for him. He seems to have spent too much time in an F1 car and has forgotten how manuals work...

I wonder if daMatta ever knew how to race in traffic and move up from behind. He won a championship for NHR winning from pole and never looking back. The only time I remember him passing a car on the track was at Chicago of all places. :eek:

NismoZ
10-24-05, 01:03 PM
No, not at all. Jimmy's his own man, that's all. He'll do it his way...if and when. :) :thumbup:

coolhand
10-24-05, 01:40 PM
I believe that Robin got the Brisco part wrong, i dont think PKV is looking into him but rather PC who is looking to come back along with Manning and Daziel.

Brisco would take alot of work and Team Oz is looking for a good aussie they will take him.

Anteater
10-24-05, 09:08 PM
I wonder if daMatta ever knew how to race in traffic and move up from behind. He won a championship for NHR winning from pole and never looking back. The only time I remember him passing a car on the track was at Chicago of all places. :eek:

Da Matta knew how at Monterrey this year--he went from 13th to 6th after getting collected in the Tracy/Bourdais contretemps (he was running in 3rd place at the time). The TV coverage didn't show all the passes, but as I watched the leaderboard, I remember thinking that I must be missing some interesting moments during the broadcast. See
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9027

Ed_Severson
10-24-05, 09:13 PM
Hee! I wonder if that's a dig at Rusty Wallace, and all the hoopla around the 'Rusty's Last Call' tour?

More than likely it's a dig at Rahole. Vasser made a similar comment during the fan forum at Vegas and mentioned Booby specifically.

skaven
10-24-05, 09:40 PM
Finally, some Silly Season talk. :thumbup:

Who is going to be with PT at Forsythe next year? How many cars? Let's go you insiders. :cool:

Contretemps made my day. :D

NismoZ
10-26-05, 01:27 PM
Yeah, when do all the unhappy, impatient F-1 wannabes start the "I'm going to ChampCar" talk? I think Pizzonia has started off first this year. Who's next?

TKGAngel
10-26-05, 04:51 PM
More than likely it's a dig at Rahole. Vasser made a similar comment during the fan forum at Vegas and mentioned Booby specifically.

Both are/were sponsored by Miller...hmmm. Not to go all conspiracy theory here.

skaven
10-26-05, 11:07 PM
Yeah, when do all the unhappy, impatient F-1 wannabes start the "I'm going to ChampCar" talk? I think Pizzonia has started off first this year. Who's next?

Yes ! ! ! That's what I'm talking about. :laugh:

Who is keeping the list of the "unhappy, impatient F-1 wannabes" ?

We need volunteers who can type. Can anyone type around here??? :gomer: