PDA

View Full Version : More privacy issues

Gangrel
10-21-05, 12:04 PM
Just got this email today from a friend...names have been removed to protect the innocent.... :eek:
----------------------------------------------------
Fellow Americans,

Thank's to so-called "homeland security" our civil liberties have been eroded yet another notch. Now, anyone with a driver's license is in an online database, which is accessible via anyone with a web browser. It should be available, at most, to only authorized law enforcement personnel, but here it is. Widespread invasion of privacy!

I entered my data, and it eventually showed me my driver's license. There is a box there allowing you to opt out of the public portion of the database, and I clicked mine to opt out. I think the default should be non-public unless you opt IN.

Some states are holding up the process, but soon everyone will be here.

Way to go administration!

http://www.license.shorturl.com/

G.
10-21-05, 01:40 PM
you sure this isn't a phishing expedition??

Website is down, BTW.

Gangrel
10-21-05, 01:41 PM
Phishing? Nahh....keep trying.

racer2c
10-21-05, 01:47 PM
The site is down.

Even before the Internet, anyone with the desire to do so can walk into the courthouse and find out what their neighbor paid for their house. How much taxes they files etc.
I was looking for an old high school friend via Google and came up with all kinds of website that for a few bucks would do background searches, criminal status etc. I did a search on my name and it listed everywhere I've lived within the last 20 years. Places where my name wasn't even in the phone book. It must have searched utility databases.

It took me all of five minutes to find a phone # for a guy I haven't spoken to in 15 years.

racer2c
10-21-05, 01:47 PM
It's back up now.

I hate my picture on the license! It makes me look dumb. :(

rabbit
10-21-05, 01:51 PM
Oh my goodness you guys. I didn't think this was legit until...

http://216.17.106.41/extra/license_genS.php?&name=Tony+George

:eek:

G.
10-21-05, 01:53 PM
It was a legit question, Gangrel. Why the "keep trying"?

Anywho, work filter says it's a naughty site, or does bad things with cookies. Curses, foiled again!

Gangrel
10-21-05, 01:58 PM
It was a legit question, Gangrel. Why the "keep trying"?

Anywho, work filter says it's a naughty site, or does bad things with cookies. Curses, foiled again!

check rabbit's link above. You'll get the idea...

CARTNUT
10-21-05, 02:02 PM
Gawd is that really what I look like?

We need to put an end to this kind of crap!

Californians, you all better vote on Nov. 8th!! :flame:

Wheel-Nut
10-21-05, 02:29 PM
Man, this is an OLD joke. . .

fourrunner
10-21-05, 03:40 PM
Why would Tony have his Mothers picture on his drivers liscense ! :eek:

Methanolandbrats
10-21-05, 03:47 PM
Man, this is an OLD joke. . . I think I waited all night to see that in the 2400 baud days :D

Gangrel
10-21-05, 04:42 PM
Man, this is an OLD joke. . .

Yet still quite effective... :rofl:

Cam
10-21-05, 04:47 PM
I think I waited all night to see that in the 2400 baud days :D

I bet that pic looked realistic on the green monochrome cga graphics too! ;)

Gangrel
10-21-05, 05:05 PM
you had a 2400 bps on a system with a green monochrome? when I had a green monochrome, I didn't even have a hard drive. :D

Cam
10-21-05, 05:12 PM
you had a 2400 bps on a system with a green monochrome? when I had a green monochrome, I didn't even have a hard drive. :D

Compaq "Portable" I :eek:

Gangrel
10-21-05, 05:18 PM
Compaq "Portable" I :eek:

My first system was a TI Professional System, with a dual bernouli box and dual 5.25". My second was a Packard Bell (yuck) 386DX, which contained my first 2400 bps.

Methanolandbrats
10-21-05, 05:45 PM
I bet that pic looked realistic on the green monochrome cga graphics too! ;) Damn, that was the Leading Edge Model D days...........I don't even remember when "color" monitors showed up. Boy I owned some POS computers, ACER, Hewlett Packard, Compaq PResario........I finally learned you're a lot better off building your own.

devilmaster
10-21-05, 07:06 PM
I think I waited all night to see that in the 2400 baud days :D

Everyone who reads that and knows what Meth&Brats is talking about, take a drink cause we're all getting older. ;)

cart7
10-21-05, 07:22 PM
Thought I'd look up an old girlfriend just to see how she's aged.

!!!!!! :eek: !!!!!!!

Glad I broke that one off. :D

fourrunner
10-21-05, 10:38 PM
I've cut my hair since that picture was taken !