PDA

View Full Version : Looking for CHEAP Webhost...

Turn7
10-21-05, 10:03 AM
I am looking for the best deal on a webhosting service. It will be a low bandwidth fishing club site.

I am absolutely clueless on what is and isn't a good deal.

racer2c
10-21-05, 10:14 AM
I've used Go Daddy before for just a low bandwidth personal site. They have database access and newsletter and email all controlled through a web interface that anyone can do. That's pretty standard these days.

TRANSAM
10-21-05, 11:11 AM
The hosting I use for my site is great.

My site:

http://www.discount-perfume-4u.com/womens-perfume.htm

click on the '$6.95/MO Web Hosting' on the lower left of my site.

Gangrel
10-21-05, 11:53 AM
I didn't know Ganassi did any webhosting. :D

Wheel-Nut
10-21-05, 01:14 PM
Are you starting a new site or just moving one of the old ones?

Turn7
10-21-05, 02:32 PM
Are you starting a new site or just moving one of the old ones?

Its a new site.

Turn7
10-21-05, 02:45 PM
OK. So godaddy.com looks cheap @ 3.99 a month. It has 500 mb of storage which will be more than enough, 2.5GB of transfer. Seems to be a bunch for our purpose but, I have no clue how to predict what I would need.

Another question, godaddy asks if I want it hosted on Windows or Linux. Why should I care what OS the server is running as long as it serves up the webpage?

Im a web :gomer:

IlliniRacer
10-21-05, 03:36 PM
OK. So godaddy.com looks cheap @ 3.99 a month. It has 500 mb of storage which will be more than enough, 2.5GB of transfer. Seems to be a bunch for our purpose but, I have no clue how to predict what I would need.

Another question, godaddy asks if I want it hosted on Windows or Linux. Why should I care what OS the server is running as long as it serves up the webpage?

JUST SAY NO TO IIS!!!

http://www.commodore.ca/misc/jokes/Linux-vs-Microsoft.jpg

Cam
10-21-05, 03:46 PM
JUST SAY NO TO IIS!!!

http://www.commodore.ca/misc/jokes/Linux-vs-Microsoft.jpg

Yep go with the linux host. Much more reliable and secure.... :cool:

dando
10-21-05, 04:21 PM

Im a web :gomer:
FYI, the only reason you would want Windows is if yer pages are gonna be active server pages (.asp) pages. Otherwise, go with the penguin. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Turn7
10-24-05, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone. I appreciate it.

WickerBill
10-24-05, 09:29 AM
From the resident Microsoft tech:

Oh man, you gotta go with Linux, no question.

WB

nrc
10-24-05, 12:11 PM
From the resident Microsoft tech:

Oh man, you gotta go with Linux, no question.

WB
:D :thumbup:

JoeBob
10-24-05, 01:25 PM
I haven't used them, but I've heard good things about http://www.webhost4life.com/

Turn7
10-24-05, 01:45 PM
Godaddy got my money.

I received a 20% discount on the 3.99 a month rate for buying a year in advance plus; $7 bucks off the 8.99 domain registration fee plus, an additional 10% off for entering a "Promotion" code I googled up when checking out.

It all came to a grand total of $36.14 for 1 year of hosting w/500mb storage and 25GB transfer/mo., domain registration, and 100 email address w/10MB storage each.

They'll probably tear me a knew one when I go to renew next year but, why pay today what you can put off until next year sounds like a good motto to me right now. :D

Thanks again.

devilmaster
10-24-05, 02:20 PM
Godaddy got my money.

I received a 20% discount on the 3.99 a month rate for buying a year in advance plus; $7 bucks off the 8.99 domain registration fee plus, an additional 10% off for entering a "Promotion" code I googled up when checking out.

It all came to a grand total of $36.14 for 1 year of hosting w/500mb storage and 25GB transfer/mo., domain registration, and 100 email address w/10MB storage each.

They'll probably tear me a knew one when I go to renew next year but, why pay today what you can put off until next year sounds like a good motto to me right now. :D

Thanks again.

alright T7.... do we get to see what this thread was about? ;)

Turn7
10-24-05, 04:22 PM
I hope not. :D ; It's not all that good, just a hack together thing that I learned how to do some html's like Daniel and Greg down at the trailerpark does. :gomer:

devilmaster
10-24-05, 04:25 PM
I learned how to do some html's like Daniel and Greg down at the trailerpark does. :gomer:

So, it sounds like a website that Warlock would come across during his daily perusal..... ;)

nice site, btw. looks good with firefox :thumbup: