PDA

View Full Version : Grand-Am

coolhand
10-20-05, 12:03 AM
http://www.grandamerican.com/Messageboard/ShowThread.asp?ID=2716

some interesting rumors going around in Grand-Am circles about some ALMS and a IRL team switching over.

Sean O'Gorman
10-20-05, 12:20 AM
:)

Fio1
10-20-05, 01:15 AM
I heard that Cheever bought two Crawfords...

The Doctor
10-20-05, 01:19 AM
Sucks?

Kidding folks. ;)

Interesting to see ACEMCO looking at moving over, although running the S7 the past few years certainly hasn't been very successful. They could easily purchase a new DP and at least have a chance at being competitive. As much as I love ALMS, GA and the DPs are certainly more affordable and offer much more options. For now I'll just live in the past, though, and relive the "glory" days in my mind. :cool:

FCYTravis
10-20-05, 02:37 AM
Hey, it's a swap. Looks like GARRA is getting ACEMCO while BMW Team PTG is going to take their factory effort back over to ALMS with the new M5 in the four-door GT category?

All the PTG M3s have been sold off to privateers (Sigalsport and Matt Connolly Motorsports), so PTG won't even be making the trip south of the border.

Makes sense - privateers come over here, factories go back to ALMS. All is right with the world :)

extramundane
10-20-05, 10:19 AM
Interesting to see ACEMCO looking at moving over, although running the S7 the past few years certainly hasn't been very successful. They could easily purchase a new DP and at least have a chance at being competitive.:

It's been suggested they're buying a Doran. Let's see...leave a series where, except under extreme circumstances, your car is a 3rd place car at best, to spend money on a new car for a new series, where, except under extreme circumstances, your car is a 3rd place car at best.

I guess it depends what you mean by "being competetive."

Sean O'Gorman
10-20-05, 12:37 PM
It's been suggested they're buying a Doran. Let's see...leave a series where, except under extreme circumstances, your car is a 3rd place car at best, to spend money on a new car for a new series, where, except under extreme circumstances, your car is a 3rd place car at best.

I guess it depends what you mean by "being competetive."

Oh come on, your statement is misleading. Third place in class, two laps down, in a field of five, is definitely not the same as being third place overall, 30 seconds behind, in a field of 20 cars.

racer2c
10-20-05, 12:50 PM
And here I always thought third place was just, well third place. :gomer:

devilmaster
10-20-05, 12:56 PM
And here I always thought third place was just, well third place. :gomer:

Nah, r2c. In the twirl - third place is - 'You beat the princess you stupid b*****d!!!!! You're fired!!!!!' ;)

extramundane
10-20-05, 04:16 PM
Oh come on, your statement is misleading. Third place in class, two laps down, in a field of five, is definitely not the same as being third place overall, 30 seconds behind, in a field of 20 cars.

Actually, the most misleading part of my statement is suggesting a Doran could manage to even run 3rd under normal conditions.

Class or overall, they're still racing for 3rd place at best.

FCYTravis
10-20-05, 05:23 PM
Dorans do run third - or higher. The Frisselles have had good showings in the Rx.com Synergy BMW Doran, and the Crown Royal Ford Doran has had good runs as well, including a podium finish.

The Ford engine is generally thought to have the most horsepower of any available Grand-Am engine these days.

extramundane
10-20-05, 06:13 PM
Dorans do run third - or higher. The Frisselles have had good showings in the Rx.com Synergy BMW Doran, and the Crown Royal Ford Doran has had good runs as well, including a podium finish.

I stand corrected: With 2 3rd place finishes this year and no wins since a freak deluge last year, clearly the Doran chassis will take ACEMCO to the front like the Saleen couldn't.

Accipiter
10-20-05, 06:36 PM
It's been suggested they're buying a Doran.

I think that's just because of their association with Jim Bell. I'm sure they can see as clearly as anyone else that you need to have a R&S or Crawford to be a winner in the series. If not, they deserve what they get.