PDA

View Full Version : Champcar/Panoz video on new chassis concept

pchall
10-17-05, 04:25 PM
link (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/champ/features/chassis/ccws_chassis.wvx)

Mostly a compare and contrast between the concept for the 2007 chassis and the 2002 Lola. Explains the reasoning behind the raised nose and the sidepod changes.

To me the most interesting note was that the driver will sit much more upright in the safety cell for greater protection against back injury and that the car will meet F1 safety testing standards.

BTW, the safety cell will be designed to accomodate a 6' 4" tall driver.

cameraman
10-17-05, 04:43 PM
Justin Wilson 6' 3 1/2"

pchall
10-17-05, 04:52 PM
Justin Wilson 6' 3 1/2"

Room for him to grow. ;)

The seating position change is interesing. Ovals must be part of the future because the current seating angle has been doing the job fairly well in gearbox first hits. Bourdais was pretty adamant about the back injuries at Indy being seating related.

Of course, that might just be how they shorten the wheelbase while keeping the same engine/transaxle and front end protection level.

coolhand
10-17-05, 09:27 PM
so i guess it will be a single keel car. I really only have a problem with the high-nose. I dont remember a champ car like that that needs a keel connection for the wishbones.

I also think there is less room for sponsorship on it too.

cameraman
10-17-05, 10:33 PM
Somehow I think that Ohlins sticker will still fit...

coolhand
10-17-05, 10:44 PM
Somehow I think that Ohlins sticker will still fit...

who said they would use olhins?

NismoZ
10-17-05, 10:57 PM
Saw rendering of a "headrest" addition tapering from top of roll hoop for more ad space. Don't do it!

cameraman
10-17-05, 11:26 PM
who said they would use olhins?

I was commenting the sticker's size not the brand...