PDA

View Full Version : World Challenge GT finale at Laguna

RacinM3
10-17-05, 02:50 PM
Anybody else see the Cadillac punt-fest that was the GT championship final round yesterday? Cadillac, starting in qualifying, pulled every dirty trick in the book to land their first SWC GT championship. Congrats, guys! :rolleyes:

Heeltoe
10-17-05, 08:45 PM
yeah, LG got in on the act too. surprised not to see some more black flags (aside from LG's) i guess (hope) caddy must have be making a big committment to scca, it'd be really be bad if GM cut and ran after "winning" the title.

compare that to the way the touring race went down, hard but class abttled ebtween acura/mazda--pd/pobst

Accipiter
10-18-05, 03:00 PM
That was dirty pool to be sure.

oddlycalm
10-18-05, 03:44 PM
The GM/Cadillac effort caused me to mostly lose interest in this class. The car doesn't have much in common with the production model it's based on with regard to height, center of gravity, weight bias or drag coefficient, which gave it an unfair technical advantage from day one. The initial technical advantages were addressed with restrictions and weight with some success, but the big buck "crush anyone that gets in our way" approach leaves a bad flavor. The tactics of bringing in "ringer" drivers to get around the weight penalties says a lot about their success-at-any-cost approach. :thumdown: GM at the buy-a-result best. :shakehead

oc

Gnam
10-18-05, 03:58 PM
That's funny the GM/Cadillac effort is what sparked my interest in this class. I can see Corvettes, Vipers and Porches circulate with any number of series, but only Speed GT had the big black cars. I would rank the engine note from one of those caddy's right up there with the C5/C6-Rs running in the ALMS.

I'll concede that the factory might have been playing in the shallow end of the pool, but they were still fun to watch.

TorontoWorker
10-18-05, 09:07 PM
Hey, I own a 05 CTS and even I was pissed at the lack of sportsmanship. The *call* to the Vette to get in the way was over the top. Keep this crap up and you risk turning this series into the WWF of the racing world.

NismoZ
10-18-05, 09:14 PM
I heard they lost 1.6 BILLION in the last 3 months...maybe the program won't be around much longer?

extramundane
10-18-05, 10:22 PM
I heard they lost 1.6 BILLION in the last 3 months...maybe the program won't be around much longer?

There's some speculation that it will continue, but in a different series. Perhaps against a certain German 4-door that starts with "M". Guess we'll find out in about 5 months.