PDA

View Full Version : pressdog does Fontana

pressdog
10-17-05, 02:14 PM
Note from the broadcast. I'd have paid real money to see Danica and Jaques pop off the helmets and go as in a hockey fight.

Notes from the Toyota Indy 500 at California Speedway (2005) (http://pressdog.blogspot.com)

cart7
10-17-05, 02:25 PM
Hmmm... it's not there.

pressdog
10-17-05, 02:27 PM
Hmmm... it's not there.
I may have been tweaking it. Sorry. Try again. Hit "reload" if you don't get it this time.

KLang
10-17-05, 02:56 PM
Good stuff pressdog. :thumbup:

Goat Rodeo :rofl:

trauma1
10-17-05, 03:34 PM
fricking coffe went all over the place, thumbs up pressdog :rofl: :D

oddlycalm
10-18-05, 12:20 AM
Outstanding as always pressdog, made me want head right out to a goat rodeo indeed and have a fish taco.... :gomer:

oc

TravelGal
10-18-05, 12:39 AM
Hilarious. Worst part is, I'm guessing it's a pretty accurate description of the race (AND the rodeo).

Over the winter, could you make up one or two races for us? These are so great. I can't stop laughing. It might be hard to make it as funny as the real stuff, but, just for us, give it try, OK?

pressdog
10-18-05, 09:39 AM
I'm glad you enjoy the notes, but don't misunderstand me -- (this may get me banned from this board, as it has from others) -- I'm an IRL fan. I'm just not into this IRL vs. Champ Car frothing where one wants the other to die. I say live and let live and above all, lighten up. I just do this for laughs. If you dig Champ Car, fabulous. There is much to like. I have no problem with that. My stuff is not meant to be mean-spirited. I try to give shout outs where appropriate. I'm sure there is pleanty of humor in Champ Car broadcasts as well.

indyfan31
10-18-05, 09:55 AM
Obviously pressdog is way too level-headed for the Internet ... trow da bum out! :cool:

racer2c
10-18-05, 10:07 AM
I'm glad you enjoy the notes, but don't misunderstand me -- (this may get me banned from this board, as it has from others) -- I'm an IRL fan. I'm just not into this IRL vs. Champ Car frothing where one wants the other to die. I say live and let live and above all, lighten up. I just do this for laughs. If you dig Champ Car, fabulous. There is much to like. I have no problem with that. My stuff is not meant to be mean-spirited. I try to give shout outs where appropriate. I'm sure there is pleanty of humor in Champ Car broadcasts as well.

Damn, you just sucked all the magic right out of it. :cry: Oh well, I usually can only make it through half anyway. :D

Oh, and owners of OC don't kick off people for their opinions. That's what makes it the best.

TKGAngel
10-18-05, 10:11 AM

Would you ever consider doing one of your reports on a Champcar race? Would give you an opportunity to be an equal-opportunity skewer. Besides, the Derek Daly cliche-fest could be almost as entertaining as the Todd Harris one.

G.
10-18-05, 10:31 AM
I'm glad you enjoy the notes, but don't misunderstand me -- (this may get me banned from this board, as it has from others) -- I'm an IRL fan. I'm just not into this IRL vs. Champ Car frothing where one wants the other to die. No, man, you were outted when you first showed up here.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8325&page=1&pp=25

I gave the headsup that you're an earlista. No worries.

I would also like to see a piece on CC broadcasts, but for some reason the phase, "Be careful what you wish for", comes to mind... :)

pressdog
10-18-05, 10:42 AM
No, man, you were outted when you first showed up here.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8325&page=1&pp=25

I gave the headsup that you're an earlista. No worries.

I would also like to see a piece on CC broadcasts, but for some reason the phase, "Be careful what you wish for", comes to mind... :)

I appreciate your tolerance. I see there is a Champ Car broadcast (tape delay from Australia, it appears) on 10/23. Maybe I'll have a go at it. Equal time and all that. We'll see what kind of time I have next weekend. I don't know if I could do notes for the IRL and CC every week and still have a life.

BTW, I love to see a Ford Cosworth in the IRL giving Honda a run.

G.
10-18-05, 11:17 AM
BTW, I love to see a Ford Cosworth in the IRL giving Honda a run.pssst. It's called a Chevy.

(Cosworth makes the Chevy)

pressdog
10-18-05, 11:58 AM
pssst. It's called a Chevy.

(Cosworth makes the Chevy)
Sure, but Chevy is leaving. So I'd like a Cosworth-badged-Ford to replace them.

oddlycalm
10-18-05, 03:21 PM
I'm glad you enjoy the notes, but don't misunderstand me -- (this may get me banned from this board, as it has from others) -- I'm an IRL fan.
- snip -
I'm sure there is pleanty of humor in Champ Car broadcasts as well. I don't see your blog as being about the series as much as about your ability to appreciate truly dreadful race announcing. While ABC/ESPN has a long history of proud achievement in this area, they are not without competition. I think you'll find that Rick Benjamin and Derek Daly are deliciously awful. The contrast between Benjamin's bland ignorance and Daly's inane quasi-Irish blurtings is like a finely curdled milk to be savored, appreciated then fed to the livestock. While it lacks the brain dead energy of Todd and the clueless idiocy of Scott, it has a subtle irritating character all it's own and grows on you like a bad fungal infection. So, hold onto your hollyhocks... (whatever the hell that means. :confused:)

oc

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-05, 04:21 PM
I can't believe it took some of you guys this long to realize that pressdog is an IRL fan. Kinda like how some people haven't figured out that I'm a Champ Car fan. ;)

Gnam
10-18-05, 04:38 PM
My stuff is not meant to be mean-spirited.
That's okay, but my laughter is. :laugh:

pressdog
10-18-05, 04:55 PM
I don't see your blog as being about the series as much as about your ability to appreciate truly dreadful race announcing. While ABC/ESPN has a long history of proud achievement in this area, they are not without competition. I think you'll find that Rick Benjamin and Derek Daly are deliciously awful. The contrast between Benjamin's bland ignorance and Daly's inane quasi-Irish blurtings is like a finely curdled milk to be savored, appreciated then fed to the livestock. While it lacks the brain dead energy of Todd and the clueless idiocy of Scott, it has a subtle irritating character all it's own and grows on you like a bad fungal infection. So, hold onto your hollyhocks... (whatever the hell that means. :confused:)

oc
chortle. funny stuff. you should do the race notes for champ car. plenty of blog space available. just go to blogger.com and giddy up.

TravelGal
10-18-05, 05:03 PM
It actually never occurred to me either way. In fact, as I was relaying a lot of the stuff to TravelGuy, I was citing similar things from Champ Car.

It gets boring to say I agree with Oddly Calm becuase, oddly, I almost always do. I took it as great satire. Sort of the reincarnation of BiF, only in reverse.

Ankf00
10-18-05, 05:07 PM
and with spelling...

and grammar...

and vocabulary... :eek:

racer2c
10-18-05, 07:03 PM
I don't see your blog as being about the series as much as about your ability to appreciate truly dreadful race announcing. While ABC/ESPN has a long history of proud achievement in this area, they are not without competition. I think you'll find that Rick Benjamin and Derek Daly are deliciously awful. The contrast between Benjamin's bland ignorance and Daly's inane quasi-Irish blurtings is like a finely curdled milk to be savored, appreciated then fed to the livestock. While it lacks the brain dead energy of Todd and the clueless idiocy of Scott, it has a subtle irritating character all it's own and grows on you like a bad fungal infection. So, hold onto your hollyhocks... (whatever the hell that means. :confused:)

oc

How the heck can an Irishman be quasi-Irish? :confused:

pressdog, ever read any Tippy Gomez?

TKGAngel
10-18-05, 07:20 PM
...(snip)...So, hold onto your hollyhocks... (whatever the hell that means. :confused:)

oc

I googled "hollyhock," and it appears to be a type of flower, very similar to a pansy in terms of appearance. It also appears to be an island somewhere and the name of a Frank Lloyd Wright house. None of which would make sense to hold on to.

Yup, I'm a dork.

Next time Champcar posts on the website the "Ask the Broadcast Crew a Question" feature, someone should ask what exactly Daly is referring to.

racer2c
10-18-05, 07:23 PM
Daly has mentioned the origin of his nauseatic motto more than once and it is in reference to the flower. Forgot the rest. I only pay attention if there are bikinis involved. :)

cameraman
10-19-05, 12:09 PM
Hollyhocks are a very common flower around here, my yard is full of them. They get to be about 8-9 feet tall (they are nothing like a pansy, btw).

I have never been able to figure out what the hell he is talking about when he says that. Hold on to a plant that is bigger than I am? WTF? :shakehead

pressdog
10-19-05, 01:10 PM
edit: I deleted this post to start a new thread with it instead.