PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Speed Record

Wheel-Nut
03-18-03, 10:41 AM
Wow, that is FAST!!!

LINK (http://sports.iwon.com/news/03182003/v2269.html)

pchall
03-18-03, 12:28 PM
Cool

203.9 on a GP bike is awesome. And remember, this guy needs to be able to slow to make the next turn...

:)

lone_groover
03-18-03, 06:15 PM
I hope the Ducatis have a good maiden year in GPs, they're looking good so far!

FUN FACT: Loris Capirossi is the youngest-ever world champion. He won the 125 World Championship at only 17 years of age. Now, barely 30, he's one of the grand old men of MotoGP.

:thumbup: :)

oddlycalm
03-24-03, 04:27 PM
Yep, seriously fast for certain. I have 100% respect for these guys because, aside from simply having the stones to do it, the level of skill required is so high. Watching these guys slide the bike through the high speed corners still leaves me on the edge of my seat after all these years of watching.

An amusing aside (to me at least) is that my riding career came to a screeching halt when the US formula went from 500cc to 750cc and two races on a Yamaha TZ-750, which left me glad to be alive. The terminal speeds jumped up from 135-140mph to 150-160mph overnight. The difference may not sound like much, but the effects of speed increase in an exponential rather than linear manner. Aside from being incredibly powerfull and fast, the TZ-750 was one of the most evil handling pigs to ever see a race track, and the combination was so scarry that it cured me of wanting to be a GP rider. I raced a few more times in Canada, where the international half liter formula was retained for several decades longer, but it was the end of the line for me. I found that 150mph+ on that bike was overdriving my reflexes, and felt like that was unlikely to change regardless of how the bike handled.

oc