PDA

View Full Version : Chili cookoff

Pages : [1] 2

WickerBill
10-17-05, 01:03 PM
So, today at work, in honor (somehow) of bosses day, we had a chili cookoff. Now, Indianapolis isn't known as a hotbed of chili goodness, right, so I didn't expect Texas-style entries.

There were 7 entrants.

1-6 were all very good chili dishes.

The last one made my sinuses explode in a raging snot and caused uncontrollable drooling from the corners of my singed mouth. I no longer have any nostril hair. I think I turned prematurely gray. Within ten minutes, TEN (10) MINUTES, let's just say the bowl was filled with molten lava.

I shall never eat chili again.

nrc
10-17-05, 01:19 PM
It's a different kind of burning the building down. Happy Boss's Day. :D

devilmaster
10-17-05, 01:24 PM
I never understand why there are people out there who think good chili should basically be so hot as to be uneatable.

When I make a pot for an event, I make it with a little heat - a nice warmth after eating a bowl, then offer up the hot sauces on the side for those crazies that want instant heat.

chop456
10-17-05, 01:27 PM
I saw the thread title and thought "NFW is WB going to post that stupid Texas chili contest e-mail". Thank you! :laugh:

Although you could follow it up with the Ferrari insanity test. :gomer:

WickerBill
10-17-05, 04:15 PM
I still can't feel my lips.

Sean O'Gorman
10-17-05, 04:24 PM
Ha! Now who is the wussy? I go through like a bottle of this stuff a month, and use it in chili:

http://www.sweatnspice.com/prodimages/daves_hurtin_habanero.jpg

Just remember, as bad as that chili was to you, it could always be worse.

http://svott.com/mt/archives/scott_tenorman_chili.jpg

"Made you eat your parents!"

cart7
10-17-05, 04:57 PM
Looks like a good time to pull up the chili recipe thread.

I agree with Steve, I don't want to be uncomfortable eating food, especially if the food is causing the discomfort. My :flame: chili will usually bring a bead of sweat to the brow and that's about it. A good dose of Milk or cold beer puts the flame out quickly.

dando
10-17-05, 07:07 PM
Mmmm, it's almost chili season. :thumbup: :drools:

-Kevin

WickerBill
10-17-05, 08:10 PM
Okay, it appears there was some funny business going on with that last chili, as the only other co-worker who braved it now has, apparently, lost a couple of layers of skin on the inside of his left cheek.... any ideas on legitimate ingredients that would have caused that?

RichK
10-17-05, 08:13 PM
lost a couple of layers of skin on the inside of his left cheek....

Um.....when you say "cheek"...

Sean O'Gorman
10-17-05, 08:43 PM
any ideas on legitimate ingredients that would have caused that?

http://hotsauce.com/detail.aspx?ID=638

Chitowncartfreak
10-17-05, 09:14 PM
Heat is not an issue - the real key is the beans. Real chili does not have beans in it. No exceptions.

Methanolandbrats
10-17-05, 09:20 PM
Heat is not an issue - the real key is the beans. Real chili does not have beans in it. No exceptions. Well, let's call it vegetarian chili then. Nuthin wrong with a blend of beans and peppers served over rice or pasta. It's chili without the carrion.

dando
10-17-05, 09:24 PM
Heat is not an issue - the real key is the beans. Real chili does not have beans in it. No exceptions.
:saywhat:

By your definition, but not others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

To each their own. When it comes to cuisine, the only rules involve chemistry. Is there a chili manifesto of which I'm not aware?

-Kevin

cart7
10-17-05, 10:09 PM
* "Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili."
o Alleged last words of Kit Carson, frontiersman

* "My feeling about chili is this: Along in November, when the first norther strikes, and the skies are gray, along about five o'clock in the afternoon, I get to thinking how good chili would taste for supper. It always lives up to expectations. In fact, you don't even mind the cold November winds."
o Lady Bird Johnson, U.S. First Lady

* "Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili. Congress should pass a law making it mandatory for all restaurants serving chili to follow a Texas recipe."
o Harry James, horn player

* (On the other hand...) "Put a pot of chili on the back of the stove to simmer. Let it keep simmering. Meanwhile, broil a good sirloin steak. Eat the steak. Let the chili continue to simmer. Then ignore it."
o Allan Shivers, Governor of Texas

oddlycalm
10-17-05, 11:53 PM
Okay, it appears there was some funny business going on with that last chili, as the only other co-worker who braved it now has, apparently, lost a couple of layers of skin on the inside of his left cheek.... any ideas on legitimate ingredients that would have caused that? Concentrated enough capsaicin (the stuff that makes chiles hot) can remove a layer of hide. I use rubber gloves when handling habaneros if that tells you anyting. If someone spiked the chili with straight habenero juice as a practical joke then the symptoms you posted aren't surprising.

Not every mouth is created equal. Taste bud density on the tongue varies but an order of magnitude and people can also become acclimated to capsaicin so that it doesn't burn them or remove tissue.

For me it's about flavor more than heat. I love the taste of chiles with beef, whether in chili or any other dish, but I roast the pods and remove the internal membrane and seeds which is where all the heat resides. What is left is all of the flavor but only very mild heat.

The roasting and removal of the skin also takes away the "grassy" flavor that fresh chile pods have. I just char them until black all over, toss them in a plastic bag for five mintutes, then rub the skins off, open the pods and cut out the membrane and strip out the seeds. I use ground dry chiles as well, but I like fresh pods to brighten up the flavor. Using different chile powder or fresh pods during the cook adds richness and layers of flavor, not heat. :thumbup:

oc

Chitowncartfreak
10-17-05, 11:56 PM
:saywhat:

By your definition, but not others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

To each their own. When it comes to cuisine, the only rules involve chemistry. Is there a chili manifesto of which I'm not aware?

-Kevin

Please refer to rule 2, section A in the official rules set forth by the Chili Appreciation Society International. :)

http://www.chili.org/documents/CASI%20Official%20Rule%20Book.pdf

dando
10-18-05, 12:10 AM
Please refer to rule 2, section A in the official rules set forth by the Chili Appreciation Society International. :)

Rules? d00d, I don't even follow recipes....unless it's dat fancy smancy french sauce stuff. :)

-Kevin

devilmaster
10-18-05, 05:03 AM
Ha! Now who is the wussy? I go through like a bottle of this stuff a month, and use it in chili:

http://www.sweatnspice.com/prodimages/daves_hurtin_habanero.jpg

PRODUCT DETAILS
Size : 5oz
Regular Price : 5.55
Heat Level : 6 (Medium)
Bottle Type:
Color :
Consistency :
Produced in :
Style :
Manufacturer :
Themes : Gourmet * * Fits In Display Box
Ingredients : habanero chilies with onions, lime juice, garlic, and spices

Oooooh. A six on the scale. :rolleyes: Even Dave's Insanity rates a 10. This here probably has a good flavor, but it ain't got killer heat.

I use this as my everyday sauce - but I don't brag about it like its killer heat...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1866_37710918

You ever heard of a prarie fire? Its a tequila shot with tabasco. At the navy pub where I used to manage, we used to make a drink called a prarie bomb:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hotsaucecatalog_1863_7482907

Da Bomb is great. I used to put it in my personal bowls of chili when we had a party there too.

PRODUCT DETAILS
Size : 4oz
Regular Price : 12.15
Heat Level : 10+ (Extreme)
Bottle Type:
Color :
Consistency :
Produced in :
Style :
Manufacturer :
Themes : Extract * Collector's Favorite * Humor * * Fits In Display Box
Ingredients : Pineapple juice, Habaneros, tomato paste, water, natural pepper flavoring, lemon and lime juices, spices.

If you want to stick to Dave's brand - try his Dave's special reserve, that is killer.

cart7
10-18-05, 07:50 AM
I was watching a chili tasting contest on the tele awhile back. They brought out this one which was a concentrated extract of some weird chili pepper, very exotic.
The tasters were only allowed to taste an amount that would fit on the head of a pin, it was so hot!!! Friggin unbelievable and most of them wound up cramming cans of whipped cream in their mouths to cool it down! (canned whipped cream is apparently the extinguisher of choice for really hot, hot chili tasters followed by milk). The cooks said the concoction was used if you wanted to really spice up a dish without adding any flavor associated with chili's.

nrc
10-18-05, 08:27 AM

Seems like WB should have applied this rule:

b. COOKS MAY HAVE TO TASTE THEIR CHILI - At the discretion of the head judge or CASI Referee, chili cooks may be required to remove the lids from their chili cups and taste their chili before turning in for judging. (If a contestant refuses, his or her chili will be disqualified.)

devilmaster
10-18-05, 02:29 PM
I was watching a chili tasting contest on the tele awhile back. They brought out this one which was a concentrated extract of some weird chili pepper, very exotic.
The tasters were only allowed to taste an amount that would fit on the head of a pin, it was so hot!!! Friggin unbelievable and most of them wound up cramming cans of whipped cream in their mouths to cool it down! (canned whipped cream is apparently the extinguisher of choice for really hot, hot chili tasters followed by milk). The cooks said the concoction was used if you wanted to really spice up a dish without adding any flavor associated with chili's.

Probably straight capcaisin. It can be found around in specialty hot sauce stores, and you probably have to sign a waiver to buy it. Or else it was the mercilous peppers of Quetzelsakatanango - grown in the forest prime-evil by the inmates of a Guatamalan Insane Asylum. :D

Ankf00
10-18-05, 02:58 PM
Uh, Wiggy? My chili's getting cold.

:D

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-05, 04:26 PM
If you want to stick to Dave's brand - try his Dave's special reserve, that is killer.

Where do you get that?

I have some of the regular Insanity Sauce, I just don't use it on a regular basis like the Hurtin' Habanero.

Ankf00
10-18-05, 05:04 PM
Where do you get that?

I have some of the regular Insanity Sauce, I just don't use it on a regular basis like the Hurtin' Habanero.

Ok, wussy.

devilmaster
10-18-05, 05:47 PM
Where do you get that?

I was first introduced to it when I lived in Halifax. There was a store in the Barrington Place shops mall which was a hot sauce store. Thats all they sold. They had walls and walls of sauces and other hot spices and such. And they also had one bottle of almost every brand open behind the counter for tasting. :cool: I used to spend hours in that place, and burnt many a tastebud too i think.

Don't think its open anymore.... Any halgonians out there can figger that out for me? [edit] Doesn't look like its open. It was called 'Jobe's House of Peppers' great store.....

You might have to mail order it, or see if you can find a hot sauce store somewhere in your area.....

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw1108.html

rabbit
10-18-05, 05:57 PM
Foyt Fuchility (http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/35779/)

devilmaster
10-18-05, 06:01 PM
k - Back to the point of this thread.....

WB - perhaps this is what was added....

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1866_45156963

Pure Cap..500,000 Scoville units! This sauce is hotter than hot! You must be a responsible adult to use this food additive.Add five drops of pure cap to your favorite chili or stew and then hold on to your seat. Vegetable Oil and Capsaisin. 2 oz.

Customer Reviews
Brian (7-21-2005)
This sauce is the best... I would recommend it to everyone!
pad
Jimmy Liang (7-09-2005)
A couple drops of pure cap in my soy sauce, really spices up my sushi!
pad
Michael J. Smith (8-15-2005)
Freind gave me as a joke. LOVE IT for cooking pure form of heat without ANY after tastes of other hot sauces!
pad
Adam (8-8-2005)
This hot sauce ruined my night! My brother put a couple drops of my peice of celery and I had to run to the bartender for a pitcher of water, milk, and bread. I didn't eat or drink anything for the rest of the night. Be careful!
pad
ben videki (9-18-2005)
i bet my buddies i could eat a tablespoon of this. i drank two quarts of milk. i got high from it and then i puked a half hour after. it the hottest thing in the world.

dando
10-18-05, 06:03 PM
Foyt Fuchility (http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/35779/)
Rabbit, that recipe calls fer Mexican beer. No way dats AJ's recipe. :gomer:

-Kevin

RichK
10-18-05, 06:16 PM
Vegetable Oil and Capsaisin. 2 oz.

Wussies had to go and dilute it with Vegetable Oil...... ;)

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-05, 06:41 PM
ben videki (9-18-2005)
i bet my buddies i could eat a tablespoon of this. i drank two quarts of milk. i got high from it and then i puked a half hour after. it the hottest thing in the world.

I am so trying that some day. :D

Ankf00
10-18-05, 07:00 PM
This calls for the homer simpson approach. Just wax-coat your mouth and drink some olive oil to coat your gastro-intestinal linings and protect them from 3rd degree burns. Then chug away.

Methanolandbrats
10-18-05, 07:08 PM
I am so trying that some day. :DIf you survive eating it you'll wish you had died when you torch your starfish the next morning :laugh:

cart7
10-18-05, 07:14 PM
I'm reminded of that scene in alien when they cut the thing on the table and the blood drips through the floor as well as about 3 or 4 more levels of the ship. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-05, 08:39 PM
If you survive eating it you'll wish you had died when you torch your starfish the next morning :laugh:

Been there, done that.

Just think, next time I post something that makes absolutely no sense, you guys can add "capsaisin high" to "drunk", "bored at work", or "girl rejection" on the list of possible explanations. ;)

Opposite Lock
10-18-05, 09:50 PM
If you survive eating it you'll wish you had died when you torch your starfish the next morning :laugh:

:rofl:

extramundane
10-08-06, 08:25 PM
I blame cart7 for this...he mentioned it last week and I've had chili on the brain ever since. Anyway, the weather's been crap all this weekend, so I decided to make chili with only the ingredients I had on hand. Turned out remarkably well for a last minute throw-together:

1.5lbs ground beef
.5 lb salt & pepper-flavored ground sausage
1 vidalia onion, diced
1 cube garlic (We process whole heads then freeze in ice cube trays, for use when we're out of fresh heads)
3 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp cumin
12 oz homebrewed All-Amarillo Amber Ale

Melt 3 tbsp butter in cast-iron skillet, add garlic, carmelize the hell out of onion, then add beef, sausage, & spices. Cook 'til meat is done, transfer contents to bowl, deglaze pan with several ounces of beer, scrape pan, then pour into meat bowl.

Meanwhile, add to food processor

2/3 of #10 Can Italian peeled tomatoes (~70 oz?)
7oz can habaneros in adobo sauce (works out to about 7 chiles)
1 cube garlic

Pulse a few times to break up tomatoes & chiles. Transfer to heated cast-iron dutch oven and add 12 oz tomato paste and rest of beer. Simmer 15 minutes, add contents of meat bowl plus 1 can drained red beans.

After another 45 minutes of simmering, it was still a little thin for my tastes, so I added a cornstarch slurry for thickening. Covered and simmered on VERY low heat for another 90 minutes, removed from heat, let cool, then refridgerated for 2 hours, then brought entire pot slowly back up to medium-high temperature. Sprinkled dried crushed chiles over each bowl, topped with shredded Cabot extra sharp cheddar & Trader Joe's tortilla chips, and served with fresh cornbread and a hell of a lot more of that Amarillo Amber.

Now that's good eats.

oddlycalm
10-08-06, 10:44 PM
Now that's good eats. You had me at heavily caramalized vidalias. Only one question, were they really habeneros or did you mean chipotle? Either way, probaby not for the timid. :D

oc

devilmaster
10-08-06, 11:10 PM
I am so trying that some day. :D

Calling Stu, you got a job to do...

chop456
10-09-06, 04:20 AM
1 31 oz. can Brooks Chili Hot Beans
2 14.5 oz. cans Brooks just for chili diced tomatoes
3 lbs. ground beef
3 medium onions
2 tb Garlic powder
1 28 oz. can tomato puree
8-10 Japalenos
1 12 oz. can tomato paste
1 tb dried mustard
3 tb cumin
2 tb brown sugar
1 tb ground Coriander
6 tb Chili powder
2 tb celery salt
2 tb tarragon
3 tb oregano
2 tb dried basil

Brown the meat until it's dry and there's no more steam from the pan. It should be almost burned. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Add 1 cup of water to the pan and scrape all the browned bits from the bottom. The water should turn brown, and this is your starter.

Cut the stems off the Jalapenos and slit them 2x, but not all the way to the end. You want to remove the seeds, but be able to retrive the peppers from the pot intact later so your wife doesn't whine about it being too hot.

At this point add all the other ingredients except the meat and beans.

Add 2 more cups of water. Cook this on low heat, stirring every 5 minutes. After 45 minutes, taste it and adjust the seasoning. I usually end up adding more Cumin, Chili powder and salt. Remove the Jalapenos. If you're any kind of a man, eat them. Add the meat and beans and cook for 15 more minutes. Make sure the consistency is where you want it BEFORE you do the final seasoning adjustment. If you want it thinner, add more water :gomer: , then do the final tasting/seasoning adjustment.

I add onions, cheese, sour cream, fresh Cilantro, and pepper/vinegar sauce.

Turn7
10-09-06, 11:46 AM
Chop,

If you use this as a base for chili, you don't need most of those ingredients.

http://shopuncleharrys.dukestores.duke.edu/images/spaghetti%20sauce%20031.jpg

Just add meat, beans, onion, chili powder and cumin and viola, damn good chili.

extramundane
10-09-06, 12:22 PM
You had me at heavily caramalized vidalias. Only one question, were they really habeneros or did you mean chipotle? Either way, probaby not for the timid. :D

oc

Yeah, duh, I meant chipotle. Had habs on the brain, apparently. 7 of those could be fun, though.

Ankf00
10-09-06, 12:25 PM
Yeah, duh, I meant chipotle. Had habs on the brain, apparently. 7 of those could be fun, though.

watchout for your cornhole, bud. :)

cart7
10-09-06, 08:54 PM
Sorry, I figured just the mentioning chili this time of year, what with foosball starting, would ressurect one of those chili threads. :D Speaking of chili, I'm thinking about getting a pot going this weekend.

G.
10-09-06, 11:58 PM
Yeah, duh, I meant chipotle. Had habs on the brain, apparently. 7 of those could be fun, though.BE CAREFUL!!!!

I got my ass into a lot of, well, I got burned, I mean the heat was on, er, anyway, please try to be careful with the mistakes.

It hurts.
A lot.

Still.:saywhat:

Lizzerd
10-10-06, 12:06 AM
^^ Fire in the hole?

chop456
10-10-06, 01:42 AM
^ Babies. This guy's going to need an ice pack and a garden hose. Possibly some liquid nitrogen.

Burning Ring Of Fire (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/4245238.html)

Joelski
10-10-06, 10:01 AM
Ground zer0!:

http://static.flickr.com/32/101823939_57396a6c85_m.jpg

Ankf00
10-10-06, 10:07 AM
^ Babies. This guy's going to need an ice pack and a garden hose. Possibly some liquid nitrogen.

Burning Ring Of Fire (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/4245238.html)

state fair now serves "fried coke" :D

chop456
10-10-06, 11:04 AM

And it's 7UP, right? :gomer: :p

Opposite Lock
10-10-06, 11:13 AM

(recipe from the cookbook "In The Kitchen With Richard Pryor")

trauma1
10-10-06, 11:57 AM
pull my finger

oddlycalm
10-10-06, 02:39 PM
For what it's worth (exactly what you paid for it), here are some general thoughts on using chile, most apply to cooking chili but can apply to anything using chile peppers.

First, start off easy. As food cooks down flavor, salt and heat concentrate. What tastes just right at the beginning may become way too much by the end of the cook.

The best modulator for capsaicin heat is sugar. If whatever you're cooking gets too hot, a gob of honey will fix it and you won't even taste the honey in the finished product. Same thing if you burn your mouth seriously; sugar water will put the fire out better than anything else. Milk and bread are distant 2nd place choices.

There's a way to get really great chile flavor without getting burned. Using a combination ground ancho, pasillo, and New Mexico chile powder (the grocery store will have these in the Mexican section pre-ground) will build up layers of flavor. Mix it up with some fresh ground coriander, cumin and Mexican oregano and add in some water and saute the resulting paste a few minutes in the pot over medium heat until the aroma blooms. Don't scorch it or it becomes bitter.

You can always adjust the heat upward easily anytime you want, so wait until the finish and add more (or hotter) chile. This is called the finishing powder and the 2nd dump is used to tune flavor and brighten it. You can also make it hotter if you feel the need. I don't care about really hot assburnin' chili, so I keep the finishing powder pretty much the same as what I started with. I like the taste of that brick red New Mexico chile powder, so that's what I use most of. Some cooks use 3 dumps of chile, but that's too much interference in my beer drinking so I use 2.

I like one fresh jalapeno in the mix at the beginning to freshen the flavor when I cook chili, but I take out the seeds and membrane so it doesn't increase the heat during he cook and dice it so it all cooks down and disappears.

oc

devilmaster
07-27-07, 03:40 PM
a quick bump to a good thread.....

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1768760

wuss. :D

oddlycalm
07-28-07, 07:42 PM
Someone suckered that kid into biting into a whole habenaro, seeds membrane and all. :eek: The next 5hrs of his life were sheer misery unless someone had a gallon of sugar water to put out the fire.

Nice clip DM :thumbup:

oc

Gnam
08-16-07, 05:41 PM
India goes nuclear. Story (http://test.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6511921)

How many jigawatts is 10^6 Scoville units equal to? ;)

Ankf00
08-16-07, 06:37 PM
enough to light up all of Karachi, Lahore, and everything in between like a christmas tree for the next 10,000 years :D

devilmaster
08-17-07, 12:05 AM
India goes nuclear. Story (http://test.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6511921)

How many jigawatts is 10^6 Scoville units equal to? ;)

I wanna try one! :cool:

Ankf00
08-17-07, 01:53 PM
I ate an entire bhut jolokia the other night, sitting at my dining room table with an open beer and — on the advice of the experienced — a bowl of yogurt and a few slices of bread at the ready.

I had the strange fear that nothing would happen, that I had traveled halfway across India in search of a chili that would be no hotter than an apple. I thought I was prepared.

What followed was a gastronomic mugging.

I know, I know. You probably think I'm exaggerating, or maybe just inexperienced in the ways of chilis.

"I like hot peppers," you're saying to yourself, thinking of those times — you were probably in college, maybe your early 20s — when you'd had too much to drink and challenged a friend to a chili-pepper-eating contest. You slopped down one jalapeno after another, enjoying the way it battered your system.

I used to think like that too. But that was before my encounter the other night, when I took the first nibble from the end of a red vegetable barely two inches long and weighing little more than a sheet of paper.

"Not too bad," I said aloud to the empty room. My ignorance lasted about three seconds.

It was hot. Hotter than anything I'd ever eaten. My tongue burned, I began to cough.

I knew I'd have to eat quickly, or I wouldn't be able to finish it. So I took another bite, and chewed. Then another. I ate down to the stem. I swallowed.

It's not how bhut jolokias are normally eaten — most locals use them in sauces, or chew off tiny pieces between bites of their main course — but I figured I should get the full experience (Plus, let me add, one of my editors suggested this exercise in masochism: Thank you, Ken).

The full experience? It was awful. My eyes watered uncontrollably and my nose ran. I felt like I was gargling with acid. My hands quivered. As the minutes passed, the pain grew worse.

I shoveled in yogurt: No relief. I chewed bread: Nothing. My head felt like it was expanding. My ears felt as if hot liquid was draining from them. Picture one of those old Tom and Jerry cartoons, with steam blasting from Tom's ears as a train whistle blows. That was me.

The experts say beer and water do no good at such times. Maybe that's true, but gulps of very cold beer were the only things that helped me — washing away the pain for a few blessed seconds.

Twenty minutes later, I had recovered enough to speak clearly.

So I called my wife in New York, where she is on vacation with our children. She laughed at me.

A day later, my tongue felt as if it had been scrubbed with a wire brush.

still want one?

devilmaster
08-17-07, 02:08 PM
still want one?

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/smiliedrool.gif

D'uh! Or course I still want one! :D

Some pansy who thinks jalapenos makes him some sort of a chili expert won't dissuade me. :laugh:

Ankf00
08-17-07, 04:49 PM
The Link (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=bbqpit&Number=5139682&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

Mrs Idahorn2 and I ate at the world's oldest Indian restaurant, Veeraswamy's in London in 1973. They had a chutney that lit me up like a Bunsen burner. My teeth burned and were in pain. Not very scientific, but I drank three quick beers to little avail.
I was weaned on tamales and eat jalapenos with impunity. Habaneros are hot, but nothing like that chutney. It was brown and looked like it had little sticks in it. I'm sure there must have been other ingredients in it, but it could not have mattered what they were.

Still want one? :D

(and I'm throwing in $20 if you do ;))

devilmaster
08-17-07, 05:11 PM
The Link (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=bbqpit&Number=5139682&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

Still want one? :D

(and I'm throwing in $20 if you do ;))

Yes! Sheesh. It may blow a hole in the colon and make me meet my spirit guide, but I wanna try it. I like the burn. Before you can experience pleasure, you must experience pain. :laugh:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1963_51028133

chop456
08-17-07, 06:29 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1963_51028133

I'd hit it.

"Grown by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum!"

pchall
08-18-07, 12:50 PM
One important thing I learned from my Mexican friends is NOTHING can be too hot if you have lots of brown sugar handy. Brown sugar will fix any cooking mistake you make and help quell any internal volcano you make trying to show off like a Texan by eating Scotch Bonnet peppers raw.

Ankf00
11-02-07, 05:52 PM
it's 'bout that time.

going to try some elk & venison this weekend

cart7
11-05-07, 08:07 AM
Made my first batch of the season last night...

Hmmm...., the wife loved it, I thought it was bland. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. :confused:

Ankf00
11-05-07, 12:06 PM
mine turned out to be a mess :\

stroker
11-05-07, 12:33 PM
I don't have much to contribute to this conversation except one little thing--

had some leftover chili last night that wasn't very good--far too weak and generic. Decided to try and recover it. The War Department jumped on me for wasting good ingredients on lousy chili. I added ground beef, italian sausage (both uncooked), tomato sauce, RoTel extra hot diced tomato, a can of regular diced tomato, a can of red beans (only because the War Department insists on it) and a pack of generic Fajita seasoning. Left it to simmer a few hours.

Tried it last night just before putting it up in the fridge. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. I think the Fajita seasoning worked really well, just for a change. It's chili, but not the same old chili you're used to. Somebody else here might want to give it a try.

Andrew Longman
11-05-07, 12:57 PM
I did this on Saturday. Mmmmmm good.

CINCINNATI "SKYLINE" CHILI

1 qt. water
2 med. onions, finely chopped
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
5 whole allspice or 1/2 tsp. ground
1 1/2 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
3-4 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 lbs. ground beef
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 whole bay leaf
5 whole cloves
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Add ground beef to water in 4 quart pot. Stir until beef separates to a fine texture. Boil slowly for 30 minutes. Add all other ingredients. Stir to blend, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. Pot may be covered the last hour after desired consistency is reached.
Chili should be refrigerated overnight, so that the fat can be lifted from top before reheating. Serve over spaghetti. Serve with oyster crackers.

3-way: spaghetti, sauce, finely grated Cheddar cheese

4-way: spaghetti, sauce, cheese, onions

5-way: spaghetti, sauce, cheese, onions, beans.

Ankf00
11-05-07, 01:12 PM
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate

chili + chocolate == does not compute

tllips
11-05-07, 01:20 PM

I saw a cooking show on HGTV a month or two back (I think it may have been "Semi-Homemade" but don't quote me on that) where she added cocoa powder to her chili. She said it does not add sweetness, but does add a new complexity to the taste. I plan on trying it the next time I make chili this season.

TKGAngel
11-05-07, 02:07 PM
It must've been chili weekend, since I made a pot too. I couldn't use ground beef, since the whole e.coli recall has sworn me off of ground beef for awhile. The chili didn't turn out too bad with ground turkey instead. I also had to make it milder than I would have liked, since the mom unit's a wimp on spices. I guess that's why they make Frank's Red Hot.

Andrew Longman
11-05-07, 02:29 PM

I'm (was) with ya.

I've made Cinncy Chili many times, but this was the first time I took the plunge and added the cocoa powder. It does not make the chili "chocolaty" but does add to the already complex flavoring from all the other spices.

And TKG, I wouldn't worry about ecoli in chili. Once its cooked for 3 hours nothing scary is going to be left living. Just be careful handling the raw meat, but you do that anyway.

Ankf00
11-05-07, 02:35 PM
cincitucky greek sauce != chili :p

TKG: do per Oddlycalm's recipe, buy stewing beef/chuck roast/something cheap & big and hefty, chop it up, brown it on all surfaces, then toss it in the pot for the requisite number of horus.

Stu
11-05-07, 06:12 PM
I did this on Saturday. Mmmmmm good.

1 qt. water

You can stop right there with the first ingredient. Skyline chili = failure.

nrc
11-05-07, 08:09 PM
Skyline is tastey no matter what you call it.

Methanolandbrats
11-05-07, 08:39 PM
cocoa powder is an essential ingredient of enchilada sauce and some other mexican sauces. Thanks for the idea to add it to my chili recipe. :thumbup:

cart7
11-05-07, 09:04 PM
Made my first batch of the season last night...

Hmmm...., the wife loved it, I thought it was bland. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. :confused:

Re-heated a bowl for lunch. Much better. I realized I didn't get the oregeno and rosemary into the pot till the last 30 min of simmer. Waaay too late for the flavors to work. The overnight sit in the fridge helped. Much fuller tasting today but not my best work.

oddlycalm
11-05-07, 09:53 PM
chili + chocolate == does not compute You've had plenty of chili with chocolate in it but just didn't know it. A lot of Texas chili cooks use it and it's been used forever in Mexican sauces.

Here's a take on the traditional Texas chili recipe. Notice the ingredient fourth from the bottom. Not a lot different from what I cook but just enough that I'd bet it has a deeper flavor than mine.
Tyler Florence Texas chili recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28277,00.html)

My favorite "secret" ingredient isn't a spice but rather doing everything from browning the meat to simmering it ouside on the bbq with just a hint of wood smoke. I'm not hardcore enough to do it outside in the winter though.

oc

Don Quixote
11-06-07, 01:25 AM

Sorry dude, I must strongly disagree. Off the beaten path in Puerto Vallerto there is a resturant called Repollo Rojo that serves about 10 different mole sauces, most of which contain chocolate. The food is close your eyes/orgasmic good. Open your mind, oh Texan grasshopper.

Don Quixote
11-06-07, 01:25 AM
Skyline is tastey no matter what you call it.
Agreed. I crave Skyline bigtime.

Ankf00
11-06-07, 11:53 AM
Off the beaten path in Puerto Vallerto there is a resturant called Repollo Rojo that serves about 10 different mole sauces, most of which contain chocolate. The food is close your eyes/orgasmic good. Open your mind, oh Texan grasshopper.mole == allsome and chocolatey (as long as the mole is above average, otherwise, it's :yuck:, and save yourself the airfare to PV next time and hit up Curra's in Austin on S. Oltorf right east of S. Congress, get the pastor too :)) but mole != chili :p

cocoa powder is an essential ingredient of enchilada sauce not in ranchero, or suiza, or your avg tomatillo based verde :) ("enchilada sauce" is like "bbq sauce," plenty of varieties. only necessity is chiles)

(and I know some use cocoa, but I'm hating on skyline here, lemme be dammit!)

oddlycalm
11-06-07, 04:03 PM
I know some use cocoa, but I'm hating on skyline here, lemme be dammit!The old joke around Cincinnati was that a 6-way was a 5-way with a roll of Rolaids served right in the chili.

oc

G.
01-04-08, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gnam View Post
India goes nuclear. Story

How many jigawatts is 10^6 Scoville units equal to?

I wanna try one! :cool:

Might not be the same pepper, but next times you cross over here...

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A Chicago tavern said on Thursday it will begin selling chicken wings coated in one of the world's hottest peppers -- a dish so hot that patrons first have to sign a waiver agreeing not to sue for injuries.
ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Melnick's Corner Tap said the wings made with Red Savina pepper will be served with an alarm bell for patrons to summon waiters with sour cream, milk sugar and white bread if things get out of hand.

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080104/od_nm/wings_dc;_ylt=AqSuADwVSQT_35wHWlri078DW7oF)

Ankf00
01-04-08, 10:24 PM
red savina's a variety of the Habanero

dando
01-04-08, 10:38 PM
Might not be the same pepper, but next times you cross over here...

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080104/od_nm/wings_dc;_ylt=AqSuADwVSQT_35wHWlri078DW7oF)

Red Savina == Habanero, which was considered the hottest pepper based on the Scoville chart. However, the ghost pepper has been rated as 2x+ hotter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

In any case, those wings are likely an inferno waiting to happen. IIRC, Quaker, Steak & Lube did/does the same thing with their Atomic wings. We have a place here in Cbus (Thurman Cafe) that has the hottest wings I've ever tasted. 10x over BWs Blazin' wings. Prolly about the same as the ones in Chitown.

-Kevin

dando
11-09-08, 08:34 PM
Chili time! First batch of the season in underway since 3:30. Yum! :thumbup:

-Kevin

trish
11-09-08, 09:01 PM
Chili time! First batch of the season in underway since 3:30. Yum! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Chili season starts in the fall?

As for the hottest pepper, I thought the scotch bonnet was the hottest.

nrc
11-09-08, 09:15 PM
We had a pot o' Shelby's the other night.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q7NJZQ8VL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Quick and easy way to make a some tasty chili.

Ankf00
11-10-08, 12:54 AM
Chili season starts in the fall?

As for the hottest pepper, I thought the scotch bonnet was the hottest.

scotch bonnet == habanero

hottest in world from this earlier post: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=204258&postcount=56

trish
11-10-08, 01:01 AM
scotch bonnet == habanero

Naga Jolokia from NE India is hottest tho

How can scotch bonnet be hotter than habanero if it is habanero? At least according to victory seeds (the part about being hotter).

Ankf00
11-10-08, 01:16 AM
habanero variety, rather.

chop456
11-10-08, 02:41 AM
We had a pot o' Shelby's the other night.

Quick and easy way to make a some tasty chili.
Yep. Great for the usually lazy person like me. I always pick up a few when they're on sale.

devilmaster
11-10-08, 07:21 AM
My friends, I have sinned against you.... (where have i heard that before? hmm... anyways...)

Yesterday i had a can (gasp) of stagg hormel chili.

I know it was wrong, but it was on the spur of the moment - I decided I wanted to try that chili cheese omelette from that diner in the feasting on asphalt river run second season....

you remember the one, cook uses half a stick of butter and basically makes a pan souffle?

worked great, i might have to try that again, this time with real chili. :thumbup:

on a side note, the cat, who usually sleeps at the foot of the bed, has been out in the living room meowing all night long. Not sure if the two are related or not. ;)

dando
11-10-08, 10:46 AM
My friends, I have sinned against you.... (where have i heard that before? hmm... anyways...)

I know it was wrong, but it was on the spur of the moment - I decided I wanted to try that chili cheese omelette from that diner in the feasting on asphalt river run second season....

you remember the one, cook uses half a stick of butter and basically makes a pan souffle?

worked great, i might have to try that again, this time with real chili. :thumbup:

on a side note, the cat, who usually sleeps at the foot of the bed, has been out in the living room meowing all night long. Not sure if the two are related or not. ;)

Did you feed the so-called chili to the cat? :saywhat: ;) Your penalty for your sin is being subjected to watching the Lions. :gomer:

-Kevin

devilmaster
11-10-08, 11:21 AM
Your penalty for your sin is being subjected to watching the Lions. :gomer:

-Kevin

Can't. They're blacked out... They can no longer sell out the stadium that was specifically built with almost 20000 seats less so that they'd never be blacked out again... :rofl:

lions free baby, lions free. :D

oddlycalm
11-10-08, 05:15 PM
My friends, I have sinned against you....
No worries, sub-chapter 23, article 14b of the Chili Regulations grants an exception for use of canned chili in service of a disticly separate recipe. :gomer: Sounds like a great recipe. :thumbup:

We've been experimenting with gumbo this fall rather than chili, but it's nearly impossible to buy fresh okra in this part of the world.

oc

Sean Malone
11-10-08, 05:35 PM

The chili omelette has been my favorite since I was a kid. Aren't they technically frittata's (an omellete with 'accessories')? I think Alton did an omelette show where he mentioned that, to the French, a true omellete is simply made with eggs and butter.

devilmaster
11-10-08, 06:20 PM
No worries, sub-chapter 23, article 14b of the Chili Regulations grants an exception for use of canned chili in service of a disticly separate recipe. :gomer: Sounds like a great recipe. :thumbup:

We've been experimenting with gumbo this fall rather than chili, but it's nearly impossible to buy fresh okra in this part of the world.

oc

skip the okra and get file powder.... it thickens it and adds that flavour that you want. :thumbup:

As for the omelette, I'm about to open a southern restaurant and in the space I found an old milkshake mixer, which made me think of the omelette. So i had to try it out. :D Might actually use that recipe for all the omelettes... and then i'll buy stock in the butter company. ;)

Oh and btw, for those who didn't know, Alton did a book on the 2nd season of Feasting on asphalt. Decent read, even if some of it is almost word for word repeat of the show.

http://images.booksense.com/images/stores/6701/storeevents/FEASTING%20ON%20ASPHALT.jpg

oddlycalm
11-11-08, 03:34 PM
skip the okra and get file powder.... it thickens it and adds that flavour that you want. :thumbup:
Yup, Filé powder is what I use because I can get it easily but I'd like to make a batch with okra. I know the flavor difference because I've had gumbo thickened with okra while in Shreveport but I've never cooked a pot with it myself. The protein (slime) on the outside of the okra works like the Filé to thicken the gumbo.

oc