PDA

View Full Version : Chili cookoff

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
11-11-08, 04:07 PM
Yup, Filé powder is what I use because I can get it easily but I'd like to make a batch with okra. I know the flavor difference because I've had gumbo thickened with okra while in Shreveport but I've never cooked a pot with it myself. The protein (slime) on the outside of the okra works like the Filé to thicken the gumbo.

oc

Have you checked the local Whole Paycheck out yonder? They usually have the niche foods the local megamarts don't carry...@ least around these parts. And yes, Okra makes a difference compared to sassyfrass leaves.

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-12-08, 02:30 AM
skip the okra :thumbup:

i'd call you a commie, but we already know you're a canuck.

:D

stroker
11-12-08, 11:16 PM
i'd call you a commie, but we already know you're a canuck.

:D

There's a difference?

;)

Methanolandbrats
11-12-08, 11:19 PM
There's a difference?

;)
Better beer in Canada:D

stroker
10-02-12, 06:43 PM
I'm working on my entry into our annual workplace Halloween Chili Competition. I'm doing something different this year with smoked pork and Navy Beans. My test batch had what I would consider to be a "normal" amount of fresh jalapenos. It was about 90% of the spiciness level I would normally go for, which is probably hotter than what most folks would want. The problem I want to solve is that it had too much capsaicin flavor. I need something more "pepper" flavor that doesn't reek of jalapenos. Can anyone suggest a good pepper that's similar to jalapeno that isn't quite so acidic?

dando
10-02-12, 06:58 PM
I'm working on my entry into our annual workplace Halloween Chili Competition. I'm doing something different this year with smoked pork and Navy Beans. My test batch had what I would consider to be a "normal" amount of fresh jalapenos. It was about 90% of the spiciness level I would normally go for, which is probably hotter than what most folks would want. The problem I want to solve is that it had too much capsaicin flavor. I need something more "pepper" flavor that doesn't reek of jalapenos. Can anyone suggest a good pepper that's similar to jalapeno that isn't quite so acidic?

Anaheim, or make sure the seeds and ribs are removed from the jalapenos, which reduces the heat factor a bunch. Alternative is to used chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos), which are much milder and will go well with the smoked pork.

-Kevin

stroker
10-02-12, 07:32 PM
Anaheim, or make sure the seeds and ribs are removed from the jalapenos, which reduces the heat factor a bunch. Alternative is to used chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos), which are much milder and will go well with the smoked pork.

-Kevin

Oh, yeah, I always seed them buggers. I used rubber gloves, too, as it KILLS you under your fingernails if you don't.... :)

Thanks for the tip. Batch #2 will have some Anaheim peppers.